Choosing to do that Lap-Ban...any concerns?

Options
Well today I went for my consultation to get the Lap-Ban surgery. Iv know several people that have had it done...with good and bad experiences. And with taking time and researching so much, I have decided to do it. Anyone else out have it done...any suggestions...help, reconmendations, any info greatly appreciated.

I weigh currently 234 lbs and my goal is 150lbs....So wish me luck!!
Laura:smile:

Replies

• missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Even thou I was 80+ pounds over weight I didnt 'qualify' for the surgery.. good for you for making the decision towards a healthier you. There are some great bypass/lap band groups here you could join to meet friends that have had success, issues, questions, and support.. search under groups and type in lap band... best wishes to you on your surgery
  • Iamworthinvestingin
    Iamworthinvestingin Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I do not want to discourage you, but everytime you have surgery, you take a risk... and if you do not take care of the issues that caused you to get heavy in the first place, this can add complications and still add weight - Seriously consider other means, I am sure you ahve tried all sorts of things, but have you tried getting a personal trainer to help you exercise and eat right? I know that it seems like a quick fix, and it can work, but in the end there are no such things as an easy solution.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I do not want to discourage you, but everytime you have surgery, you take a risk... and if you do not take care of the issues that caused you to get heavy in the first place, this can add complications and still add weight - Seriously consider other means, I am sure you ahve tried all sorts of things, but have you tried getting a personal trainer to help you exercise and eat right? I know that it seems like a quick fix, and it can work, but in the end there are no such things as an easy solution.

I totally agree. I have a friend that has bypass surgery(multiple reasons why this over non surgery ways) and she said while in the hospital "DO WHAT EVER YOU HAVE TO DO TO AVOID THIS TYPE OF SURGERY". This type of surgery should be an ABSOLUTE last straw/I will die if I don't have it type of situation. Your weight is by no means a reason to have surgery if you are otherwise healthy. I have another friend who is WAY larger then you and she is down almost 100lbs by counting her calories and exercising. These type of surgeries are an absolute life changing situation. It doesn't matter if you do a surgery or not, if you don't learn how to control what you put into your body you aren't going to have success. In my opinion if there are not any type of horrible debilitating health issues these surgeries are for lazy people that aren't willing to make healthy, long term sustainable changes to their diets and lifestyle. I wish you luck on your future.
  • Iamworthinvestingin
    Iamworthinvestingin Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You know what is interesting, one of my co-workers went through this, and in order for her to have the surgery - she had to lose a certain amount of weight... which stunned me, if she could lose that amount of weight, why didn't they just support her to keep doing it naturally? She ended up in the hospital a few times, and another friend of mine, who it was a medical emergency, finds it very difficult to eat the very limited amount of food she can take in - one alcoholic drink - a few sips almost landed her in the hospital... you are here - you now have a support community - I encourage you to lean on mfp - and take steps to invest in yourself- you are worth saving!!
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    DON'T DO IT!!!! Be patient, change your eating and exercise habits, and be patient, and you can change for life. The lap band is a crutch.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Why are you going to that?
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would do it for that little weight loss. I weighed 214 lbs.. and I'm now 176. Still counting calories and working hard. No pills or anything. My goal is 135. About 84 lbs. I have no reason to even think about getting surgery.. I wouldn't put my body through that.. even if my weight was 234.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree with the above posters. There are so many horror stories about how these operations adversely affect your health for the rest of your life. Please do some solid research before you do anything final. I was 290lbs a year ago and am now 206. With commitment, I will be at my goal weight, 150, this fall. (losing 1-2lbs a week). There are so many success stories here and there's no magic secret pill, diet or operation that they have all found. Find an exercise you enjoy and do it. Find a moderate eating plan you can sustain and be consistent. That's all there is to it. Good luck on your journey.
  • amberleighxoxo1
    Options
    My goals are about the same as yours, I was 230lbs, now 224lbs and my goal is 150, then maybe 135 but we'll see how I feel at 150lbs. If you decide not to go the surgery route or even if you do feel free to friend me! I always find it easier to do anything with similar people around me! I really hope you loose the weight you want and succeed in keeping it off. Feel free to message me anytime!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I know 2 people who have had it done. One came close to dying cause he got that sick once it was put on, then he still at the same crap he ate before. The other still eats the same crap he always ate just now he manages to throw up after eating.

Both have lost about half the weight I have lost (79lbs) and it took them about 2 years to do so even with the band. They both look shocking, have no idea how to eat better & think that the band was a life saver.

For you to do it with only just a little more than I lost is pointless. I lost mine in 7 months through hard work....not cheating. You are taking the easy way out sorry.
  • mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Why the Lap Band?? I had RNY my mother and sister both had lap-band and both had to have it removed. I'm not trying to discourage you. I was just curious why you chose it.

One thing I noticed between the two operation results, is that mine has taught me to eat correctly. It is just a tool not a magic pill. But neither my sister nor my mother learned to eat correctly. It just restricted how much and the vomited a lot. I have never vomited in 10 months. I also have learned to eat for health. I watch not only calorie intake but also nutrient intake. I will look at my count through out the day or I will pre log my food and pack it to go with me daily. This gives me an opportunity to pay attention to the nutrition I am getting in my body. I will make a better choice if I see I am low or lacking for the day. My mother especially vomited regularly. She lived off of crackers and pretzels and had horrible acid reflux. I have had none of these things. She became very malnourished and dropped down to 95 lbs. We forced her to remove it because she became so week. It had slipped due to all of her vomiting and she could not eat. She had it removed and still eats crackers and pretzels and has gained back 45 lbs in 3 months. That being said she need to gain some weight but she did not learn how to eat so it came on quickly. My body does not allow me to eat junk!! I feel gross. I have learned to eat properly. It has been the best personal decision of my life.

Do your research and good luck no matter what you choose to do. Feel free to add me.

BTW these are just my experiences. There are many people out there who have seen huge success.
  • mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    Options

I totally agree. I have a friend that has bypass surgery(multiple reasons why this over non surgery ways) and she said while in the hospital "DO WHAT EVER YOU HAVE TO DO TO AVOID THIS TYPE OF SURGERY". This type of surgery should be an ABSOLUTE last straw/I will die if I don't have it type of situation. Your weight is by no means a reason to have surgery if you are otherwise healthy. I have another friend who is WAY larger then you and she is down almost 100lbs by counting her calories and exercising. These type of surgeries are an absolute life changing situation. It doesn't matter if you do a surgery or not, if you don't learn how to control what you put into your body you aren't going to have success. In my opinion if there are not any type of horrible debilitating health issues these surgeries are for lazy people that aren't willing to make healthy, long term sustainable changes to their diets and lifestyle. I wish you luck on your future.

It is sad that you feel that surgeries are for lazy people. My surgery is a tool. Not a fix. I HAVE to eat correctly, and I have learned how to eat for nutrition something I was not capable of doing previous to surgery. I could get into the understanding of Ghrelin hormone and how it works differently in every body, but I am not going to. I also exercise 3-4 days a week. I have learned that food is not a crutch in life, and I am not lazy nor was I before the surgery. I still have to put in the work. This will still be a lifetime struggle as My genetics have helped to predetermine it. This surgery is a tool. It an extra tool to help train our bodies.
  • ShutterBugMomof2
    Options
    I guess I am just curious as to why you would want your body cut open if it is not necessary. You really do not have a lot of weight to lose and you can totally do it on your own with help from this tool that is free! It will take some hard work and it won't be easy but nothing in life ever is that is worth it. My personal opinion would be, give MFP a try, don't half *kitten* it, actually try at it and do it for a year. If you feel that you have done everything, sweating your butt off and keeping track of your food then sure, go get a reconsult. There are way too many concerns for this surgery to have it done over 80 pounds...
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would do it for that little weight loss. I weighed 214 lbs.. and I'm now 176. Still counting calories and working hard. No pills or anything. My goal is 135. About 84 lbs. I have no reason to even think about getting surgery.. I wouldn't put my body through that.. even if my weight was 234.

Listen to this lady.
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Good for you for joining My Fitness Pal! I'd like to encourage you to go the surgery-free route because there are no long term studies on this. I have a total of 174 pounds to lose and it is a source of pride that I'm going to do it without surgery. If you friend me, we can do this together. There are also medically supervised programs like HMR, http://www.hmrprogram.com, which can help lose weight the healthy way.
  • elis_mama
    elis_mama Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    It's absolutely your choice, but I have a friend that had it done about 6 years ago. She is now 2 pounds less than she was "pre-surgery" weight 6 years ago. She lost about 80 pounds and regained all but 2 pounds of it. She is now going in to get her band fixed/replaced and will have to start completely over. To me, counting calories and exercise is a much better tool than a band. She has had numerous problems. Chafing her inside on her stomach, band slippage, vomiting, etc. I just think that for approximately 85 pounds, you can work hard at it and not have the surgery. Too many risks.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    I suggest a calorie deficit, lifting weights, and a little cardio on the days you don't lift.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

It is sad that you feel that surgeries are for lazy people. My surgery is a tool. Not a fix. I HAVE to eat correctly, and I have learned how to eat for nutrition something I was not capable of doing previous to surgery. I could get into the understanding of Ghrelin hormone and how it works differently in every body, but I am not going to. I also exercise 3-4 days a week. I have learned that food is not a crutch in life, and I am not lazy nor was I before the surgery. I still have to put in the work. This will still be a lifetime struggle as My genetics have helped to predetermine it. This surgery is a tool. It an extra tool to help train our bodies.

^^^This^^^ I had rny gastric bypass surgery and it saved my life. I was only 246 pounds, but as a Type I Diabetic with multiple other health issues, a small intestine with nerve damage, and kidney damage, it was my save. I had tried every diet known to man, including no food and i.v. nutrition. Because of other issues, there was zero weight loss and continued to gain. My endocrinologist referred me for the surgery and I have lost 86 pounds since they rerouted away from that dead small intestine and did a hernia repair also. I am not a lazy person and resent being called so. Just because one person can lose weight normally, does not mean that everyone else can. We are each individual. As far as lap band or any other weight loss procedure, do your homework, prepare your mind and body prior to surgery. Stick with the plan and work out any issues you have before going into it. Make sure you have a good surgical team and dietitian and follow up with them as instructed and you will do fine. I would not change what I did for anything.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Concerned that even with all the research you said you have done you dont know that its lap band surgery not lap ban that you have written inyour post and in your profile.

My neighbour died from weight loss surgery and left her young son to be raised by his grandparents.

Ps i started at 240lb my goal is around 150 or 160, i'll know when i get there but i wouldnt have dreamt of having surgery to lose so little.
  • Amy11108
    Amy11108 Posts: 74
    Options
    My husband had weight loss surgery and had no complications and lost 100 lbs. However it was very, very hard. Harder than traditional weight loss. Very restricted diet and mentally draining.