Weight gain, advice please?

Options
Hi all,

I know this topic has been discussed before but can people just help me understand this in relation to ME?

I've lost 25kg (approx 50lbs) since I had my youngest 5 years ago. I have increased fitness from zero, to working out 6 days a week, half marathons etc. I became a little underweight and have started NROLFW to try and gain a little mass and maintain fitness while reducing cardio. My previous workouts were primarily cardio, with some bodyweight resistance training. I was eating probably a little under maintenance and not much protein.

So, I am 8 weeks into the programme. I have adjusted my macros to 40:30:30 and stay close to this most of the time (diary open). I'm eating at what I consider maintenance. My workouts consist of the programme plus 2 cardio sessions per week. Yet I have gained 6lbs since the start of this programme! Now, I don't mind gaining a little. But, this is quite a gain for a small amount of time and to me, the numbers don't add up. What's going on here? Can anyone give me any tips/ reassurance/ help? This is exactly why I'd put off trying to eat a little more in the first place. :-(

Replies

• jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    anyone?
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Just curious.... have your measurements changed? Its possible to gain 6 lbs of muscle and go down a dress size or two. Has your bodyfat percentage changed? If your weight is composed of more muscle and less fat, you can weigh more yet be leaner and fitter. Since you are at maintenance and working on body composition rather than weight loss, you probably want to toss out your scale. :flowerforyou:
  • flynnfinn
    flynnfinn Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i am in the middle of reading the book right now, haven't started yet but planning to april 1st.

in the book, the author says it is normal to see weght gain at the start of the program. i believe there is also a group here on MFP for NROLFW followers. might want to peek your head in there and see what they're saying.
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Thanks - I haven't read that part in the book - well, probably did and promptly forgot!

I haven't redone my measurements or body fat % yet.... am waiting until the end of the month (and trying to avoid the scales in the meantime!!)