Need some motivating friends!

Options
tissyazd
tissyazd Posts: 221 Member
Hi! I am a 28 year old stay at home mom of a 20 month old. I ideally would like to lose 50 pounds, maybe more if I can achieve this goal. I have been doing MFP for two weeks and lost six pounds. My husband is super motivating and supportive! He is losing weight and watching calories and exercising, too, but he has already lost 12 pounds. While I am SUPER proud of him, and realize he is a man, it can be discouraging to see that he lost 3 pounds, then two, when I lost 1 and then none or whatever. I would love to have updates on women, too. So, I can see what is realistic and keep me going. I am discouraged because I feel like I even do a little better than him, yet the weight just flies off of him! Anyone want to be my MFP friend-hehe?

Replies

• Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I'm always looking for additional friends to give/receive support, so please feel free to add me!!

And don't worry about the pace that he is losing...you are doing great!!! Keep it up!!
  • blackchick85
    Options
    Well i have only lost 10lbs in 4 weeks, dont give up tho because for 2 weeks i only a total of 2lbs. You can add me if you like , i love encouraging my friends!
  • Jamiebee24
    Jamiebee24 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me!

I know how it can be with a husband just loosing with little or no effort!! My hubby is trying to gain right now! he wants to gain 30 while I want to loose 30!
  • JennaMarie3
    JennaMarie3 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    you can add me, too! my husband is not interested in losing any weight, so it's just me! I ALWAYS need supportive friends!!!
  • VSgirl2010
    VSgirl2010 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Yes, my future husband just mentions he's going to diet or works out a few times, or gives up ONE fave food and loses gobs of weight over my sacrifices which seem to be MORE than his, and I only lose a couple pounds. It took me 4 months to lose 9 pounds and him 2 weeks to lose 10 pounds, literally. I wanted to throw him in the lake I was so mad.... LOL!! However- it is as known FACT that men lose quicker than women. Its our genetic make-up. I have to wonder if its because they don't do emotional eating as much? or because of their muscle mass? or because they are better problem solvers than we are, statistically- Like a man says I have to lose weight and they do it. A woman says I have to lose weight and we think about it too much. Google Joy Bauer from the TODAY show, she seems to really know how it is that men lose faster and quicker than women. Along with other great tips. I find it helps to get all the HELP you can when losing weight! Good luck!
  • jandv1991
    jandv1991 Posts: 19
    Options
    You can add me too
  • curiouscat19
    Options
    Hie,
    Feel free to add me too if you like, I can try help you to loose the weight as I'm trying to loose some too. So any new friends are welcome.
  • cheermom614
    Options
    Everyone needs support and motivation so feel free to add me to your friends list. I'm much better at motivating other people than I am myself! My husband and I have the same kinda thing going on now too. I agree it's always frustrating to see pounds melt off him while I've been stuck for weeks at the same weight. The one thing I have tried to do is not pay so much attention to the scale but to take my measurements. The scale doesn't always tell you everything! :)
  • jdsouthernbelle
    Options
    You can add me as well...I am on here every day.
  • shelli1982
    shelli1982 Posts: 133
    Options
    Hey there :) I'm 28 too, wanting to lose about 40 more than i've already lost (and i'm without the excuse of a baby!)

Feel free to add me, just like some of the other girls on here, my husband is just a TINY bit overweight but he just stops drinking soda or eating chips (which I stopped months ago) and he loses 7 lbs... I had a proud moment where I finally weighed less than him (it had been a while) and now he's catching me up again, oh well!

Good luck, you're off to a GREAT start with your weight loss!
  • kassyk
    kassyk Posts: 14
    Options
    Hi
    Feel free to add as friend
    My Husband is the perfect weight so he has no interest in trying to lose granted he does support me in my progress
    Remember to all people are different and lose weight at different rates so don't get discourage
    Just keep calories at 1200 and continue to eat healthy it will come
  • stonebreaker0417
    Options
    feel free to add me also. it is discouraging when you see the weight fly off the men and us as women have to really work at it. but what doesn't kill us will make us better. please always remember that what you lose in wieght or inches you should be very proud of yourself11
  • NicolaGoodyear
    Options
    Hiya,
    well firstly well done on the weight you have lost so far!!..great job,i started this weightloss journey in feb 2010 i decided to join the gym i weighed 217lbs which i was shocked about!!...so far to date ive lost 51lbs taking me to 166...and want to loose 26lbs more to get to my goal of 140.i understand what you say about doing so well and you loose 2 whilst you partner looses more,i only have to look at a piece of chocolate and ive put on weight it really does suck i get disheartened too, so im offering my services as a motivational friend! good luck hun :-) x x x
  • badrianne
    badrianne Posts: 101
    Options
    Your story reminds me of those commercials! I can't think of the name, but they are for metabolism boosters.

Just know that you are doing great. Everyone loses at different rates. Heck I have only lost 4 pounds in a month. Imagine where you will be six months or a year from now. Slow weight loss is more sustainable and thank your lucky stars you have a supportive hubby and not one who wants to shove ho-hos down your thoat, lol. Good luck!!
  • NewImprovedCnbethea1
    Options
    You can add me I would love motivating and encouraging each other to reach our goals!!
  • Soon2beskinny73
    Soon2beskinny73 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome to MFP ....this is a great place for motivation and support!!

I understand about the husband thing as well , mine is the same way ....all he has to do is give up one favorite food and BAM he loses big time but I am a whole different story and it is discouraging but the way I look at it is I can keep on going and doing what I am doing such as counting my calories/carbs and make sure I get in some exercise at least 3X per week and lose only a few pounds a month or I can stop and gain a few pounds a month ........I rather be losing than gaining and if that means only losing a few pounds a month then so be it :) At least that is how I think of it and it gets me through :)

Since starting my journey I have lost a total of 79 lbs. but that has taken me three years to accomplish so it can be discouraging but with the thyroid issues I have it makes it just that much harder. But why do woman lose slower than men? My doctor has told me it's due to the fact that woman have more fat deposits ...lucky us LOL. Any ways my whole point is no matter how long it takes us to lose the weight at least we are working towards our goal and eventually we all will get there :) Good luck on your journey here and add me if you like ...I love encouraging my friends on here!!!
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Don't try to compete with him. Men lose weight faster because they have a higher percentage of muscle than women. Muscle will burn calories at a higher rate than fat. If you think about it, you are losing the same, maybe not in numbers, but in the fact that he has more muscle. If anything, think about how much more energy you will have to play with your child and how much better you will feel and look at the end.

Never compare yourself to anyone else when it comes to weight loss. Everyone is built differently and people do things differently.

Take care.
  • greerv72
    greerv72 Posts: 15
    Options
    Those darn men! I know exactly what you're talking about-my boyfriend rarely works out, eats whatever he wants, and the only time he's really forced to exercise is when he's at drill once a month for the Army. He literally comes back LOOKING more toned and muscular. Meanwhile, I struggle to lose a few lbs, even though I eat healthy and try to workout 5-6 times a week. It can be extremely discouraging, but don't let that knock you off your fitness wagon! Remember WHY you are doing this for yourself, and the results you want to have. Sure, it will take you a bit longer than your husband to get there, but the final reward will be the same. That is something that's always helped keep me motivated--just picturing that end result! You've been trying so hard already, why go back now?! Sounds like you're doing great!!
  • JENROMERO
    JENROMERO Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Well, my baby is 15 and I am still trying to lose the weight...if that makes you feel better! lol And my live in boyfriend who is 6'3" compared to me at 5'4" can handle eating several times a day. Not easy to count calories around someone like that! And yes, he starts running and drops 5 lbs asap. So, I completely understand....we just have to work harder at it. Not fair, I know.
    I'm new to this website as well and looking for friends too!
  • skinemols
    skinemols Posts: 2
    Options
    I am right there with you. My husband and I have been doing this for about 3 weeks now and the weight is just falling off of him! As always not so fast with me. Last week was a pretty good week, but I'm at week 3 and I'm not seeing much movement on the scale. Of course it's also that time where my tracking starts slipping. I could use the added support as well! Cheers!