Logging Lettuce

Options
When you are having salad or have some various type of lettuce (such as green oak lettuce, romaine, arugular, red oak, butter head) in your meal, do you clump them all and weight them together or separate them first then weight it?

Replies

• tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Lettuces are sooo low cal, you could just weigh them together... but if you're being really strict then weigh them separately. I personally just eyeball my lettuce by the cup because it's such a low cal item any ways.
  • danceaway100
    danceaway100 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am really new at this (tomorrow will be day 15) and I don't have a scale. I think that when it comes to lettuce, the "eyeball" measuring system is sufficient.

Then again...what my eyeballs and my mirror were telling me was sooooo much nicer than what my scale told me. Yep, getting a scale today and weighing everything separate!!
  • muwchck
    muwchck Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I tend to weigh everything separately. I'm not sure that it would make much if any difference with lettuce, but I do it anyway. Some people don't even log things like lettuce because they are so low calorie. I'm working my diary right now that if it passes my lips it is to be logged, even if it's just one bite. I tend to get out of control very quickly if I don't make myself stop and log something though.
  • wldrose75
    wldrose75 Posts: 128
    Options
    If I'm having a salad, I eyeball the amount and just log that. If I'm having something like 1 leaf of iceburg on a sandwich, I don't even bother logging it.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Eyeballing or even using a 2 cup measure is plenty accurate, lettuces unless you are eating power greens that contribute nutrients in a measureable way are mostly for filling you up and contributing phytochemicals to your diet (you need them but they are not measured in MFP in any way). There are some like spinach, romaine, and a few others that do contribute more nutrients but you'd have to eat a lot in a day to get the benefits. Logging it is fine, hopefully the 20 calories is not going to affect your day one way or the other.
  • splashblob
    splashblob Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I weight them but I am not sure would it make any different if I weight them all together or weight them separately. I am a novice in cooking and sometimes I don't even know the names of green in my salad plate. :embarassed:
  • itbepanda
    itbepanda Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I log everything I eat but just eyeball lettuce.
    I don't have a scale though, with my OCD I would probably end up micromanaging and things would get out of hand so I'm "not allowed" do have one. For now.
  • deannakittygirl
    deannakittygirl Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I do have a scale and have found a good handful is about a cups worth so mostly I do not weigh the lettuces anymore. but I would just do them all together not individual. spring mix is in database. that is what you are making by mixing them together.