A question for the girls

Options
Right...so this may be TMI, but hell, I'm sure all you ladies have been there.

So I started my period today and I'm soooo crampy, not to mention...flowing heavily. I can't bring myself to do the hardcore workout I usually do because..well, I just think it's a bad idea on multiple levels.

What do you guys usually do when/if you have this problem? I know I should probably get some exercise but I'm feeling just awful. I'd appreciate some advice, or even just reassurance that a cheat day is ok (haha).

Thanks!

Replies

• kristinaw1967
    Options
    How about some easy-yoga/stretching? That would probably relief some of the cramps.
  • CaddieMay
    CaddieMay Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Make yourself a cup of herbal tea, curl up in the fetal position, and rest.
  • leeanneowens
    leeanneowens Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Get some rest.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Exercise actually helps relieve the cramping, believe it or not. I don't let TOM stop me from working out.. it will boost your mood as well. Even just getting out for a brisk walk helps. Give it a try!
  • mumof5
    mumof5 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    LISTEN TO YOUR BODY!!!! R E S T!!

is this normal for you? it might be helpful to watch your daily iron intake - you might need a top up :)
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    I actually discovered that lifting and working heavy when I'm on girl time makes me feel better... It seems to ease some of the cramping and such
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Exercise actually helps relieve the cramping, believe it or not. I don't let TOM stop me from working out.. it will boost your mood as well. Even just getting out for a brisk walk helps. Give it a try!

Same for me! Sometimes I do take Tylenol to ease the cramps then go for a run.
  • med2017
    med2017 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    a great day for a rest, with a good excuse ;)
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I will skip the heavy workout and do something easy – walk in the park maybe. I try to listen to my body.
  • neacail
    neacail Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    A gynecologist told me, years ago, that at the first show of blood I should start popping ibuprofen (according to the instructions on the bottle). He said that not only would it drastically alleviate the pain, but it would also reduce the flow.

In my case, he was 100% correct. The reduction in flow is significant when I follow his instructions: take it immediately. It has helped me tremendously. When I follow his instructions, I can do any activity.

In your case, for what you're enduring right now, I think that what is most appropriate is a day of rest. Curl up with a book, and exercise your brain instead. :smile:
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

This is my advice. I can barely walk on my period, let alone exercise.
  • randoswife
    randoswife Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    As long as I can stand upright, I'll walk. Not my normal fast pace, but a comfortable 3-3.5 mph. Once I get going I feel better. That lasts about an hour afterwards then I'm hurting again, but not as bad. And I feel better knowing I got some exercise in.

I listen to my body, if it is ok with some mild exercise, I go for it...if not, I wait it out.
  • sian_1989
    sian_1989 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    And me, since I've been exercising more regularly, my cramps aren't half as bad as they used to be!
  • Jewelforyou
    Options
    I workout the same as I normally would. I have pretty bad cramps so I have to take something for pain relief either way, and once that starts to kick in there's no reason why I can't carry on as normal (except for maybe feeling a bit "blah" but the workout actually helps me with that).
  • kriskris92
    kriskris92 Posts: 190 Member
    Options

QFT. Listen to your body.
  • ShannonBrewer07
    Options
    I am close to the end of my period right now and I didn't allow myself any break time this week. It was also a light, low pain cycle this time around. Listen to your body, get a little rest in and relax. Watch what you eat and stay within your calories. If you feel like doing a few minutes of exercise, then do it.
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options

True for me as well - plus it helps my....attitude. :)
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    If you absolutely cant stand the idea of not doing anything, then I would suggest stretching - you can do a half hour of stretching, working all different muscle groups, and it will still be beneficial.
  • RosalindSutch
    Options
    just rest or go for a walk. your body gets stronger when you rest ....(assumes you are resting from having worked out at some point of course)
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I didn't work out when I felt that way.