Running and Shin Splints.

Options
Hi there,

So I've been using the couch to 5K app for around 6 weeks now and have been progressing well. However, as my runs have become longer and more intense I have been developing a pain in my right leg especially. Usually I just worked through it and it went after a few hours of pain. However, after my latest run it affected bother legs - although again, mostly my right. Although this time the pain lessened but didn't completely go and now, when I climb steps of attempt to run it really aches.

The doctor said I need to stop running for a couple of weeks but I'm worried that will ruin the stamina I've worked so hard to build!

Have any of you had a similar situation? Is it just that I'm simply running wrong and so putting weight on the wrong parts of my foot when I run?

Grace.

Replies

• Bigboss54
    Bigboss54 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi grace,
    I used to get shin splint when I first started running. To get releif from them I changed my runners to asics gel 2170's with plenty of arch support. Made sure to warm up with a 10 minute fast walk then have a stretch of the leg muscles then do my run. The shoe change was the biggest help.
    Hope that helps

Jeff
  • TooHott2Trott
    TooHott2Trott Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I used to have this issue. I went to a running store and got fitted for the proper shoe. That along with a pair of compression socks did the trick for me.

Good luck!
  • DavidKBrewer
    Options
    Same deal as above. Used to get them a lot until I got very comfortable shoes. Also, running less on concrete and more on soft tracks or trails.

If you have to rest, per the doctor, make sure you do something else that will still keep your endurance up like biking or elliptical so that you have an easier time getting back.
  • billibenson
    billibenson Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Dido what everyone else said. Compression socks are amazing. Wear them during the day until you're healed up too. Believe me, it helps. Your MD is also correct in prescribing rest. Granted, I don't know that I would take two weeks off.
  • gracefox33
    Options
    Oh dear, more money.
    Thankyou guys! I shall find where the recommended stores are in Bristol.

:)
  • lynseyruns
    lynseyruns Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Also check how your foot hits the ground. Do you land on your heel? Are your shoes flexible enough to allow proper movement of your foot? Try adjusting your landing and hit with the ball of your foot. It will give you added shock absorption as your foot hits the ground. For me it made my runs easier. As for shoes, I really like the Saucony kinvara. They are extremely light and very flexible.
  • kaseybill
    kaseybill Posts: 28
    Options
    I just noticed after my run today that I have shin splints, which I haven't had in years! In high school I had them from training on the tennis courts (running/ drills) so I have always avoided running on concrete. The last two week I've been doing a boot camp which involved running up stairs, which are concrete, and now here we are. It took me this post to realize what the cause was... new shoes, check; trail running, check; stair climbing= definite cause!
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    ice. rest. and new shoes.
  • pstansel74
    pstansel74 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    As a heavy guy I got them bad until I did 3 things:

1) Became VERY aware of my cadence. Get to 180BPM if you can or at least as close as possible. It forced you to step light, which significantly reduces the impact on your legs and thus your shins.

2) Got some good compression stockings and iced regularly after my runs

3) Doing the excercises here frequently: http://www.summitmedicalgroup.com/library/adult_health/sma_shin_pain_exercises/

For reference I no longer get them, and I just did my first Half this weekend.
  • ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    As a heavy guy I got them bad until I did 3 things:

1) Became VERY aware of my cadence. Get to 180BPM if you can or at least as close as possible. It forced you to step light, which significantly reduces the impact on your legs and thus your shins.

2) Got some good compression stockings and iced regularly after my runs

3) Doing the excercises here frequently: http://www.summitmedicalgroup.com/library/adult_health/sma_shin_pain_exercises/

For reference I no longer get them, and I just did my first Half this weekend.

The third point is great. Shin splints often come from the calf developing faster than the shin. The calf gets tight and pulls on the shin. This causes pain. Stretching the calf helps reduce the pull, and strengthening the shin with toes raises and such help build the shin muscles.