I never understood why ppl go for "lean protein"

Options

Replies

• Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Lean protein isn't too bad. Gives you more calorie room to fit in other things, like guacamole, cottage cheese, salsa, mozerella and the bacon you fried it in-

-yep I'm having nachos tonight. Freaking sold.
  • shaywallis
    shaywallis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I love fat, always have. When I was a kid my mom use to cut off the fat on the steaks after cooking them and set it aside for me because it was my favorite part. These days I eat all sorts of protein, lean or not. Steaks, burgers with cheese and bacon, chicken, fish, etc.
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I don't really know if I 'go for lean' Because you can get lean red meat, but I do limit my red meat, because too much of it is bad for you.
    And causes colon problems, that may run in my family. So I'd rather not go there c:
  • fran_iam
    fran_iam Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    this is similar to not eating fruit because its high in calories then stuffing your diary with bread & icecream but no fruit. WHAT?!
  • Steph_in_FL
    Options
    Last time I had my cholesterol checked, it was high, so I try not to eat anything with cholesterol except a little butter. If I eat steak or roast, I eat round cuts because it's much leaner. I'm not going to sacrifice my health for taste.
  • Shadowknight137
    Options
    this is similar to not eating fruit because its high in calories then stuffing your diary with bread & icecream but no fruit. WHAT?!

...agreed.

What...?
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I don't like the taste of fat.

Lean proteins are more satiating to me and help me consume less calories since the same size "fatty" burger has more calories than the lean one.

I suppose if I was allotted more than 1500-2000 calories a day then I wouldn't mind so much. But making your proteins lean means you can consume more of other things because you are saving overall calories while in a deficit. I do try to hit a min. amount of fats and proteins anyway, and I don't care if I go over. I just like the idea of eating a larger volume of food throughout the day.

:flowerforyou:
  • cedman1
    cedman1 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    familial genetics or I could do some real damage.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    As much as I love bacon, steak, etc., I can't stand the texture of fat, in the form of meat fat, in my mouth. Yuck. That is one reason why I choose leaner meats. Also, after attending the autopsy of a person who died from cardiovascular disease, I had to cut into the arteries and the plaque that had built up felt and even sounded like plastic as I cut through it. No thanks. Moderation for me.
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Bring on the BACON!!!
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Being a primal/paleo eater I can completely understand!

Lean = stupid! the only reason fats don't work is that folks want to love their processed carbos!

I laugh out LOUD when folks claim the "high cholesterol" - aka - soooooo uninformed ....

YOU just keep eating the good stuff MR.!!

^^ THIS
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

Lean = stupid! the only reason fats don't work is that folks want to love their processed carbos!

Wow, how insulting.

If you'd read everyone's personal explanations, then you might see how this statement you made is completely FALSE.
  • stephaniecaine82
    stephaniecaine82 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I eat RED meat! And freaking enjoy it! Chicken is used WAY to often and people really underestimate Red meat......dumb
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Because red meat gives me either constipation or diarrhea. Chicken and fish does not.
  • Shadowknight137
    Options
    Because red meat gives me either constipation or diarrhea. Chicken and fish does not.

Do chicken legs with the skin on on and salmon fillets give you the same, uh, issues?
  • Ltmsenergy
    Options
    I love all high fats and proteins! lol I eat 85 to 90 percent lean beef most of the time, and chicken thighs instead of breasts. I do eat low carb though. I find when I eat high purine proteins that are cooked in good fats like coconut, olive, sesame or avocado oils, I do not at all crave carbs and I am not hungry.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    Options

Do chicken legs with the skin on on and salmon fillets give you the same, uh, issues?
    I only eat skinless chicken, and don't eat salmon too often (tilapia and swai, mostly).
  • PDXContessa
    PDXContessa Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Being a primal/paleo eater I can completely understand!

I laugh out LOUD when folks claim the "high cholesterol" - aka - soooooo uninformed ....

YOU just keep eating the good stuff MR.!!

People like you are the reason I avoid these message boards. I should have known to stay away, but I decided to pop in just one more time. My mistake.
  • Shadowknight137
    Options

I only eat skinless chicken, and don't eat salmon too often (tilapia and swai, mostly).

Didn't exactly answer my question, at all really, but cheers anyway.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    Options
    ... I don't eat chicken legs. Or chicken with the skin, and salmon doesn't give me these "issues" when I eat it (that I am aware of, since I don't eat it often).

Answered.