I'm hungry ALL of the time. I need filling suggestions!

Options

Replies

• ScottishMrs
    ScottishMrs Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Saw your reply post about being able to eat salsa. I personally love eggs and salsa! Very protein rich and filling.

Eggs and salsa together? How do you cook the eggs for that? It sounds intriguing.
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I was never a rice eater, but this week I decided to try a grilled chicken breast with brown rice and WOW!!! I put a cup on my plate with roasted cauliflower and felt so full I couldn't finish all of the rice. I didn't want another thing to eat the whole evening. That was a first! I took the leftovers to work for lunch the next 3 days and added chicken or ham and it was amazing how satisfied I was all afternoon. I tried homemade oatmeal today and added a little brown sugar and lots of cinnamon. Same result!
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I didn't get a chance to see your diary. I'm sorry you felt you needed to make it private again. There does seem to be a lot of tough love on this site. :)

Can you eat beans? They are very filling, nutrient dense, high protein, and relatively low-cal.

Something I make a lot that is very filling for fewer calories that might work for you are blended soups. Take aromatic veggies (onion, leek, celery, garlic, ginger) and mushrooms and sautee them until soft. Add starchy veggies (winter squash, sweet or regular potatoes) and/or root veggies (beets, carrots, turnips, parsnips etc) plus as many servings of lentils or beans as you expect to have of soup. Cover with broth and simmer until it's beyond mushy. Then just put it all in a blender!

These soups are the basis of my lunches and I love them.
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Glad I could help. :) I usually just scramble the eggs first, then put salsa on it. If I feel really fancy, I put a dollop low fat sour cream on the side. Heavenly. With two eggs, a modest amount of salsa and sour cream, the whole meal comes out to about 200 cal.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary as you have it closed now. I suggest upping protein and fibre as much as you can. If you can eat veg "cooked to mush" then it's so easy to make soups, stews and pasta sauces.
  • essaryswife73
    essaryswife73 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I had never heard of someone allergic to all raw fruits and veggies, so I looked it up. Very interesting. It's one of few "true" allergies. You should be able to eat the fruits and veggies if they are even slightly cooked, to where they are a little bit soft. Frozen should be fine too. Good luck. And thanks for teaching me something new today!
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    If heat breaks down the enzymes you're allergic to in fresh vegetables, try pan-frying spinach. I generally do a cup or two with some diced onions, garlic, and 1 tbsp sesame seed oil at most (usually more like 2 tsp). You'll need a lot less oil this way than on a salad, which will mean you'll have more calories for foods that feel filling.
  • ScottishMrs
    Options
    I didn't get a chance to see your diary. I'm sorry you felt you needed to make it private again. There does seem to be a lot of tough love on this site. :)

Can you eat beans? They are very filling, nutrient dense, high protein, and relatively low-cal.

Something I make a lot that is very filling for fewer calories that might work for you are blended soups. Take aromatic veggies (onion, leek, celery, garlic, ginger) and mushrooms and sautee them until soft. Add starchy veggies (winter squash, sweet or regular potatoes) and/or root veggies (beets, carrots, turnips, parsnips etc) plus as many servings of lentils or beans as you expect to have of soup. Cover with broth and simmer until it's beyond mushy. Then just put it all in a blender!

These soups are the basis of my lunches and I love them.

Mmmmm, I'll have to give it a try. Thank you. :)
    Glad I could help. :) I usually just scramble the eggs first, then put salsa on it. If I feel really fancy, I put a dollop low fat sour cream on the side. Heavenly. With two eggs, a modest amount of salsa and sour cream, the whole meal comes out to about 200 cal.

That sounds really good and I've been missing salsa since I cut out corn chips. I am so looking forward to trying this! Thank you!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest increasing your goal. Even a couple hundred extra calories will help. Make sure you're getting more than the recommended amount of protein and fat. MFP's recommendations for those are minimums and they can help with satiety.
  • essaryswife73
    Options

This is one of my fave breakfasts or dinners. You can put the scrambled eggs on a whole grain tortilla, add a little low fat cheese, and you can use egg substitute like Egg Beaters too. Have you tried the microwaveable steamed veggies? They usually wind up pretty soft, and they're still really good for you too.
  • ScottishMrs
    Options
    I had never heard of someone allergic to all raw fruits and veggies, so I looked it up. Very interesting. It's one of few "true" allergies. You should be able to eat the fruits and veggies if they are even slightly cooked, to where they are a little bit soft. Frozen should be fine too. Good luck. And thanks for teaching me something new today!

Thank you so much for taking the time to look it up and learn about it :) most people in real life choose to scoff and say that I just don't like them rather than educating themselves on it. (Seriously, who in their right mind would choose to not eat fruits? The vegetables maybe, but fruits?) The allergist did tell me that slightly cooked should be alright, but it's not enough for me. I did discover though that acids like vinegar and lemon neutralize the enzymes too.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    To be fair, there is a suspiciously high number of people on here asking for diet advice who claim extensive fruit and vegetable allergies. I've seen 3 in the last 2 days, and I've never met someone IRL who had that problem.
  • ScottishMrs
    Options
    I can't see your diary as you have it closed now. I suggest upping protein and fibre as much as you can. If you can eat veg "cooked to mush" then it's so easy to make soups, stews and pasta sauces.

This is great. I didn't know that stews were low cal enough for weightloss. Thanks. I'll have to look for some stewing meat next time I do groceries.
    If heat breaks down the enzymes you're allergic to in fresh vegetables, try pan-frying spinach. I generally do a cup or two with some diced onions, garlic, and 1 tbsp sesame seed oil at most (usually more like 2 tsp). You'll need a lot less oil this way than on a salad, which will mean you'll have more calories for foods that feel filling.

I've never heard of pan fried spinach. I'll give it a try. Thanks!
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest increasing your goal. Even a couple hundred extra calories will help. Make sure you're getting more than the recommended amount of protein and fat. MFP's recommendations for those are minimums and they can help with satiety.

I 2nd this. Eat more. Obviously only you really know what foods you can tolerate.

Definitely scrambled eggs with salsa and cheese too (do you eat cheese?)
  • Prephred
    Prephred Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have been using Premier Nutrition - High Protein Vanilla Shakes (they have chocolate too). They have 30 grams of protein for 160 cals, only 1 carb. They help me stay full when I get hungry between eating meals. I get them at Sam's Club. Might be an option. I use it when I am on the go.
  • essaryswife73
    Options

Thank you so much for taking the time to look it up and learn about it :) most people in real life choose to scoff and say that I just don't like them rather than educating themselves on it. (Seriously, who in their right mind would choose to not eat fruits? The vegetables maybe, but fruits?) The allergist did tell me that slightly cooked should be alright, but it's not enough for me. I did discover though that acids like vinegar and lemon neutralize the enzymes too.

I am always looking to learn new things. I think people should always be trying to learn new things!! And I don't know why anyone would not want to eat fruits!!! And if you can stomach the vinegar, more power to you, lol! Lemon juice is really good squeezed on to steamed broccoli and cauliflower, and spinach. And it's also good on some of the sweeter fruits too.
  • ScottishMrs
    Options
    To be fair, there is a suspiciously high number of people on here asking for diary advice who claim fruit and vegetable allergies. I've seen 3 in the last 2 days, and I've never met someone IRL who had that problem.

Fruit and vegetable allergies are actually the most common food allergies, but most people are only allergic to one or two and not all of them like I am. It's tied in to pollen allergies and I'm allergic to all plants. Watermelon could actually kill me if I even smell it. I know several people with one or two fruit allergies IRL and none with vegetable allergies.
  • essaryswife73
    Options
    To be fair, there is a suspiciously high number of people on here asking for diet advice who claim extensive fruit and vegetable allergies. I've seen 3 in the last 2 days, and I've never met someone IRL who had that problem.

Really? I had never heard of it at all until today, and you've seen 3 different ones? That's weird. I Googled it and found some really interesting stuff out. I bet I start seeing more of it. That's how it usually happens, you never hear of something, and then Bam! it's everywhere, lol. I have a friend who's children have bad allergies; I'm going to ask if she's had them checked for this.

OP, thanks again for bringing me something new to learn about!!!!
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of pan fried spinach. I'll give it a try. Thanks!

One thing you should know before cooking spinach is that it cooks down dramatically. Six cups of spinach will cook down to one, because of all the water in it. So be generous when you're measuring it out, because you'll almost certainly end up with less than you're expecting.

I had an acquaintance who had an allergy to raw fruit (not sure about veg), so she would microwave her juice and then let it cool down before drinking it. Not sure if that'll make enough of a difference for you, but it might be worth trying.
  • ScottishMrs
    Options

I 2nd this. Eat more. Obviously only you really know what foods you can tolerate.

Definitely scrambled eggs with salsa and cheese too (do you eat cheese?)

I think I will be increasing my calorie goal. Do you think that 1500 is enough or should I go as high as 1800? I tend to overdo the cheese, so until I get a little better at controlling myself I've mostly cut it out of my diet. Once I get a food scale I'll reintroduce it and I'll definitely try putting it with the eggs and salsa. :)