How often do you workout in a week

Options
13»

Replies

• Eileen889
    Eileen889 Posts: 117
    Options
    I work out for 40 to 60 minutes a day, 6 days a week. I take every Sunday off.
  • adopt321
    adopt321 Posts: 111
    Options
    This is me to.

Even though you have some pounds to drop, it could be difficult mustering up the energy to lift weights without adequate calorie intake. I'd just keep that in mind when you lift. If you're feeling to tired to lift it's likely to a) over training b) not enough calories to burn.
    4-6 times a week, need least two rest days
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    5 days a week 35-90 minutes per day.
  • treenuh_x
    treenuh_x Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    30 to 60 minutes every day.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    So far it's been 6 or 7 days a week, mix of cardio and strength (doing some programs that do both) or straight cardio. Probably going to switch to 3 days of each and one day off though... 45 minutes a day in average.
  • Liftnlove
    Liftnlove Posts: 235
    Options
    I am soooo new to exercise.... :huh: I have been working out & eatting 1200 calories for about 2 weeks now. I am able to do 60 minutes on the elliptical machine. That is pretty much all I am doing at this point. I am getting to the gym 3 times a week. Is this enough? I am trying to lose weight (40-50 pounds) and tone up. Should I go more often? I eventually want to start lifting weights but I was thinking I should get rid of some of this fat first. I don't know. I would love some ideas on a weekly work out schedule for someone just starting out...
    Thanks for any and all responses :bigsmile:

Congrats on starting to get healthier!! But please understand this--you will be better off if you start lifting weights NOW. You don't want to lose all that weight and then find that you're still not happy with the way you look. Lift NOW NOW NOW...start with 3 days a week. You don't wait until you're in shape to lift weights--lifting is what GETS you in shape.

Oh, and to answer your question, I lift 5x a week now (started with 3)...and do cardio 7x a week... I don't take a day off unless I'm sick, but I'm a bit extreme ;p
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I normally do 3 times a week.
  • cortneysmissionpossible
    Options
    Welcome to the world of fitness!

The only thing wrong with using the word "tone" is that it's a bit of a pet peeve to the diehards. It's basically a made up word that makes women comfortable with strength training because many are under the very wrong impression that they'll bulk up like men or professiona women bodybuilders do. Fact is, we're just not built like that and it takes a strict diet and exercise regime to even come even remotely close to getting "bulky". Plus, as women, we naturally have more body fat then men which softens the look of our muscles. Again, it takes fairly strict diet and training to have that more defined look.

So what you really mean to say is that you want to start strength training. And there's no need to wait. In fact, the sooner you start, the better off you'll be in the end. Strength training helps to retain the muscles many lose while dieting and the more muscle you have, the more calories you'll burn. You may build a bit of muscle in the beginning but as a woman and as someone on a caloric deficit diet, it won't be much. Make sure you'll also eating plenty of protein to retain that muscle. The minimum set by MFP is quite low by fitness standards so don't be afraid to let that one go in the red on a regular basis.

Now to answer your original question:

I personally workout at least 5x per week for 40-45 minutes. This time of year I usually start doing someting on the weekends regularly as well because it's warm and I want to get out for a walk or run.

As far as what "enough" is depends on your goals. What are you looking to achieve?

And by the way, you didn't mention it so I'm going to mention that you need to be eating back at least half of your exercise calories. MFP already sets you up with a deficit and if you don't eat the earned calories back, you're making that deficit too high for healthy weight loss. If you don't feel like you can eat more, try incorporating calorie dense snacks like nuts, seeds, eggs, etc AND get rid of any diet foods and eat the regular versions.

Good luck!

^^^yes!
  • LisaGirlfriend
    LisaGirlfriend Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. 1200 calories a day is not going to cut it if you're working out. You will lose muscle. I suggest you reset your MFP goal to lose 1 1b a week (instead of 2 1bs which is probably what you have it set to), and start at what it gives you. I ate 1200 calories for a year, did excessive cardio and got nowhere fast.

I workout 5 times a week and the other two days I'm moving (walking, skiing with my kids etc.). Rarely does a day go by where I do nothing. The 5 times a week I do 3x heavy lifting, 2x HIIT cardio and abs/yoga thrown in there too. I also walk to and from work at a fast pace every day Mon-Fri. I eat 1700 calories a day, am 5'3, and have 18 1bs to go. :-)
  • hamonk
    hamonk Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    4-6 times a week, need least two rest days

Can you still do Cardio on a rest day if you are not lifting?
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I workout 6 days a week on average but because I work shifts I take my rest day when it is possible so I might workout 10 days in a row if a day is coming up when it will be impossible to work our for example when I am on nights I can only sleep while the kids are at school so to work out impacts on sleep time and once the kids are home I am busy with homework feeding them etc and leave for work at 7.30 so it is hard to fit in a workout. My rest day changes ft week to work ANC I don't always have one some weeks I have more than one it depends on my family/ work commitments.
  • Alyssa__Lauren
    Alyssa__Lauren Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    4-6 times a week, depending on what else I have going on.
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Every freakin' day if I can. I am officially obsessed. I do strength and cardio every other day and just cardio on the opposite days. Yoga thrown in where I can fit it. In the warm seasons I try to walk every day too. It's not even really about calories so much anymore. Just makes me feel so much happier...
  • Chris99mu
    Chris99mu Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Work 3 days, workout 4 days
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    3/4 days (Push/Legs/Pull/Rest -> Repeat)
  • neacail
    neacail Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I go skating once a week. I occasionally walk the dog. When it warms up a bit more I'll start walking from the bus to my office (18 minutes each way), and when we get the RV back out there will be lots of hiking, paddling, and biking.

I'm really not into the gym thing anymore. Being out of the house from 7am to 6pm, I prefer to hang out with my little guy and play with Hot Wheels in the evening before he goes to bed.