Help needed with weight exercise routine!

Options
I am currently doing cardio, but I really want to add weights to my routine. I do not know much about weights and there are so many different types of weight exercises that can be done, it is confusing. I want to know:

Which muscle groups should be worked on the same day?
How many different exercises for each muscle group you should do?
Which exercises are the best for each muscle group?

Any addition information that would help me will be much appreciated! :smile:

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Check out bodybuilding.com or muscleandstrength.com for programs. Google Starting Strength or get the book New Rules of Lifting and go from there.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    When I first started strength training, I did full body workouts 2-3 times a week. You can use the resources that Jen provided above, and also consider hiring a personal trainer for a 6-8 session package. By then, you should have a good idea of what to do, if you want to work on your own.

Suggestion. Before you start, take some measurements and/or pictures. Then file them away. In 6-8 weeks of strength training, take comparison measurements and pictures.

I think this beginner workout program might be a good start.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/12-week-beginners-training-routine.html
  • bgale718
    bgale718 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I would love to hire a personal trainer, but I cannot afford it unfortunately.
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Hi.. I want to inform you about the book called The New Rules of Lifting for Women. I just started this regime, and absolutely love it!
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Try a full body routine. That is a good way to start. Do something for your legs, shoulders, back, arms and chest. You will learn a lot of good stuff if you start like this.