I never understood why ppl go for "lean protein"

Options
furenaef
furenaef Posts: 157 Member
lets be real, if you eat a porterhouse everyday, with a TON of fat, and you are still eating under the calories, you are good,

i always see ppl saying "im bored of chiecken or board of x,y,z"

yeah im a have an angus burger with bacon on the side, while you have your healthy "lean protein, that is low fat"

inb4 you disagree with this logical argument.

Replies

• Moosycakes
    Moosycakes Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I just don't like the taste or texure of fat :) It doesn't agree with me.
    I feel horribly sick if I eat cream!

I just like lean better :)
  • Wickedbookworm1977
    Options
    Cholesterol
    Fat
    Texture of fat

Just a few of the reasons I don't eat fatty meats. I focus on lean protein, which includes chicken, fish, and lean beef (occasionally), low fat cheese and nuts. I'm actually trying to wean myself off of meat and go vegetarian.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian but I agree. I'm trying to help my little brother bulk so I feed him ham bacon and cheese sandwiches all the time. Fat is important for testosterone production and he's natty so he needs it.
  • SJackson50
    SJackson50 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Love my Ribeye!
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    I pick lean protein because I can have MORE OF IT. That is all, I would rather have a Porterhouse over a round steak but if you can eat twice the amount you go with that. Good question though.
  • sassafrascas
    sassafrascas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I think you may bee good weight/loosing weight wise but for heart health, I don't think eating a ton of red meat is good for you. Skinny people die of heart attacks too.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/mar/13/health/la-he-red-meat-20120313
  • Jerodhold
    Jerodhold Posts: 87
    Options
    I just don't understand why people are afraid of fat, fat is good for you, your body needs fat to function properly. Just because it's called fat doesn't mean it's going to make you fat, I eat about 90-120 grams of fat a day and I'm far from fat haha
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Cause macros that's why.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Cholesterol.
  • PandaBandit19
    Options
    I'm actually tired of red meat all the time.. I love chicken but I don't usually eat it because of prices/ hubby really loves beef. Meh, I can deal with it whiel throwing in some chicken. Fish, whole different story.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I never liked the texture of fat. Nothing grossed me out more than finding a big hunk of fat in my meat. Probably a big part of why I'm vegetarian now, won't have to worry about that.

I love fat, but healthy fat. Give me an avocado any day.
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    There's a big difference between cutting out red meat and not going for 80/20 ground or a 20 ounce ribeye. I personally go on regular lean red meat binges so my iron is high enough to donate platelets, and that's on top of supplements, spinach, and oregano. I also bump my protein up with low-carb shakes almost every day.

Final answer: cholesterol. It used to be so far into the red that it was turning purple. Now it's not. Replacing high-fat meats with leaner proteins wasn't the only change, but it's the one that fits this topic.
  • stargazer008
    Options
    Cholesterol.

Cholesterol from animal does not affect your cholesterol as much as you think it does. Your body produces way more cholesterol than you probably consume.
  • JanSmelly
    JanSmelly Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Sometimes a fattier choice of meat doesn't agree with me.
  • rosered93
    rosered93 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Carryover from the decades of the Government emphasizing that cholesterol and red meat kill you--rather than moderation being the takeaway message, "avoid at all costs" seems to be. (Although I believe that grass-fed beef is nutritionally superior.) Likewise a carryover of "fat makes you fat". That dietary fat does not inherently equate to body fat is somehow still not common knowledge.

The barrage of "lean proteins!" from the diet industry. It's become engrained in the diet/"healthy eating" messages we receive from the media.

It's likely also influenced by the fact that people are counting calories. It's easier to estimate the calories of something with no fat, than with something with varying amounts of fat. It's one of those ways of thinking that unfortunately often comes with counting calories. People may prefer to add their own fat to the meal so as to consume a more reliably quantifiable number.
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    I cook with the fat on the meat and then take it off at the table and give it to my old man. For me it's the texture, ugh. I do make sure I have plenty of fat in my diet though, just not meat fat. As yummy as it is I wish it had better texture.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    I dont typically give the lean protein suggestion...while i do eat lean protein the majority of the time, ill also sit down with a huge ribeye and completely enjoy it. Fat and all. I love the texture of fat for some odd reason >.>
  • PDXContessa
    PDXContessa Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Cholesterol.

Cholesterol from animal does not affect your cholesterol as much as you think it does. Your body produces way more cholesterol than you probably consume.

My cholesterol is 304. It's partly a genetic issue with me, so I need to do all I can to get/keep it under control. Heart disease runs in my family, so it seems sensible to do what I can to lower my risk. (And...it's not that my family is "just overweight" my mother started high blood pressure medication when she was 24 due to extremely high BP and she was 5'4" 124 pounds at the time.)
  • emmymcq
    emmymcq Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't care where my protein comes from or if its laden in fat. I love steak, and not just the lean cuts. I love a big juicy cheeseburger w. bacon. I still manage to lose weight consistently and haven't stalled out yet.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I eat a billion eggs and whatever kind of meat I want. Sometimes it's sausages and bacon.