Protein Powder without artificial sweetner

Options
13»

Replies

• Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I use Jay Robb which has Stevia. It's also about $150 less a month than Shakeology. :laugh:
    Another Jay Robb user here.

Jay Robb for me too. I tried other brands and go back to Jay Robb. It tastes decent, mixes well by just stirring, and I like the ingredients. I get it from vitacost when they have 15% off sales.
  • mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I also vote for Jay Robb, although only the vanilla. Can't stand the chocolate.. blecchh :) Its a little more expensive but with protein powder you get what you pay for.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I also vote for Jay Robb, although only the vanilla. Can't stand the chocolate.. blecchh :) Its a little more expensive but with protein powder you get what you pay for.

The chocolate tastes soooo good with half a teaspoon of instant coffee tossed into the mix. I LOVE it with a drop of almond extract, a small spoon of instant coffee, a cup of milk and a handful of ice.. then I blend it in my little nutribullet and I feel like I'm having one of those frozen cooladas from Dunkin' Donuts. Also the strawberry is very good too!
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Boku you is what i use and love it they also have a great super-food that i add to my daily diet
    the Protein powder has
    25G protein in it for 3 Tbsp
    1g sugar and it natural and Organic
    full spectrum of Amino Acids
    Wheat Gluten soy and dairy free
    no GMO
    Super digestive Enzymes
    And they will deliver it right to your door i am on an Auto ship so you get it cheaper
    http://shop.bokusuperfood.com/Bku-Super-Protein-25oz/productinfo/PR25/
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, what GMOs would they use in a protein powder?

I believe it has something to do with the soil that the cows eat I"m not super big on the "GMO's" bandwagon though

If it uses non organic soy or corn (dextrose, fructose, dextrin, etc) then it is GMO. If it lists sugar as an ingredient and not "pure sugar" or "organic sugar" then it is made from GM sugar beets.

As far as the cows go....If they eat GM corn...then the milk (whey) and meat are from GM sources.

Organic milk (whey) comes from cows raised on organic (non-gmo) feed or grass.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

I believe it has something to do with the soil that the cows eat I"m not super big on the "GMO's" bandwagon though

If it uses non organic soy or corn (dextrose, fructose, dextrin, etc) then it is GMO. If it lists sugar as an ingredient and not "pure sugar" or "organic sugar" then it is made from GM sugar beets.

Soy, corn, and sugar are not commonly added to whey powder..
  • MstngSammy
    Options

Soy, corn, and sugar are not commonly added to whey powder..

Not added to whey powder....soy protein isolate....soy lecithin...maltodextrin (corn)...dextrose (corn) ....etc....are used with whey in most protein powders.

The whey source is considered GMO as well if the cow it comes from eats a GMO diet (ie..corn).

Most are sweetened in one form or another. Fructose usually comes from corn....sucrose from sugar beets.

You cut off most of what I wrote in your "quote". :smile:

http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2012/12/13/food-babe-investigates-protein-shakes/
  • MstngSammy
    Options
    I'm new to this -- as in, I tried my first protein powder last week. Jay Robb uses Stevia, which is a natural sweetener. It's OK, but very expensive compared to others! I was able to drink it with almond milk, but not with water. It's not the one for me.

Today I tried Solgar Whey to Go because they sell it at my local grocery store. It's made with beet sugar. I mixed it with chocolate almond milk and it was actually GOOD! I need to try it with unsweetened almond milk to give it a full test, though.

Beet sugar is GMO. It is the same sugar that you buy at the grocery store. (If it doesn't say pure cane sugar...it's gmo beet sugar)
  • MstngSammy
    Options
    Shakeology. Nothing artificial in it.

SHAKEOLOGY IS AWESOME!!! Gives you SUPER energy without caffeine! Just wish I can afford it since becoming a stay-at-home mom...not to mention some of the formulas contain gmos:frown:
  • skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I buy mine at the local Sprouts. Protein isolate without any other ingredients. $12.99/lb. Then I mix it with fresh fruit, oatmeal and sometimes some all natural peanut butter.
  • Aleta7
    Aleta7 Posts: 92
    Options
    There is one called "Vega" comes in vanilla and chocolate...use with Silk Almond milk...Got this from a full vegan.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I buy mine at the local Sprouts. Protein isolate without any other ingredients. $12.99/lb. Then I mix it with fresh fruit, oatmeal and sometimes some all natural peanut butter.

does it come in bulk or something? I may have to swing in there next weekend when we're in the area of our "local" Sprouts. I have been wanting to find a good no-flavor protein powder for some time. but I don't have the money to waste on tub after tub of not-so-good ones in a search to find it, either.
  • skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    Options

does it come in bulk or something? I may have to swing in there next weekend when we're in the area of our "local" Sprouts. I have been wanting to find a good no-flavor protein powder for some time. but I don't have the money to waste on tub after tub of not-so-good ones in a search to find it, either.

Yes, it is in the bulk section. So you can get a scoop or two if you want to try it without wasting money. It doesn't have a flavor since there aren't any sweeteners. So you will have to add some fresh fruit, ice and water in the blender.
  • Elliemisaurus
    Elliemisaurus Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Sun Warrior, Vega, and Garden of Life are all great plant-based protein powders. They're also sweetened with stevia.
  • Sunny____
    Sunny____ Posts: 214
    Options
    Hi,
    I've been researching into which protein powder to purchase and everyone I've come across so far has artificial sweetners. Can anyone recommend one without artificial sweetners.

Also ladies what nutritional supplements are you using.

Thanks

xxx
    Jay Robb's is the only one I know of that is 100% free of artificial or added sugar.
  • Sunny____
    Sunny____ Posts: 214
    Options
    Shakeology is probably your best bet. It is sweetened with Stevia (which isn't SUGAR, but it's from a plant instead of being artificially made).
    Stevia is not bad for you AT all. It is fine and a perfectly good choice for sweetners.
  • veronicamiranda3781
    veronicamiranda3781 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am young but that doesn't mean tht I haven't researched the information when it comes to shakeology. I was lookin into becoming a team bech body coach until I read the AMOUNTS of "superfoods" that are in one serving of this shake. The amounts are too low to make a difference in the body. The person taking it is NOT taking a serving of chia seeds and all the other things that are claimed to be in this product. I didn't say anything to hurt your feelings and by all means if you like something then have at it but there are gmos and refined sugars in shakeology. As well as many other products out there. Some don't care about that but I do that's why I put it out there. & on ingredient lists chances are it doesn't say "genetically modified" it will say things like maltodextrin. Those are gmos and chemicals that are horrible for your body. Everyone should aim for organic natural products & steer away from those that contain gmos which is many things. Even certain milk. sucralose, aspartame, and other ARTIFICIAL sweeteners additive shave been linked to many chronic diseases as well as cancer. Do your research, you do know its possible for the FDA to approve of products and then take it off the market cus they didn't do enough research right? For example, somehig as simple as Kraft macaroni & cheese has unnecessary dyes, yellow 5 & yellow 6 which do not add flavor or anything useful to the product yet they still keep it in there knowing it is harmful for your children that consume it. In other countries where those dyes are banned Kraft took them out. Why is this? Why all the preservatives? Think a out anything you eat like this, if it wasnt Around 1000 years ago then don't eat it! How good can protein shakes be when the have a shelf life of years but they supposedly have all these veggies that are good for you!? Best of luck to all of you in your fitness journey. I will continue to learn new things about new foods but Veggies and fruits haven't changed!