high blood pressure and weight loss

Options
Hi,
I have been over weight since my teens and also have had high blood pressure almost as long. I am currently trying to loose between 70-80lbs. I am looking for friends who maybe in the same situation. I am on meds and have to limit what I can do because of my bp.

I'm 31 and a mom to a 4 and 2 year old. Please feel free to add me.

Replies

• thirstyflea
    thirstyflea Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have had slightly elevated BP for a few years but not enough to merit meds from my doctor. That being said, my BP has definitely gotten lower since I've been working out and losing weight. I know that high BP is sometimes hereditary, but even so, you should see some improvements! Have you been talking to your doctor about how far you can push yourself without putting yourself in danger? Maybe a good heart rate monitor would be good for you, until you understand what your limitations should be?
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I ran a half Marathon in 2 hours while on blood pressure medicine.

Start an exercise program and start eating clean.
  • terriejones
    terriejones Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Hi, I started on BP meds years ago to reduce the blood pressure in my kidneys (type ! diabetic) and extend their shelf life. Since then, I've add on a lot of weight and my BP went up. It's not too bad now and I don't have any limitations. Talk to your Dr. about what you can and can't do. And get a home BP monitor, take it to your next Dr. appt. and use it to check your BP and then have them check it with theirs and compare the readings. That will give you an idea of how the two compare and then you can check your BP at home and see how it's doing. As you lose weight and increase exercise, your meds may need to be lowered, especially if you're limiting your salt intake.
  • jillreed34
    jillreed34 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would like some friends to help motivate me and to eat right to lower bp
  • ausped
    ausped Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I will friend you. I have high blood pressure and don't have restrictions on exercise. I am a runner. Training for my 5th half marathon. I have 3 kids and a full time job so I know finding time to work out is hard.
    Unfortunately even after loosing 80 pounds I still have to take my meds...I am in the healthy weight range now.
  • ember673
    ember673 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am on a low dose meds right now. I have to watch because my heart rate shots up to night to fast while exercising. Like walking the other day my heart rate shot up to 218. :( I am working with my Dr to find a med that might work better for me with out bad side effects.
  • kiannarb
    kiannarb Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi, I started on BP meds years ago to reduce the blood pressure in my kidneys (type ! diabetic) and extend their shelf life. Since then, I've add on a lot of weight and my BP went up. It's not too bad now and I don't have any limitations. Talk to your Dr. about what you can and can't do. And get a home BP monitor, take it to your next Dr. appt. and use it to check your BP and then have them check it with theirs and compare the readings. That will give you an idea of how the two compare and then you can check your BP at home and see how it's doing. As you lose weight and increase exercise, your meds may need to be lowered, especially if you're limiting your salt intake.

Thanks for sharing.

I'm in the same boat. But High BP runs in my family. so, recently, I had to start taking meds. The hbp doesn't limit my activities. this past holiday season, my mom got me a home BP monitor. its easy to read and use and it talks to you with a British accent.
  • abbygrit
    abbygrit Posts: 19
    Options
    I've had pretty regular pre-hypertensive blood pressure readings recently myself and have at least 30 more pounds to lose. So I'll friend you and hope the exercise and weight loss will prevent my needing medication.

I'm a 31 year old mom of a 3 year old and a 1year old. :-)
  • abathurst1
    Options
    Hello, my name is Mrs.April Bathurst and I have been through the same challenges. My id is abathurst1 if you would like to add me as a friend. I too need someone to help me as much as I help them. It also makes it a little easier when you do not feel alone. I also have three childen 20, 18, 16. I am on several meds and I am morbadly obese. I am 39 yrs old. and I have had a lumbar fusion which changed my life in a bad way. I have to limit my activities due to severe pain in my back after doing activities. I would love to share with you and I would also know that you know how it feels and how hard it is for people in our situation as well as our medical backgrounds are similar. I am pleased to meet you and hope you accept me as I am. Have a Great day today and smile because you are worth it!!
  • kini324
    kini324 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hi- I have been on high blood pressure medication and high cholesterol med on and off from 26-30. Since losing the weight, I don't need them at all. Please feel free to add me for support! I have a 4 yr old and a 2.5 yr old too!

What kind of exercise are you doing? I'd recommend walking, yoga, pilates, and low intensity cardio if your doc is ok with that. Has he/she recommend exercise for you?

Good luck!!
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I had high bp during my last pregnancy and then 7 weeks pp it shot up again so they put me back on the meds I have only been on them for 2 weeks. My exercise isn't limited but my bp isn't that high. The highest was 140/90 for most people their doctor would just monitor and not immediately start meds but I have only one kidney so you can't screw around with that. I am hoping to drop this weight and drop the meds right along with it. I take labetalol it is actually used during pregnancy, but I never had any side effects from it so I asked if I could continue taking it and my doc told me as long as it works she doesn't have a problem. I was really worried about side effects.

Good luck
  • Iceman420
    Iceman420 Posts: 195
    Options
    Hey. I was diagnosed with High Blood Pressure last November, which was a major wake up call to me. Add me if you want, I've got plenty of weight to lose too.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    What do you have to limit?

I have high bp too, stage 2-3 and on meds. My doc said exercise is great for me.
  • criscollrj
    criscollrj Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hello - I am ill right now with bronchitis and just found out at my appt today that my lower number of blood pressure was 100 and they were concerned about that. I cannot remember the top number. A few years ago I was running in the 90s on the bottom and I was advised to lose weight. I did lose some at that time and the number went down. Since then I have actually lost 13 pounds per their records, and one month ago (after I already had lost about 5 pounds per my records) I had a good blood pressure reading at the gyno. So I don't know if blood pressure can go up when you're sick? At the appt I thought maybe I had taken robitussin DM cough syrup - they thought that could be the cuplrit, but when I came home and checked it was not DM. I did wait to take the Advil cold and sinus then as I had read that could raise it a little, but my fever went up to 100 so I had to take something so I did take one of those pills just to get to a functioning stage to take care of myself and the family.

I am getting the blood pressure rechecked on April 16 at my appt. I checked my sodium for the last week and pretty much it was under the recommended 2500 EXCEPT for today where I misbehaved a bit and it was about 3000. I am eating moderately from all food groups so that I can at least STICK to this without quitting - do I need to worry excessively right now about cutting down greatly on sodium and fats?

I also take niacin and fish oil for cholesterol (specifically, for me, triglycerides). I had not been taking it well lately so just bought new bottles and plan to start tonight. I don't know if this helps blood pressure as well - will have to research.

My diary is open - you'll see that I eat moderately from all groups including sweets and fats. I may cut down a bit but just not so much that I quit the diet - I don't have a good track record with sticking with these and I am going on 50+ days now and have lost (here) 7 pounds!

I do exercise moderately.
  • Jolene8992
    Jolene8992 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Im a rn and have never heard a dr say limit exercise if your on bp meds. Mine tells me to increase my cardio, lose weight and decrease my sodium intake.
  • Jolene8992
    Jolene8992 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Advil cold and sinus is horrible for hbp. First the ibuprofen alone increases it. Second the pseudophedrine in it can kill u. I use only Coricedan recommended for people with hypertension. Warch that sodium intake too
  • ChrisinGA
    ChrisinGA Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have High BP and trying to loose weight to hopefully not have high BP anymore. I want to get my CDL's but can't with high blood pressure right now don't have money for meds for it. just want to be more healthy. BTW I am 33, found out when I was 29
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I was on a couple different BP prescriptions up until a year or so ago- getting to a more normal weight and reducing sodium helped me tremendously. It will still creep up if I don't watch the sodium but not like before. My regular BP now is better than it was back when it was 'controlled' by the meds.
  • ChrisinGA
    ChrisinGA Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Advil cold and sinus is horrible for hbp. First the ibuprofen alone increases it. Second the pseudophedrine in it can kill u. I use only Coricedan recommended for people with hypertension. Warch that sodium intake too
    I didn't know that, I take stuff for headaches all the time Guess should look at the labels, also we just decided to start watching our sodium intakes, I eat way to much stuff with a high sod. count
  • mjculbertson4512
    mjculbertson4512 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I too have a bp issue. On meds, gained weight. I am off the couch since the first of the year and you can see in my picture I am down 24 pounds! Get with your doc, walking is a great exercise and generally won't spike your heartrate/bp as much as other exercises. Start with walking and work up to running or weight training. Walking too hard on land? Try water walking in the pool, supports your weight. A lap pool is only waist deep, so you would need to worry about being a swimmer.

I find staying away from most canned goods, processed meats and eating out, keeps my sodium levels down. I retain water like a sponge and my bp goes up everytime I retain water. This means cooking at home, lots! Get back to me if you need menu ideas.

Good luck!