Okay...need help, please. This is getting ridiculous.

Options

Replies

• funhouse77
    funhouse77 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    At 4ft 11, you'll be fine on 1200 calories.
  • ChristiCare
    ChristiCare Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    A thyroid test is not that expensive, you are only doing more damage if it isnt working properly...

Also I am 5' 9'' and my Dr has me on 1200 calories and 22-24 grams a fat a day, with excercise
  • aliciapenny
    aliciapenny Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    What types of foods make up your 1500 calories? For me, I have to keep my body guessing. If I eat the same amount every day, I don't go anywhere. So if I'm really hungry one day I'll have a 2000 calorie day, but then another day I'll do 1000 or so. The key for me is to listen to what my body is telling me. I also try to make all the calories count. I jump started my weight loss on low Carb so that Icould break my Carb habit. That was the best thing I could have done I think... now I eat carbs but not ALL carbs. Eat whole grains, lean protein, lots of veggies. Make everything count. You are really tiny and with your health issues you might need to tweak for a while to figure out what works.

^^^ Ican't help but eyeroll at that. Your body doesn't respond to guessing if it will get fed. Chances are your average calories for the week is why it responded. If your weekly average calories is lower than your TDEE then you will lose.
  • Dulcemami4ever
    Dulcemami4ever Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body is different. Maybe her body does not respond to eating a higher amount of calories. 1200 calories is fine AS LONG as you are eating ALL of your calories back from exercise. Do not go under 1200. A lot of people promote eating more because why eat less when you can still lose weight eating more? Which is understandable and makes complete sense. However SOME people are different. If eating at 1200 calories helps you lose weight and you are being healthy about it (eating your exercise calories back) then go for it. Do what works for you and your body. Just be healthy and safe.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I can see exactly where this thread is heading, the 1200'ers are already circling and ready to dive, so as I am in quite a pleasant mood tonight I shall exit the thread at this point, OP I do hope you solve your problem, best of luck to you my lovely x
  • fiona2785
    fiona2785 Posts: 82
    Options
    The thing that strikes me, is that getting so hung up on numbers and making sweeping statements such as '1200 cals is not enough', is that you're not taking your height into account. You're 4' 11" - surely you need less food that someone of, say, 5' 7" (my height). I take in between 1500 and 1600 cals daily and lose. If I took in 1900-2000 cals daily I wouldn't lose, yet someone 8 inches taller than me probably would.

You know what works for you. If you feel OK, go with it.
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    You do what works for you, everyone's metabolism is different and maybe you only need 1,200. The only thing bad about 1,200 is that's the minimum of calories created by professionals yada yada. But if that's all your body needs, that's all your body needs. Upping your calories hasn't work, so I say lower them back down and see if you see change. :)
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Just guessed on your age (23) but here are your estimates....

BMR - 1421
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) - 1772
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) - 2031
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) - 2289
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) - 2548

Exercising 6x a week puts you at LEAST moderately active, so your tdee is 2289. Take 20% cut and that puts you around 1800 daily goal. 1200 would be too low based on your numbers.

Something doesn't add up if you've gained 10 pounds but clothes still fit same. Perhaps you weighed you the day after working out, had water weight, used a different scale, weighed at a different time of the day, etc? Do you have before and after photos?
  • aliciapenny
    aliciapenny Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If you aren't seeing results your diet is off. You either are not using the correct calorie goal or you are not weighing all of your food properly. Measuring is not accurate. You must weigh.

Contrary to the excuses posted here everyone is not different. The basic laws apply to everyone.
  • ChristiCare
    ChristiCare Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I agree opeing the diary would be very helpful. Tracking is such a huge part of maybe acheiving your goals...maybe food suggestions would be a great help to you..
  • EpitomeOfSxy
    EpitomeOfSxy Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Since your calories are already low-ish/normal I would do what others had suggest and focus on where your calories are coming from. Eating clean at 1,600 calories is far different then eating mainly carbs or sugar at this intake level.

I lost 7 lbs and broke through my plateau of several months by keeping my calories the same but playing with my fat, protein and carb ratios.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Before all the 1200'ers come bounding in, I will just leave this link and leave quietly. Am in too much of a good mood tonight to stay here.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/919346-still-think-your-1200-or-less-diet-is-a-good-idea?page=1#posts-1394956
  • likepepsicola
    likepepsicola Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid checked? I know that's an annoying question, but I'm 4'11" too and I maintain 93 lbs/BMI 19 on 1300 calories with a very sedentary lifestyle. I used to weigh 140/BMI 28 and I maintained on 2000 then, also sedentary.

Your numbers are not adding up to me, although I definitely believe you that you are accurate with your calorie counting and have experienced a 10 lb weight gain starting off weighing 140 lbs/4'11" on 1600 calories with a lot of activity. Imo that shouldn't have though happened unless something is off with your metabolism.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    You should do what you know works for you.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I agree opeing the diary would be very helpful. Tracking is such a huge part of maybe acheiving your goals...maybe food suggestions would be a great help to you..

food suggestions are to eat at a calorie deficit, you don't need to see someone's diary to say that.

I have found that sometimes the diary tells a different story. One lady last week said she was eating 1500 calories a day and not eating back exercise calories. She opened her diary and it showed that she was logging 900 calorie burns, eating those calories and was over her calorie goal 6 out of 14 days I looked at. 1 day was not logged. That's an extreme example but there is a lot of useful information in diaries sometimes. If someone is logging food but no drinks whatsoever, I would question what they were drinking, maybe they drink only water like I do (I like water) or maybe not. I also look at portion sizes and what entries they are selecting. We all know there are a lot of inaccurate entries on the database.

*i am not saying the Op isn't logging correctly but for me, step one is logging properly and consistently. Especially since she has run the numbers already.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    We're all the same, we all lose fat on a calorie deficit. You can't defy the law of thermodynamics.

But what's a deficit for one person may not be for another. That's where you law-makers get it wrong.
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I read your post, I don't know what to say about it really. You said a lot of different things, I can't address everything.

If you want advice that works, listen to people who have a reputable reputation. There are many people who like to give advice because they can. It's kind of a good thing people want to be helpful, but on the other hand it can be bad advice.

You said you gained 10lbs but look the same... How is that possible? Think of that. Your body did change under neither the fat. You're probably being impatient.

When I was doing a very intensive weight lifting program, i gained 9lbs, but i looked 15lbs lighter. You might be measuring in the wrong place. LIke for me, I would always measure my stomach, but guess what? That's the last place that fat will go away for me. I lose the fat everywhere else except my stomach till the end. Women usually store it in the hips, the last place for it go down.

Dietary recommendations. Keep in mind, all these are "ESTIMATES" they're not exact, this means you must find what works for you. To find what works for you do this. Eat at TDEE - 20%. For a month, monitor body fat, and weight. If you see positive changes over a month then keep at it. If you don't, low your calories by 10%. Try again for another month. No changes... drop another 10%.

The key is to be patient.

Thank you. To me, this make total sense. I always like your answers. You never tell someone what to do. Thanks again.:flowerforyou:
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    We're all the same, we all lose fat on a calorie deficit. You can't defy the law of thermodynamics.

But what's a deficit for one person may not be for another. That's where you law-makers get it wrong.

Calorie Deficit = Eating under TDEE.

So a calorie deficit is the same for everyone.

QFT! People need to stop looking at what calorie intake worked for one person. OP- find out your TDEE and calculate a deficit.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I understand that being patient is part of the game, but 3 months without any kind of change is just ridiculous.

If you aren't seeing the results you want, you should be mixing it up much sooner than this. If what you are doing isn't working, do something different. Have you tried adjusting your macros? Maybe you aren't getting enough or too much of fat/protein/carbs? Are you nutrient deficient on something like Vitamin B or D or some of the minerals? Maybe you are getting too many vitamins and are mildly toxic?

There are so many variables that you have to basically ask and answer these questions for yourself. What works for me may or may not work for you. I've learned what has worked for me in the past is no longer working for me now.

I stalled out in October 2012. Job stress and sleep deprivation are to blame. My job ends at the end of this month, so I plan on re-grouping and refocusing my energies toward my goals at that time. This week, I'm on "diet" vacation. :laugh:
  • EpitomeOfSxy
    EpitomeOfSxy Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Since your calories are already low-ish/normal I would do what others had suggest and focus on where your calories are coming from. Eating clean at 1,600 calories is far different then eating mainly carbs or sugar at this intake level.

I lost 7 lbs and broke through my plateau of several months by keeping my calories the same but playing with my fat, protein and carb ratios.

I was bed ridden, with an injured back, eating pure junk food, lost 10lbs that month

Have you read the twinkie diet?
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

Good for you then, my body doesn't respond like that. I wish it did. Plus I am not all about the "skinny fat" or ultra thin look, I like to sustain muscle mass :) Although I am envious you lost weight while eating rubbish. I have never been that lucky and that is why I am trying to lose weight, I suppose. Is my body broken and I can send it back for a refund and get yours that is willing to lose weight while eating junk food?