it's starting to get to me.

Options
I've been at this for 3 months (doing body revolution for 2 months) yes, i have lost 10 pounds and i'm happy with that .. but i am starting to get discouraged. I'm not planning on stoping because i want to be a healthy active person, it's just so depressing.
I just measures this morning and the only place i've lost is the small part of my waist .. 1.5 inch . My pants feel looser a little on some days .. other days like today .. i feel no different.
I try and be very dilligent with my eating and treat once a week (wine) . I'm feeling so down.

Replies

• Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    On the face of it, everything appears to be going in the right direction. You seem to be under your calories in your diary regularly, and are losing. You don't mention much about exercise. So, the question has to be, what are you feeling down about? The speed of your loss? The tub of extra chocolate ice cream in the bottom of the freezer saying 'eat me' or something else?
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    Are you open to changing up your diet for possible success. I work with a trainer that trains girls for bikini and fitness competitions. She put me on the right track for diet success along with exercise, it's not easy but it had worked wonders....30 lbs in 10 weeks!
  • Msjacque46
    Options
    @MonicaT1972 Would you be willing to share how you changed your diet. For me, I have lost a few tenths of a pound only to gain it back. I always seem to have calories left over as through exercise burn so many. I try not to go over the 1200 I have set up as my daily goal and achieve it most of the time. My progress has been very slow as in many instances I lose nothing.
  • Thepinkdaisy
    Options
    I've been at this for 3 months (doing body revolution for 2 months) yes, i have lost 10 pounds and i'm happy with that .. but i am starting to get discouraged. I'm not planning on stoping because i want to be a healthy active person, it's just so depressing.
    I just measures this morning and the only place i've lost is the small part of my waist .. 1.5 inch . My pants feel looser a little on some days .. other days like today .. i feel no different.
    I try and be very dilligent with my eating and treat once a week (wine) . I'm feeling so down.

It takes time. Efforts will add up to results. Remember when you measure to be sure to do so the same day of your cycle each month and the same time of day for the most accurate results. Women retain water on various days throughout her cycle (not just on PMS days) due to hormones. Such as we bloat when we ovulate, etc so you could be measuring on a water-heavy day one month and then a lighter day on another. Also pay attention to what you're eating before measurements. Fastfood and processed foods have a lot of sodium. For example you read the label on a lean cuisine or any processed food the sodium will shock you. That's why eating REAL food is always better. We can hold up to 25 lbs of excess water weight from excess sodium, hormones, carbs (carbs hold water), etc. When we eat cleaner, we seem to miraculously lose weight quickly. People complain, "ohhh it's just water weight and you'll gain it back". Maybe, you'll gain some, but if you continue to eat clean, you may not have the sodium/water mess you may have now.
  • tleeiiiii
    tleeiiiii Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am willing to change my diet , it's just that extreems are not very attractive to me. I don't want to cut things out of my diey completly because there is no way i will be able to eat like that forever. I want something that i can sustain long after the pounds are gone.

I work out 30 minutes every day with jillian micheals body revolution. I also do a few days on the stationary bike. I don't half *kitten* it at all.
    I eat back my calories because last year i was biking 1 hour a day 5 days a week on 1200 and wasn't losing so i am assuming i need to eat more. I try to net 1200 so eat about 1450. I find it hard to add more of healthy foods.
    I'm discouraged by the lack of progress, i still have 25lbs (minimum, more like 30) to lose. I'm like when will my pants ever be too big?
    I made my boyfriend hide the scale as to not focus on that.. and since then i've been feeling worse because i'm seeing how my clothes fit and it's like nothing has changed. Everyone around me is like oh your gaining muscle but i know you can't gain muscle like that.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Be patient and focus on your health. The fitness will follow.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    You're doing a great job. Maybe you need to reward yourself for little things like doing your exercise and sticking to your calorie goals. Getting to the goal can take a long time. Rewards for doing the things that get you there can provide some immediate gratification.
  • tleeiiiii
    tleeiiiii Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I know it's probably the sodium right now because i went to dinner last night and had tim hortons for lunch, it's just hard when one little thing can mess you up. I did stop eating the lean cuisines and started making my own (full of veggies brown rice and chicken) but i was taking one that was only 330mg of sodium. I try to watch my sodium because i know what it does. I've been cutti g my fruit to 1 (or 2) a day to try and cut down on the sugar and carbs, trying to eat more protien so i can decrease the carbs a little.
    I just gotta keep on going
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for you ladies, but 1200 calories or less messed me up big time. I dropped some water weight and then all progress stopped. The scale went up and down by a pound every so often, but for weeks it was just this plateau. I was doing all the right things and NO progress. So, based on some tips here on MFP, I bumped up to 1400 calories.

I was so afraid to gain, but then....progress! After a few more weeks, I realized although it was progress, it was super slow. .4 lbs this week, .2 the next. So I bumped to about 1600. Now, I'm losing about 2-3 lbs. per week depending on my activity levels and whether or not I eat back half my exercise cals.

I guess my point is, if you are struggling for a long time with what you are doing, then maybe shift gears? I see a lot of skinny girls prancing around here eating MORE calories than me....a 5'3" chick with over 100 lbs. to lose. I learned that in order to know what your body wants/needs, you gotta play with the numbers.

Sticking to the same routine and not seeing results is devastating to a person's motivation. I'd rather risk the possibility of gaining a little if it means I will find my boundaries. MFP put me at 1200 calories, and it just wasn't working. I had to find that middle ground where my body burned the most fat.
  • cindybpitts
    cindybpitts Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Are you open to changing up your diet for possible success. I work with a trainer that trains girls for bikini and fitness competitions. She put me on the right track for diet success along with exercise, it's not easy but it had worked wonders....30 lbs in 10 weeks!
    I would love to know!! Please send me a message on what to do or post it here..thanks
  • RenCara
    RenCara Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I would love to know!! Please send me a message on what to do or post it here..thanks

Me too, please:flowerforyou:
  • MelissaVoci
    MelissaVoci Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I was feeling the same way, I lost 30 pounds, then nothing. Couldn't lose another pound to save my life, hovering between 199 and 205 for MONTHS. I found out last week that my thyroid is slow, and I am lactose and gluten intolerant. I was completely fatigued. Without exercising this week (I start again tomorrow now that I am not so tired), I am down 8 pounds. All I did was cut the dairy and the gluten. I was happy to find out I can still eat rice, p[otatoes, and sweet potatoes. There have been some cravings, but for the most part, I just feel BETTER. Hope it helps :)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    It looks like you do the same workouts most of the time. Maybe you need to change it up and add some strength training. Do some elliptical or treadmill, add incline or speed, whatever. If you are in a plateau, it means your body has gotten used to the normal routine and you need to mix it up.
  • phathat
    phathat Posts: 1
    Options
    Are you working out the whole time? If you lost 10#s in 3 months, focus on the fact that you'll be down 40# in 12 months and that could be too much! :) It's a lifestyle change. I'm a beer man, I've lost 20# of body fat in 6 months and I need to work out to "afford" the beer.
  • cindybpitts
    cindybpitts Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for you ladies, but 1200 calories or less messed me up big time. I dropped some water weight and then all progress stopped. The scale went up and down by a pound every so often, but for weeks it was just this plateau. I was doing all the right things and NO progress. So, based on some tips here on MFP, I bumped up to 1400 calories.

I was so afraid to gain, but then....progress! After a few more weeks, I realized although it was progress, it was super slow. .4 lbs this week, .2 the next. So I bumped to about 1600. Now, I'm losing about 2-3 lbs. per week depending on my activity levels and whether or not I eat back half my exercise cals.

I guess my point is, if you are struggling for a long time with what you are doing, then maybe shift gears? I see a lot of skinny girls prancing around here eating MORE calories than me....a 5'3" chick with over 100 lbs. to lose. I learned that in order to know what your body wants/needs, you gotta play with the numbers.

Sticking to the same routine and not seeing results is devastating to a person's motivation. I'd rather risk the possibility of gaining a little if it means I will find my boundaries. MFP put me at 1200 calories, and it just wasn't working. I had to find that middle ground where my body burned the most fat.
    Just what you have said motivates me..I started at 1200 and NOTHING...then tried 1300 and lost 3lbs..been stuck for a couple of weeks so now Im at 1500/1600 so I hope its not going to make me gain.
  • MonicaT1972
    Options
    @MonicaT1972 Would you be willing to share how you changed your diet. For me, I have lost a few tenths of a pound only to gain it back. I always seem to have calories left over as through exercise burn so many. I try not to go over the 1200 I have set up as my daily goal and achieve it most of the time. My progress has been very slow as in many instances I lose nothing.

My trainer has me on a very strict diet, it's not for everyone but it gets me results that I can live with and I am prepared to do it for a lifetime. I eat clean, no processed foods (with the exception of my International Delight in my coffee in the morning) no sugar, no wheat, and no red meat. She has me consuming 135g of protein, 30 of fat and 75 of carbs. The calories are roughly in the 1200 range daily but it's the macros that she has me focus on. My carbs are from fruit and veggies and whole grains. I eat every 3 hours having 5 meals a day. I don't ever feel hungry this way. I still have monthly cravings like every other woman though, it doesn't cure that unfortunately.
  • MonicaT1972
    Options
    I am willing to change my diet , it's just that extreems are not very attractive to me. I don't want to cut things out of my diey completly because there is no way i will be able to eat like that forever. I want something that i can sustain long after the pounds are gone.

I work out 30 minutes every day with jillian micheals body revolution. I also do a few days on the stationary bike. I don't half *kitten* it at all.
    I eat back my calories because last year i was biking 1 hour a day 5 days a week on 1200 and wasn't losing so i am assuming i need to eat more. I try to net 1200 so eat about 1450. I find it hard to add more of healthy foods.
    I'm discouraged by the lack of progress, i still have 25lbs (minimum, more like 30) to lose. I'm like when will my pants ever be too big?
    I made my boyfriend hide the scale as to not focus on that.. and since then i've been feeling worse because i'm seeing how my clothes fit and it's like nothing has changed. Everyone around me is like oh your gaining muscle but i know you can't gain muscle like that.

If you are willing to experiment to see how your body responds you can try what I posted to another in your thread. If it is something you can try for 2 weeks and see what happens then go from there. You may like the results. You can slowly re-introduce certain foods you love and see how your body handles them. I know it's not easy, but if it's something you are willing to try it might work and get you starting again on getting the results you desire :)
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    IMO calories are a little wonky.
    I'd suggest setting MFP to a static number and just stick to it daily.
    So if tdee is 2k you'll eat 1600/day with or without exercise.
    PM me if you are interested and ill set it up for you.

Also, how many rest days are you taking per week while cutting calories?
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I was feeling the same way, I lost 30 pounds, then nothing. Couldn't lose another pound to save my life, hovering between 199 and 205 for MONTHS. I found out last week that my thyroid is slow, and I am lactose and gluten intolerant. I was completely fatigued. Without exercising this week (I start again tomorrow now that I am not so tired), I am down 8 pounds. All I did was cut the dairy and the gluten. I was happy to find out I can still eat rice, p[otatoes, and sweet potatoes. There have been some cravings, but for the most part, I just feel BETTER. Hope it helps :)

True...Thyroid issues are the other monkey wrench in a lot of people's progress. Doc found out mine is hypoactive about 6 months back. Put me on Synthroid and my hair started falling out. Freakin scary!! Stopped taking the meds. It makes it harder for me, but I'm 30 lbs down, and I will fight my way down to my goal weight at .2 lbs. for the next 10 years if I have to.
  • MonicaT1972
    Options
    If anyone wants, feel free to add me or message me privately and I will share my food lists and the plan I have used. Again it's not for everyone, but I don't mind sharing :)