What's the healthy to eat at Olive Garden...

Options
I trying to do low carb. I don't want to go overboard and just eat what I want. I do usually have a cheat meal every week, but I still want to make a healthy choice.

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I trying to do low carb. I don't want to go overboard and just eat what I want. I do usually have a cheat meal every week, but I still want to make a healthy choice.

yeah... nothing really. it's all crazy high calorie - even the soup + salad if you have those ****ing breadsticks. Just order what you like, eat whatever you want, and jump back on the horse tomorrow. :)
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Agreed - nothing is healthy! You may get something that doesn't have 80g of fat in it but it still has 2000mg of sodium so just eat something you will enjoy and jump back on the wagon tomorrow!
  • hottiebikerchick
    hottiebikerchick Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    maybe see if theycan make your salad "naked" or if you do order pasta, ask if you can get something off the kids menu- you'd be surprised how many places will let you if you say you are on a diet or diabetic.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I checked the website and ate something off the kids menu a few months back. It was super good and shaved hundreds of calories. Truth is the portion size was correct and I was really satisfied. It's an option anyways. :drinker:
  • da1128
    da1128 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to order what you want and divide it into portions, halves or even thirds. Eat one portion and bring the rest home to have for another meal later or even the next day. It will be just as good and you'll get more than one delicious meal out of it.
  • kcobb268
    kcobb268 Posts: 85
    Options
    There is a 575 calorie section on their menu. I enjoyed the vegetable lasagna! Oh, yummy!!!
  • WilBSkinee
    WilBSkinee Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You can find all of the nutritional info on their website. I just went last week, but had to carefully plan before going. Get your dressing on the side, watch out for those breadsticks, sooo delish but 140 calories each!! And box up most of your meal, you could probably get two additional lunches out of it. Then go to the gym!! LOL. But enjoy...I did!!
  • bdotshaw
    bdotshaw Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You can make better choices at virtually any restaurant! The last time I went to Olive Garden, I had the zuppa tuscana soup and a chicken caesar salad, no croutons, with balsamic vinegar on the side. The apricot chicken is also fairly safe. It's glazed chicken breast with asparagus on the side. It isn't easy to eat these things while your friends/fam are eating delicious pasta and breadsticks, but if you want it badly enough you'll make it work. Good luck!
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    their venetian chicken is as healthy and low carb as you can go. flavorful and full of protein and veggies. get that as long as you can handle watching everyone else eat breadsticks and pasta
  • ilovelucy711
    ilovelucy711 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    First, order the salad but ask for the dressing to be put on the side or no dressing at all.
    Second, I like the minestrone soup! Lots of veggies and delicious!
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    There's no point in going to Olive Garden to 'eat healthy'--it's all high carbs and/or high fat and/or high sodium unless you eat a bowl of undressed salad and a dry grilled chicken breast...which you can eat at home, much cheaper and in your pajamas. If you are going out for a mini splurge meal, get something you love, eat a portion and save some for later, have a taste or two of someone's dessert; a bread stick & salad with dressing on the side; and a glass of wine. Drink lots of water to move the sodium along and jump back into healthy eating and exercise the next day...that's my plan.
  • melonclarinet
    melonclarinet Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Go online and check their nutrition facts: http://olivegarden.com/Menu/Nutrition/
    Click on "lighter fares" and it will give you the better options. They are all options at 500 calories or less; they do have 1000-2000 mg of sodium though.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    That food is delicious, but quite high in calories. This is a good opportunity to exercise your planning skills.
    Find their nutritional menu online. Decide ahead of time what you will order. Log it into your diary. Head over there confidently, and enjoy! One tip you might consider is ordering an entree, immediately splitting it in half, and putting half of it in a to go container.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    You know what's healthy? The seafood alfredo. I had that a few days ago, and it was the best 1200 calories spent in a long time. Healthy for the soul counts, right?

You could be boring and get the minestrone soup and salad, I guess.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    That food is delicious, but quite high in calories. This is a good opportunity to exercise your planning skills.
    Find their nutritional menu online. Decide ahead of time what you will order. Log it into your diary. Head over there confidently, and enjoy! One tip you might consider is ordering an entree, immediately splitting it in half, and putting half of it in a to go container.

this is actually great advice!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

this is actually great advice!

i second that!

Also, depending upon what you order, you can request they cook without oil or butter, salad dressing on the side, etc., etc.
  • TheShrinkingKween
    TheShrinkingKween Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I just ate at Olive Garden last night. The Lobster Cannelloni with Shrimp is what I had. It's 510 calories, so not totally out there. Everything is kind of high in carbs. I had no breadsticks and ate the salad with the dressing. I also had a cocktail and still only ended up at 930 Calories for my entire dinner. I ate every bite of my meal and enjoyed it immensely! All of their nutrition info is on the site, so I just took some time beforehand and looked for something that wasn't like 1200 calories that I thought I would like. Good luck and enjoy yourself!
  • healthby40
    healthby40 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    So I ended up having a high carb day today. I ate the salad and a breadstick. I also had the lasanga primavera with grilled chicken (lighter fare menu), So not great, but so much better than I would have done months ago. I'm going to have a light dinner and workout tonight hoping I didn't do too much damage to my progress. Thanks for all the suggestions. You are all great.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    the water...?
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken breast/fish/lean steak, steamed veggies(yes they do that), and tons of salad......dressing on the side, use sparingly. and then like 3-6 bites of a breadstick, dessert, or a full glass of wine. after all it is a CHEAT!!!!!