Pregnancy "Pooch"

Options
Hey mamas-- I have a question for those of you with 2+ babies. I have a son who is four, I have been up and down in weight since having him, but I've never gotten rid of that pooch/loose skin on my belly. If it weren't for that, I'd likely have a flat tummy. My question is, we're currently trying to have baby # 2, assuming that happens, does the pooch get even bigger after delivery? Is it really hard to get rid of with the more kids you have? I know this sounds vain, but only someone who has experienced this and become self conscious would understand =/

Replies

• Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Anyone?? =/
  • AprilBurns86
    Options
    Unfortunately, I did get a bigger pooch after #2 than after #1. It will eventually go away...but it can take a while. The things that helped me the most were breastfeeding (the baby weight goes away FAST while nursing), making sure the skin stays moisturized with a good stretch mark cream, and doing muscle-building exercises for the lower abs. Just give yourself time, it will eventually flatten out if you work on it!
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Yes I got the pooch but with healthy eating and right exercise u can get rid of most of that
  • tmtolbert
    tmtolbert Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    i'm not a mom of 2 but i am currently 8 months pregnant. i have been wondering about the pooch too and have been looking alot into belly binding after leaving the hospital. i have heard pretty great things about it and discovered that it is not all vanity. it actually helps get your organs back into place and with core strength as well as helps to flatten the belly faster after delivery. there are several brands (belly bandit, squeem, bellefit). i know it isn't a "quick fix" but from what i have seen, it will give you a nice jump start!
  • Sharyn913
    Options
    What exactly is belly binding? My main concern was the pooch getting even bigger to the point of no return =/
  • aynhagenbarth
    aynhagenbarth Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    my kids are 7 & 8 and I still have a pooch, but it's because I had c- sections. it is getting better though! lots of hard work!
  • cathymarie75
    cathymarie75 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have 2 boys the only reason I think I have a pooch now is last was a csection....didnt have one after my first.
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    It did not get bigger after my second baby, it was basically the same. I am 11 months PP and my pooch is basically gone thanks to doing Insanity.
  • freckletone
    Options
    it really does depend to be honest

for instance, i got a shed load of stretch marks with y first baby but no new ones with my second
    i've lost a lot of weight sice having my second baby so i don't know how different my pouch got lol but i didn't notice it was any worse

if you're worried ab exercises are the way to go- but don't bother with just sit ups, they're pointless for this
    you need to work the lower ab muscles to make them stronger and help prevent the pouch from getting worse
  • bloodraynegatito
    bloodraynegatito Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    i have two kids. just had my daughter. when i had my son the pooch went away pretty quick. but with my daughter seems to get worse :(
  • bloodraynegatito
    bloodraynegatito Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    i use waist training corsets to help
  • GoBucks96
    GoBucks96 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I had three babies before I was 30, and ended up with an awful pooch. I tried everything to get rid of it (abdominal exercises, running, rowing, spinning, etc.), but I really think it was pilates that finally did it for me. Of course, then I had baby #4 at 33, and well, I'm still trying to get the weight back off. (Found out it wasn't as easy as it was in my 20s!) The other thing is to make sure you check for "ab separation." If you have that, then you need a different set of exercises to bring your core back into shape. http://www.todaysparent.com/health/exercise/ab-rehab-post-baby-ab-exercises Good luck with everything!!
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    My pooch went away after baby no 4 when I was working out constantly at the gym etc. I then went on to have baby no 5, he's 4 years old now and it's not as easy as it was before.

I'm currently doing Insanity and hoping, fingers crossed, touchwood, that it goes away - apart from my pooch, I love my body :laugh:
  • Rhiana1188
    Rhiana1188 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Mine after babies number 2 & 3 were not bigger than with baby number 1, but it has definitely been much harder to get rid of it than with my first. Your tummy muscles become more lax and skin loses more elasticity with each baby so it is harder to bounce back.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 24 of Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred and actually seeing it go away! I had 2 c-sections -BeforeI started 30DS, my little pooch hung over my c-section incision. Now it's getting much smaller. I might try 30DS again after I'm done. BTW, I'm 44 and had my second child at 40 - much harder to lose weight at this age, but it's working!
  • Sharyn913
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies!
  • cathymarie75
    cathymarie75 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    What is waist training corsets?
    i use waist training corsets to help
  • tmtolbert
    tmtolbert Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    belly binding is similar to what the doctor does after a surgery to help with the healing. it aids in getting rid of the extra fluid and helps things get back in place quicker. it kind of keeps everything tight in that area and provides support for your healing body. it is still very common after birth in some european and asian countries. i am personally going to get the bellefit binder and it is very similar to spankx. you were it for the first 6 weeks after birth to help the body get back into its shape especially while the hormone relaxin is still present in the body. from what i understand it really aids in the healing process and i have seen some before and afters of women that got back in pre-pregnancy jeans in just a few weeks. obviously the results are greater if you are concentrating on having a healthy diet. like i said earlier, it isn't a quick fix, but it is definitely a tool that will help you get back into pre-pregnancy shape faster and will help to strengthen your core after delivery so that clean eating and eventually exercise will be more effective. feel free to message me if you have any questions!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I put on more weight all over with my 2nd baby so the pooch bit was bigger. SHe's nearly 2 now and it's got a lot smaller but still needs work. My belly was never flat before I had children though.