Fiber...too much = bad?

Options
So, according to my daily values I'm aloud 'x' amount of fiber.
Is it absolutely terrible if I go over? I thought fiber was good for you.

Replies

• MissKaay
    MissKaay Posts: 25
    Options
    Your supposed to get a minimum of 25 if your a woman and more if your a man, so no its not bad. When I came on, they set mine really low, so I changed it.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I agree, you should get at least at least 25g but I tend to feel better closer to 30g or when my fiber comes from nuts.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I dont think unless you have kidney problems, extra protein wont hurt ya
  • dmcpage
    dmcpage Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    If nothing else, you will be regular...... :laugh:
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Eating too much excessively can cause digestion issues. I myself eat about 35-45g fiber daily and have no digestion concerns, I love all-bran so If I have lots of veggies which I do daily, 40+ isn’t a shock for me. If you start noticing problems especially if consistency changes (which means your body is flushing out the food and nutrition along with it too fast, before it can be absorbed by the body) then cut it back. You’ll be fine!
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    I raised mine as well. I think more fiber is better then less- that is the one thing you don't have to stress about going over!
  • mookiemoomoo
    mookiemoomoo Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    how do you raise it mine is 14 i thought that was way to low i would like to up mine dont know how to do it though
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Home / Goals / Change Goals / Custom / just type in 25 in "Fiber".
  • mookiemoomoo
    mookiemoomoo Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    thanks huni
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    just be careful if you change other fields like protein or carbs- everything changes then
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Eating too much excessively can cause digestion issues. I myself eat about 35-45g fiber daily and have no digestion concerns, I love all-bran so If I have lots of veggies which I do daily, 40+ isn’t a shock for me. If you start noticing problems especially if consistency changes (which means your body is flushing out the food and nutrition along with it too fast, before it can be absorbed by the body) then cut it back. You’ll be fine!

Like Heathersmilez, I am a big fiber fan - I have always tended to eat a lot of it - I feel fantastic when I do, and terribly sluggish and bloated when I don't. Everyone's different, though. Start out slow and work your way up ... don't want any blowouts! :wink:
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I eat at least 5 veggies per day, and that alone will set you over on your fiber on MFP. If you don't like to see the red you can up your fiber on the MFP guide. I left it alone so that if I am NOT red I know I need more veggies! :happy: