I don't sweat when I workout

Options
no matter how hard I workout, no matter how tired I am, how high my heart rate, or what activity I am doing I don't sweat!?!? my face turns super red but I never actually sweat. is that normal? is there something wrong with me? does anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• missmaggie369
    Options
    Maybe you are not drinking enough water before/throughout the day before your workout...
  • travishalogod
    travishalogod Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    yes, it is a sign if dehydration and can be very dangerous,, make sure you are drinking enough fluids.. at least a gallon of water a day. no joke.. try a gatorade here and there too, your electrolytes could be off.

I had this problem too, it was water related.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    If you are REALLY pushing yourself, then maybe you aren't drinking enough water?
    Can you give us an idea of what exercises you are doing, how long for, etc?
  • carriej82
    carriej82 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    elliptical- the 30 min weight loss program
    today I ran intervals on the treadmill for 30 min
    body pump
    step aerobics 45 minute class
  • carriej82
    Options
    I mostly workout in the morning, I drink a bottle of water, sometimes 2 before I workout... during the workout I will drink another bottle of water. I will try drinking more water before working out.
  • Showmm
    Showmm Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Is your face wet when it goes red? When you say you don't sweat, do you mean you don't have rivers running down from your armpits or do you mean you don't even get a bit clammy there, on your back or your crotch? Sorry to be graphic, just trying to understand.
  • carriej82
    Options
    no my face isn't wet at all just red. I suppose my armpits might get a tiny bit "Clammy" but that is it... no where else.

and I know I am working out at a good level because I have the link armband from the biggest loser and it has me in a vigorous activity level.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    some people sweat more than others.
    if you've never been sweaty in your life then maybe you just don't sweat a lot.
    beware of over heating!
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    no my face isn't wet at all just red. I suppose my armpits might get a tiny bit "Clammy" but that is it... no where else.

and I know I am working out at a good level because I have the link armband from the biggest loser and it has me in a vigorous activity level.

Hmm, it seems like you are doing a good amount of exercise so it could be you just aren't a "sweaty person". I know a few people who don't even have to wear deodorant because it's just not a problem for them. If you are losing weight then I'd say it isn't too big of a problem.
  • dumparump
    dumparump Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Anhidrosis would be the medical term used for this particular condition. I also have this particular problem. You probably swell up when you excersize too. I've been seeing a therapist for a month now, and discovered this can be attributed toward a weak lymphatic system. Dry sauna's will be your best friend.
  • getnstarted
    Options
    I have the exact same thing. When I do an intense 45-min spin class (staying in one spot with no cooling effect) I might eke out a bit of sweat on my forehead, but otherwise dry as a bone. And my entire head turns red red red. People look at me like they're afraid I'm about to explode into a rage or drop dead of a heart attack. Doesn't seem to matter how much water I've had to drink, either. I've found I've had to avoid running outside mid-day in the summer...because I'm not sweating, all that heat has nowhere to go, and I end up with a wicked headache about 3 hours later. (BTW, electrolyte drinks seem to help me with that as long as I have them fairly soon after the run).
  • jeniireland
    jeniireland Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Carrie, I wouldn't worry, I work out like a demon too and I don't sweat. I lived for a long time in the Caribbean, everyone around me would be sweating buckets and I looked like I just stepped out of an air-conditioned room, I don't even turn pink. My Dad doesn't sweat much either, I understand there's a condition called Anhidrosis, but I don't have any issues. The only problem I have is that I'm always cold and my regular body temperature and blood pressure are naturally lower than the average. I'm sure you're fine, just keep on plugging and be happy to not have sweat stains :-p
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    You should see your doctor for a diagnosis. If it is anhidrosis, it could be a symptom of some serious underlying condition, or it could be relatively benign, except insofar as it makes exercise unpleasant.
  • tziol
    tziol Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    try doing Insanity and let us know if you still don't sweat ;-)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    aren't you a rose
  • iwillthistime1988
    iwillthistime1988 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Same here since I was young not a drop only a red asss faceee that burns inside since the sweat wont come out....but the boom after 26 years,I accidentally imidiatiadly turn the shower on hot I was tooo bussy in da toilet on my phone to even notice until drops of actual sweat was driping on my phone....I was sooo happy I took a picture.lol...this just happened 1month ago.
  • jenny3008
    jenny3008 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Do you sweat at other times, say when you are just hot and not exercising.
    I used to have real problems with this when I started exercising properly, I didn't really sweat just got a bit clammy and got hotter and hotter and hotter. Often having to stop as I was overheating so much

I'm fitter now and don't seem to have this problem of not sweating anymore. I do still have a tendency to overheat though so the air con is my friend
  • supersmellyflower
    supersmellyflower Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I know someone who had a heat injury, and as a result now they don't sweat enough when they get hot and pass out.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    aren't you a rose
    you are. lol.