Metabolism jumpstart diets?

Options
2»

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    1. Eat back up to maintenance level of calories and sustain so your metabolism can recover.
    2. Increase lean body mass.

No diet or cleanse is going to recover or increase your Resting Metabolic Rate.

^I agree with this!

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html

Thirding this because sometimes the good info gets lost in the fluff and the bickering.

and
    You can't jumpstart your metabolism. Natural and slow changes will improve it on its own. Try a different calorie count or a new exercise program.

because good information gets lost FAR too often.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Try the 17 Day Diet!!! It completely restarts/resets your metabolism and- without question- WORKS. (IF you stick to it) You lose a good 15 lbs in the first two weeks and it does not stop there.. My sister and I did it over a year ago and I would recommend it to anyone that is honestly willing to commit to change. It is really less of a "diet" and more of a lifestyle change. It basically cuts out all sugar and hard carbs and slowly adds them back in small quantity so that your body can process them efficiently- you find, however, that you crave them less and less as the time goes on... (ummm.. yay)
    It includes three phases of 17 days (the time it takes to alter the way you physically and mentally process food), each one offering a bit more freedom than the last. Phase one is all low carb fruits, veggies, and lean meats with lots of green tea and lemon water. Its not easy...but you will feel light and rejuvenated like never before. Phase two allows more fruits and veggies and allows for some more fatty foods like lentils or nuts every other day. Phase three allows you to eat what you want on the weekends (in moderation) and continue phase two during the week.

There are "haters" online that tell you that it is just another fad diet but don't read into that- people say that about everything and they have not done their research. The fact is that this is actually a scientifically proven way to cleanse and reestablish the way your body metabolizes food. Read up on the accredited studies about it and then buy the BOOK because you'll be convinced!

NOTE: This is difficult. You will crave chocolate, bread, alcohol, and sugar like never before in the first phase. Notice how few people have actually been able to significantly change their metabolism... its because you need to make a serious lifestyle change in order to do it. No cheating. No questions asked. But hey, its a small price to pay for the many pounds that will melt off by the time summer arrives;) Not to mention increased energy and mood!

When I did it, I started a group on here to do it with me-if you can get a friend to do it, too- do it. Support from others is a must :)

HOPE THIS HELPS! GOOD LUCK!

Please, for the love of God - or to whomever you pray (or don't) - ignore everything in the quoted post.

Agreed. No offense to that person, glad it worked for them, but that is not a healthy or sound way to make a correct lifestyle change. You should never have to completely omit something from your diet, even if it is only for 17 days.

I can understand if you didn't want to follow such a restrictive diet, but what do you think makes it "not healthy or sound"?

In my opinion, completely depriving your body of something is just asking for your body to crave it in a more extreme way than necessary when it only needs a certain amount. Yes there are some things, such as trans fat and synthetic materials called "food" that should not be a part of your diet, but the person who suggested that "solution" mentions that it restricts your fruits, vegetables, and lean meats in the first phase. That is a major red flag. To me, those are definitely not things you should restrict from your body. Everything should be eaten, and eaten in correct moderation.

EDIT: Also the person says that the cravings are terrible. Cravings are the body's way of tell you that you need something, some nutrient, macro, etc. So if you are getting cravings, obviously something is not working for your body.

I don't believe cravings are always something your body needs. Sometimes they are something your mind wants. Many cravings are more psychological than physiological.

And I think you misread the post. It says "Phase one is all low carb fruits, veggies, and lean meats with lots of green tea and lemon water" As in, it restricts your diet to these things, not that it restricts them from your diet.
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options

I can understand if you didn't want to follow such a restrictive diet, but what do you think makes it "not healthy or sound"?

In my opinion, completely depriving your body of something is just asking for your body to crave it in a more extreme way than necessary when it only needs a certain amount. Yes there are some things, such as trans fat and synthetic materials called "food" that should not be a part of your diet, but the person who suggested that "solution" mentions that it restricts your fruits, vegetables, and lean meats in the first phase. That is a major red flag. To me, those are definitely not things you should restrict from your body. Everything should be eaten, and eaten in correct moderation.

EDIT: Also the person says that the cravings are terrible. Cravings are the body's way of tell you that you need something, some nutrient, macro, etc. So if you are getting cravings, obviously something is not working for your body.

I don't believe cravings are always something your body needs. Sometimes they are something your mind wants. Many cravings are more psychological than physiological.

And I think you misread the post. It says "Phase one is all low carb fruits, veggies, and lean meats with lots of green tea and lemon water" As in, it restricts your diet to these things, not that it restricts them from your diet.

I agree that cravings can also be hormonal and psychological as well. It can be a mix of many things.

I may have misread the lean meats part, but

She says that "Phase two allows more fruits and veggies and allows for some more fatty foods like lentils or nuts every other day"

Those are all things that shouldn't have to be restricted for weight loss. Those are all healthy sources of nutrients and fats for the body. Like I said everything in moderation.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I agree that cravings can also be hormonal and psychological as well. It can be a mix of many things.

She says that "Phase two allows more fruits and veggies and allows for some more fatty foods like lentils or nuts every other day"

Those are all things that shouldn't have to be restricted for weight loss. Those are all healthy sources of nutrients and fats for the body. Like I said everything in moderation.

But just because something isn't necessary doesn't make doing it "not healthy or sound". Which was my point.
  • chels0722
    Options

But just because something isn't necessary doesn't make doing it "not healthy or sound". Which was my point.

I also said "in my opinion". I do not restrict myself to anything or from anything. For me, that is unhealthy. That is how I have chosen to live. I was simply expressing my disagreement with such a method considered a "lifestyle change" as she put it.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Congrats on a successful weightloss journey so far! You may be at the point in your weight loss journey where you actually need to start eating more :) The closer your body gets to its ideal weight the closer you should eat to maintenence.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

^^^ This can help you out if you haven't read it already

PS

Stay away from temporary cleanses, diets and the like. They are indeed temporary. Do things the way you want to do them for the rest of your life!

Best of luck to you both!

EDIT: I also agree that increasing the intensity of your workouts will help with the metabolism boost. The more LBM you have the higher your metabolism will maintain. If you haven't already, start incorperating weights and resistance into your workouts. That is only my suggestion based on my own opinion though. Whatever you are comfortable with is what is best for you.

I'm in the midst of trying the stuff mentioned in the link within the quote. I was at 1360 calories and per the calculations in the link, I jumped up to 1600. I started two weeks ago, and in two weeks I have lost 2 pounds. Mind you, my weight loss has been STUCK for a year, so I'm skeptical, afraid it's just a fluke, but if I lose again next week I'm going to find that OP and kiss him - seriously, I get to eat MORE and lose MORE weight? Whoddathunkit?

Yay! I wasn't sure about it either but it's awesome, right?! Been at it since mid-Jan and down over 10 lbs.
  • chels0722
    Options
    Congrats on a successful weightloss journey so far! You may be at the point in your weight loss journey where you actually need to start eating more :) The closer your body gets to its ideal weight the closer you should eat to maintenence.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

^^^ This can help you out if you haven't read it already

PS

Stay away from temporary cleanses, diets and the like. They are indeed temporary. Do things the way you want to do them for the rest of your life!

Best of luck to you both!

EDIT: I also agree that increasing the intensity of your workouts will help with the metabolism boost. The more LBM you have the higher your metabolism will maintain. If you haven't already, start incorperating weights and resistance into your workouts. That is only my suggestion based on my own opinion though. Whatever you are comfortable with is what is best for you.

I'm in the midst of trying the stuff mentioned in the link within the quote. I was at 1360 calories and per the calculations in the link, I jumped up to 1600. I started two weeks ago, and in two weeks I have lost 2 pounds. Mind you, my weight loss has been STUCK for a year, so I'm skeptical, afraid it's just a fluke, but if I lose again next week I'm going to find that OP and kiss him - seriously, I get to eat MORE and lose MORE weight? Whoddathunkit?

Yay! I wasn't sure about it either but it's awesome, right?! Been at it since mid-Jan and down over 10 lbs.

Copngrats to you as well! I am so glad to see it is working for other people also!
  • odeller
    odeller Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The Zone Diet for Thyroid Patients and Losing Weight With Hypothyroidism

I have the same problem with my thyroid and this book is a must read.
    But it sounds like you are on the right path already.
    Here's to healthy living.
  • matthewcorb
    Options
    I think it's metabolism jumpstarts weight loss. When your metabolism speeds up, you burn foods faster and therefore you are most likely to lose weight and not store fat.

Diet is mostly eating better.