Going on a cruise-best way to count calories?

Options
We are going on a cruise soon and I'm worried about gaining weight. I looked on here and did a google search but the only item I can find calories for on Carnival is their warm chocolate melting cake...my absolute favorite dessert which I ordered every night for dinner last time...this time I won't. How am I supposed to count calories when I don't have access to this information? I know I can look up each individual item but portion sizes and preparation can vary so much. Also, I won't have Internet access most of the time.

Anyone been successful at this while cruising? I wil be facing nonstop temptations.

Replies

• fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I don't know about calories, but on a Carnival Cruise, my priority would be not getting lost at sea. :laugh:
  • psych0kitty
    psych0kitty Posts: 313
    Options
    IMO, just have a vacation. Just don't overeat, make healthy choices (which you already know by deciding to not have that cake every night), and do some activity. I'm going to NYC in June and I think that's going to be my philosophy.
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    The best way is to simply enjoy your cruise, enjoy the meals, eat smart when you can (breakfast and lunch was easiest for me), and start counting again upon your return. Portion sizes help too.

Many people "anguish" about this but find out they only gain a pound or two when on vacation...so just enjoy it.

Guilt is a terrible companion to have on vacation!
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    You could email or phone the cruise company itself and ask if you can have that information if it's available. I also know you can buy books from larger bookstores are nutritional information indexes, with lists of hundreds of foods and their information, might be an okay solution if you won't have access to the internet, you'd have to keep a hardcopy journal and add it all up yourself though. If the cruise is only a few days, I wouldn't worry too much about it, just watch your portions if you are really concerned.
  • cruzcrzyMarie
    cruzcrzyMarie Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    We will be cruising soon and are bringing a travel scale to monitor our weight daily like we do at home. We ordered it off Amazon. On our last cruise we were successful with eating a late lunch, and skipping dinner in the dining room. We've been on many cruises so did not feel like we were missing out on the dining experience.

Try to take the stairs versus elevator, eat within reason, watch the alcohol and you should be fine.
  • dianakorinesmith
    Options
    you could just have a break in counting calories for the week that your going on a cruise , and just watch the portions . You will most likely be active on a cruise ship anyway .
  • IliN82
    IliN82 Posts: 108
    Options
    Just eat, enjoy and do some exercise like swimming! ENJOY!
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Food has calories when you're on vacation? Huh. That's news to me.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Tough one!

Relax! Go on holiday and enjoy the food. Is it possible to work out at all? You can do lots of push ups and assisted pull ups and bodyweight squats.

Quick YouTube search got me this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks52SopaSI8

It's nothing special, but it's better than sitting on your bum for a week!
  • AnnaVee84
    AnnaVee84 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    My family and I were able to maintain weight on a cruise last year by first loading up on salad and fresh fruit before hitting up the rest of the buffet and just monitoring portion control and staying away/limiting the more dangerous items. And we stayed active during the sea days by walking the decks to enjoy the nice weather, taking stairs (elevators were always so slow and always full anyways), basketball, and their dance classes! Lots of dancing!! Just were more conscious of what we were doing and eating but still had a ton of fun

Enjoy yourself and your vacation!! :bigsmile:
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Yeah totally agree, just chill, a few days on hols won't set you back to ground zero of your weight loss. Just enjoy your holiday and restart when you get home x
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Don't. Just don't. You'll kill the party when you try and worry about stuff like that.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    take a diet break., enjoy your cruise. don't fly off the handle. get in some fun activity.
  • groversa
    groversa Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it, just stay active and don't stuff yourself full every time you eat. I was told I would gain a lot of weight when I went to MX this past year, but because I was always swimming or snorkeling or being active in general, I actually lost weight!
  • onsugarhill
    onsugarhill Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I was on vacation in Puerto Rico earlier this month, and what I did was eat just about whatever I wanted but log it as accurately as I could. I didn't want to restrict myself on vacation, but I wanted to be honest. I tried to pick healthy options sometimes, but if I wanted a quesito (cream cheese-filled pastry) for breakfast I had one. :o)

I guessed completely on categorizations, picking whatever seemed closest, and I took pictures of all of my meals so I wouldn't forget anything and when I logged them later I could estimate amounts.

I actually ended up at or under my calorie goal almost every day due to all the walking, swimming, etc. The only day I went way over was my birthday, when I went out to a steakhouse and had a chocolate lava cake for dessert. I ended up losing half a pound in the 10 days I was there and have lost almost 4 pounds in the two weeks I've been back (way faster than I'd been losing before).
  • libertygirlfla
    libertygirlfla Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm leaving for a cruise on Monday and have bee stressing over the same thing. I got lots of good advice as well, but finally settled on just trying to make good choices most of the time but not worrying too much.

I'm bringing workout clothes and have scheduled active excursions such as snorkeling and kayaking. I'm also bringing a box of Luna bars and Organic granola bars so I'm less tempted to hit the pizza bar if I get hungry late in the evening.

Have a terrific trip!
  • shayemimi
    shayemimi Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I just got back from a cruise almost a month ago, and I logged, but allowed myself to go over on calories, basically eating at or around maintenance. I just tried to make mostly healthy choices, didn't have dessert after every meal, shared some desserts with the hubby and didn't over do the alcohol. I guessed on the portions/what to log etc. as close as I could, you start to know approx. how many calories things have. I only gained 5 lbs, which I lost within the first week home, as it was mostly water weight, etc. You can do it! Don't worry if you gain a little you can get back into it when you get home! :D
  • shayemimi
    shayemimi Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Oh- and I went to the gym several times, walked tons everyday on our excursions, and took the stairs (ran up them!) instead of the elevator as much as possible. Earn the extra calories!! :D
  • JessicaN1979
    JessicaN1979 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Cruises have a ton of fresh fruits and veggies and seafood :) I have never gained weight on a cruise, but I hear a lot of people do. I would say eat in the dining room once a day not all three meals cause that could really cause a high intake of calories. I go for the fresh fruits and veggies for my breakfast and lunch and then the dining room for dinner. Just helps balance things out. The Rum Runners were always my weakness LOL!! There are gyms onboard that overlook the ocean and make it more enjoyable to work out! Enjoy your cruise (I am so jealous :)) OH AND DANCE, DANCE, DANCE!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I'm headed to an all-inclusive vacation soon and usually travel this way... Buffets have healthy fare. My strategy is to pick one meal each day that is going to be slightly more indulgent, then make the other two light and healthy. I generally try and keep it lower-carb because I will usually indulge in more alcohol than usual on a vacation, so I make up for those calories there.