give it up!?!?

Options
Soooooo....

I have heard time and time again people giving up certain foods, even foods that are horrible for us in moderation. Usually things like meat or just red meat, dairy coffee ect. Either for good or for a period of time. My question is what have you given up why and how has it effected you? Especially coffee I'm a coffee junky and I am wondering if any of you were a coffee junky too and gave it up and what effects u have seen or felt??

Replies

• CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Once or twice a year I give up alcohol for a few weeks, usually after the holidays when I'm sick of all the partying!

I usually drink wine daily. The break helps me be to more conscious of my intake, but other than that I don't notice much of a difference.

I wouldn't swear off anything permanently, unless it was having a major noticeable negative effect on my life or health. Everything in moderation!
  • MsLilly200
    MsLilly200 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I guess you could say I've given up potatoes... But that's just cause my mom does low carb now and never makes them. And peeling and cooking potatoes myself is annoying and too much work.
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I have not given anything up successfully lol.
    I should give up avocados. They're my weakness and I can eat like 5 in one sitting... maybe I should give up chinese food too.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I have not given anything up successfully lol.
    I should give up avocados. They're my weakness and I can eat like 5 in one sitting... maybe I should give up chinese food too.

Nooooooo! Avocados are awesome for you. They promote brain health!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I've given up soda, fries and fast food burgers. I'd add chicken nuggets to that list but I had one last week. I might have a couple fries at some point, but fast food burgers I'm really not planning to eat again (except the grilled chicken no mayo kind but even then, the chicken is nasty). Same with soda... not missing it at all.
  • alychil820
    alychil820 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I gave up diet soda, and I'm really glad I did! I went to have a glass the other day because I was craving it, but when I took a sip it tasted so BAD. Two weeks without it, and my tastebuds got used to not being swarmed with chemicals and fake sugar.
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I had food intolerance testing as I suffered from really bad IBS it said I was intolerant to dairy, gluten and eggs, I gave them all up for 8 months and felt great I reintroduced them and for a while felt ok but now the IBS had crept back but it is so difficult to cut all these things out of your diet you can't eat out at all and it is expensive. I am considering cutting out gluten again though. I did once cut our sugar and caffeine I felt terrible for a whole week but then felt so much better lots of energy no headaches etc.
  • allie_rat
    allie_rat Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I used to average about 10 cups of coffee a day...I don't even drink that in a week now. I sleep better and wake up feeling fresher rather than feeling like I need caffeine to kick start me.
    I gave up meat, but that wasn't to gain any diet effects. It was more not being able to afford ethically produced meat, not enjoying most of it and preferring vegetables anyway. I'm not sure what effects that has had, as any effects could easily be an increase in other types of food rather than a lack of meat.
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I've given up nothing.
    And I don't intend to.
    :drinker:
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I've had to give up coffee due to insomnia, heart palpitations, anxiety and panic attacks. Now all those symptoms are gone but I still miss my coffee and its been years.
    I've also given up fried foods, soda and diet soda. I don't miss them at all.
    I will never give up chocolate even if I do overdo it at times.
  • xdoublerainbow
    xdoublerainbow Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm a coffee addict. I used to have at LEAST four-five cups of coffee a day but I've cut it back a lot. In the beginning I would get headaches, shakes and I would turn into a really mean cow if I didn't get my coffee fix on time. Now it's not as bad but I don't think I could ever 100% give it up. IT'S TOO GOOD. Plus, no one wants to see me turn into a raging ***** again ;) haha
  • courtneynicole619
    courtneynicole619 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am giving up things slowly lol. I tired to give up caffeine and I felt tired a lot.
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    ice cream, it's crack to me.

if i really want something i grab a cone from McD's which I can easily fit into a day, but it's not at home in the freezer beckoning me.
  • acraw558
    acraw558 Posts: 23
    Options
    i don't think i've ever completely given something up, but i'll eat in moderation. one item for me is bread. i could sit and eat like half a loaf of bread! i watch my intake now. i try not to eat sandwiches, or if i want one i'll eat it on leaves of lettuce, or only one piece of bread instead of two. it takes concentration to eat it in moderation, but i think it's worth it. when i eat 2 pieces of bread on my sandwich, i either don't lose weight or gain weight that day. it's weird how our bodies react to different foods!
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    If you like coffee don't give it up its ok in moderation! I couldn't give it up lol
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I had to stop with gluten and mostly with sugar too, as I have a couple of health issues. I have gluten once in a great while, same goes for sugar...but I do suffer when I indulge.

I haven't given up nuts, but I can't have almonds or macadamias around the house because I will nibble on them nonstop.
  • wllwsmmr
    wllwsmmr Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I've given up soda since long ago because to me it is not worth drinking that many calories! This is not to say that i will NEVER drink it, but I hardly crave it so yeah!
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Options
    Nothing. I just eat less of the bad stuff.

Best diet i've ever been on ;) Think ill stick with this one.
  • MommaChocoLatte
    MommaChocoLatte Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I havent given up anything per se.. there are certain items I just don't eat/drink as much either because they affect my body negatively or because I just don't want it.

For example, I don't eat burgers I can't make myself because the fat content is too much for my body to handle. And I havent been drinking diet soda or coffee as much... the soda I am just trying to cut back on, the coffee I am the only one in the house who drinks it and it goes to waste. Im not one to deprive myself.. it only makes me want that item more.
  • Corjogo
    Corjogo Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    FAST FOOD!!!! I can't lose or maintain eating fast food. I still do restaurants no more than once a month. I splurged on a hamburger twice in 2 years...and pizza about 5 times. Other than that I cook and really don't miss the FF unless right after I have it. Once I'm back on track - everything flows well and no cravings. Peanut butter can be an issue, I use PB2 or other powdered peanut butter for less calories, sometimes I need the real thing.