Candida diet anyone?

Options
1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
Have you tried the candida diet? Not necessarily for weight loss, but to cure your candida problem? The diet includes natural dietary anti-fungals such as garlic and coconut oil ( in small amounts of course), zero man made food, certain types of meats or other proteins, and vegetables which are low in sugar and carbs.
IF you used this diet for your candida, I would like to know your story. How long did it take for you? Did it work? How did your over all health and feelings of wellness change? Did joint certain bothersome symptoms diminish, such as post nasal drip, joint pain, cravings for sweets etc....
This is not a debate by the way.

Replies

• llpaq
    llpaq Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm going to "bump" this because I just recently heard of this.......Would like to know more too. :smile:
  • Broejen
    Broejen Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I did it for 6 weeks in 2010 and will never do it again. I lost 25lbs, but that's because I was starving myself because I didn't like a lot of the stuff I was allowed to eat. It didn't stop the one symptom I was hoping it would (itching without anything visual like redness or bumps), so I stopped. I still am itchy more than I'd like, but it has calmed down tremendously on its own. After about 6 months off the diet, I gained all 25lbs back plus another 20!
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I did it for 6 weeks felt terrible for the first week lots of headaches no energy but then felt better. I stopped because my nutritional therapist insisted on lots of supplements that cost £100 a month I couldn't justify this with 3 kids and she adid diet without supplements was no good. I coped but it was hard to follow.
    Options
    I have been on it for 6 days now. I don't feel miserable and I feel well fed. The vegetables and other food it allows have always been my favorites anyway. I have noticed some small improvements, but I don't plan to count my chickens before they hatch. I was planning on staying on the plan for two months. The second month being less intense of course. Of course, I have my difficult moments of wanting to dive head first into the candy rack at the grocery store. It has not been without it's challenges.
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I do a "candida fast" by simply cutting out sugar and yeast as much as I can and taking a naturopathic supplement. I have stopped craving sweets but I can't totally cut out sugar (still have fruit and sugar in my coffee). But I can tell you that I feel much better!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Any diet that tells me I can't eat lentils and tuna is suspect, in my mind. But if it sounds sustainable to you, go for it.
    Options
    It's not that big a deal to temporarily eliminate certain foods for the greater good as far as my health is concerned. I love lentils. I can't say I haven't been guilty of eating a full pound of them by myself over the course of a day or two! I do think of foods like that which I do crave often.
  • ltowne
    ltowne Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Major allergies and I was given the candida; however, mingled with other allergies, it got so very confusing. I was constantly looking at lists to see what I could/could not eat. I tried it for awhile and finally gave up although I lost about 20 pounds at the time. I ended up with the cross reactive food list for the allergies and have been doing fairly well with the addition of allergy shots. Not sure it is sustainable over a long period of time or healthy. I have tried moderation and awareness.
  • Ejwelton
    Ejwelton Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    6 weeks isn't long enough. At that point you will be in the "worse before its better" stage.
    A colleague of mne is doing this and she is looking at twelve months before she is clear and can start introducing foods ack into her diet

She struggled for the first month or so but stuck with it and has come through and is starting to feel much better. Part of the struggle was with what she can eat, but she's been doing a lot of research and found lots of recipes to try that have expanded the variation of meals.
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of different approaches that people call "Candida diets" and they're not all created equal. I feel some are too restrictive. Some are just clean eating approaches that are fine.

If you want to be rid of candida it's really pretty simple.. don't feed the yeast any sugars for awhile and it will go away.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Stop taking advice from "alternative" medical practices and your candida problem will vanish.
    There is evidence based medicine and all the stuff that doesn't work. When it works, we'll have evidence.
    Options
    There IS evidence that the right dietary approach will help this problem. However, it is so restrictive that many find it difficult to endure for the time required. By the way, I would call the diet an alternative approach.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Stop taking advice from "alternative" medical practices and your candida problem will vanish.
    There is evidence based medicine and all the stuff that doesn't work. When it works, we'll have evidence.

I agree. I had problems with yeast infections after having several courses of antibiotics back-to-back years ago. I spoke to doctors, did my research and had to accept that prescription medication and trying to get my immune system fighting fit was the only way to tackle it.

I found no scientific evidence that diet would have any effect (sugar etc is not proven to have an effect, for example).

Eating fresh and healthy food will do you no harm, as it will support your body to heal itself, but I really don't think there is a need to be extreme about excluding foods. Exercise also will help support your immune system.

I also take probiotics after each course of antibiotics now and try to eat live yogurt every day (a couple of spoons of it dolloped on curry or chilli is great). Not sure if it's a placebo effect but I definitely feel better.
    Options
    Some people have this candida problem on a larger scale. Once it becomes systemic you do really have to get something else to help it out. But if it is still localized in the digestive tract then odds are the diet is going to be more beneficial. Now about doctors, there are not that many who even believe candida is a problem in the first place. And with the new health care scam in place, good luck doctor hopping.

PS. in my previous post I meant to say "I would not call this alternative approach."
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

straight up BS. candida is best treated holistically - end of story. nothing doctors give you will treat the CAUSE of candida. they'll give you antibiotics that will also kill the GOOD bacteria. that's not a situation you want to be in either, and when you stop taking the antibiotics, the candida will come back.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I agree. I had problems with yeast infections after having several courses of antibiotics back-to-back years ago. I spoke to doctors, did my research and had to accept that prescription medication and trying to get my immune system fighting fit was the only way to tackle it.

I found no scientific evidence that diet would have any effect (sugar etc is not proven to have an effect, for example).

Eating fresh and healthy food will do you no harm, as it will support your body to heal itself, but I really don't think there is a need to be extreme about excluding foods. Exercise also will help support your immune system.

I also take probiotics after each course of antibiotics now and try to eat live yogurt every day (a couple of spoons of it dolloped on curry or chilli is great). Not sure if it's a placebo effect but I definitely feel better.

are you still on antibiotics????
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    It's not that big a deal to temporarily eliminate certain foods for the greater good as far as my health is concerned. I love lentils. I can't say I haven't been guilty of eating a full pound of them by myself over the course of a day or two! I do think of foods like that which I do crave often.

That's the problem. You're looking at a "temporary" solution. No super-restrictive special diet is a long-term solution.

Here's the question: "What do you do when the "Candida" diet ends?"

Here's the postscript: "Start doing that stuff now, and skip the Candida diet."
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

straight up BS. candida is best treated holistically - end of story. nothing doctors give you will treat the CAUSE of candida. they'll give you antibiotics that will also kill the GOOD bacteria. that's not a situation you want to be in either, and when you stop taking the antibiotics, the candida will come back.

They give antibiotics to treat candida?
  • CoachReddy
    Options

That's the problem. You're looking at a "temporary" solution. No super-restrictive special diet is a long-term solution.

Here's the question: "What do you do when the "Candida" diet ends?"

Here's the postscript: "Start doing that stuff now, and skip the Candida diet."

neither are antibiotics. i'd argue this is healthier.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

They give antibiotics to treat candida?

chyah - read SRH's post above.