I'm hungry ALL of the time. I need filling suggestions!

Options

Replies

• holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    To be fair, there is a suspiciously high number of people on here asking for diary advice who claim fruit and vegetable allergies. I've seen 3 in the last 2 days, and I've never met someone IRL who had that problem.

Fruit and vegetable allergies are actually the most common food allergies, but most people are only allergic to one or two and not all of them like I am. It's tied in to pollen allergies and I'm allergic to all plants. Watermelon could actually kill me if I even smell it. I know several people with one or two fruit allergies IRL and none with vegetable allergies.

I edited my post to be more clear. I've met people with specific allergies. My mother in law is allergic to raw tomatoes, and I have a friend who is allergic to kiwi and banana, but they'd never say "I'm allergic to fruit." They'd say, "I'm allergic to [specific fruit]." You know!

It's absolutely not okay to automatically assume someone just doesn't like veggies when they say they're allergic, I was just letting you know that there is a reason people here were suspicious.

<3
  • KaraAlste
    KaraAlste Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    There was an article on this yesterday. About TDEE..
    So I will translate it my way. It is completely Hypothetical.

Jane is your twin sister.
    She goes into a coma.
    The doctor has to tube feed her ensure.
    He looks at her stats (they are the same as yours)
    He guesses around 2200 calories because he's a kind doctor and wants to care for her.
    She wakes up out of the coma six months later.
    When they take her vitals and everything they are good.
    she put on a half a pound, nothing much, maybe water weight.

So, you my friend are truly living and probably do extraordinart things throughout the day. I think you should really look into finding that #. I know it's helped me a lot. GL.

:flowerforyou:
  • ScottishMrs
    ScottishMrs Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of pan fried spinach. I'll give it a try. Thanks!

One thing you should know before cooking spinach is that it cooks down dramatically. Six cups of spinach will cook down to one, because of all the water in it. So be generous when you're measuring it out, because you'll almost certainly end up with less than you're expecting.

I had an acquaintance who had an allergy to raw fruit (not sure about veg), so she would microwave her juice and then let it cool down before drinking it. Not sure if that'll make enough of a difference for you, but it might be worth trying.

Thanks for the tip. I would have been in for quite the surprise when I cooked the 2 cups of spinach I have left. Haha! ;)
  • SavannahMarett
    SavannahMarett Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Do you exercise at all? If so, I'd go up to 1800 as long as they are healthy choices and not junk. :)
  • holothuroidea
    Options
    I just thought of something else. Can you eat southern-style greens? (Southern-style just means waaaay over cooked. :P )

If you take a pound of kale or collard greens and boil them for a long time, then drain and squeeze out the excess water you can make a great little steak out of them. I eat them with seasame seeds but they're good with just salt, too. Or lemon juice and olive oil. Very filling and lots of iron, calcium, vit K and vit C.
  • kaliyat
    kaliyat Posts: 4
    Options
    Pick foods that are high in fiber because it keeps you full longer. Choose really high fiber breads, grains, beans, etc. Cooked veggies help a lot too. I often do protein supplements that have a lot of fiber in them to help curb cravings when I'm working out.
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

Read this. It will help you calculate how much food you need. Also, if you have trouble with the numbers, Dan is really nice and will help you. :-)
  • ScottishMrs
    Options
    I'd suggest increasing your goal. Even a couple hundred extra calories will help. Make sure you're getting more than the recommended amount of protein and fat. MFP's recommendations for those are minimums and they can help with satiety.

That's good to know. I thought that they were maximums, not minimums. I often go over the fat one because I like to use EVOO in my recipes but I'm rarely close to the protein one. Luckily there's a kind person out there who messaged me a list of protein-rich foods :). I think I'll also go up to 1800 calories/day.
    There was an article on this yesterday. About TDEE..
    So I will translate it my way. It is completely Hypothetical.

Jane is your twin sister.
    She goes into a coma.
    The doctor has to tube feed her ensure.
    He looks at her stats (they are the same as yours)
    He guesses around 2200 calories because he's a kind doctor and wants to care for her.
    She wakes up out of the coma six months later.
    When they take her vitals and everything they are good.
    she put on a half a pound, nothing much, maybe water weight.

So, you my friend are truly living and probably do extraordinart things throughout the day. I think you should really look into finding that #. I know it's helped me a lot. GL.

:flowerforyou:

That's so neat. Thank you for helping me put it into perspective with a good analogy.
    Do you exercise at all? If so, I'd go up to 1800 as long as they are healthy choices and not junk. :)

I'm trying to exercise EOD but I only burn around 180.
    I just thought of something else. Can you eat southern-style greens? (Southern-style just means waaaay over cooked. :P )

If you take a pound of kale or collard greens and boil them for a long time, then drain and squeeze out the excess water you can make a great little steak out of them. I eat them with seasame seeds but they're good with just salt, too. Or lemon juice and olive oil. Very filling and lots of iron, calcium, vit K and vit C.

It sounds like I should be able to eat it; I've never heard of it before. Do you fry this 'steak' up in a pan after you form it?
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

Read this. It will help you calculate how much food you need. Also, if you have trouble with the numbers, Dan is really nice and will help you. :-)

I'll check it out. Thanks :)
  • MtMcConnel
    MtMcConnel Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I would agree with some of the previous suggestions to eat food that is higher in fiber as well as protein - both of these help me to stay full. I eat a lot of eggs and oatmeal (for any meal). Oatmeal is much tastier if you put cooked fruit in it, so that might work well for your allergies. I eat eggs in lots of different ways, but a quick snack with protein is just a hard boiled egg sprinkled with some of seasoning you like. These are easy to make in advance and take to work. Another filling meal I like that might work for you is lentil or quinoa salads with a vinegar or lemon based dressing. I typically put raw veggies in, but I think they would be just as tasty with some roasted veggies. There are tons of variations on recipes out there - just search your favorite site until you find a combo that looks tasty.

You mentioned you like salsa. I love it too and didn't want to give it up, but can't trust myself with a bag of corn chips. Although this isn't high protein or fiber, a snack that I really like when I crave salsa is to toast a pita bread until its really crispy and then I dip that in a ton of salsa.

Good luck!
  • whytewytch
    Options
    It's a shame you had to make your diary private again. I've never heard of anyone allergic to all fruits & veggies--{{HUGS}}. It must be very frustrating for you. I second a lot of what others have said.

1. Make sure you have your base calorie goal correct, then get your calories as close to that number as possible. Going over slightly now & again is not bad. If you're only taking in 1200 calories a day, every day, your body will go into starvation mode and hold onto all the fat it can. There are some days now that I have a hard time getting UP to 1200 & am full; others, I eat close to 1500 or more. I like to keep my metabolism guessing. :laugh:

2. Add some exercise if you can--walking, swimming, yoga, playing a sport you enjoy. Exercise will allow you to take in more calories, yet still lose weight. Vary your exercise to make sure you don't use the same muscles every day--they need to rest a day in between. I do the treadmill one day, calisthenics the next, treadmill, calisthenics, etc.

3. Protein, brown rice, beans, whole wheat pasta with homemade marinara sauce (fresh tomatoes, peppers, onion, garlic, basil, all heated in a pan or crock pot for at least an hour, until mushy :wink: )--all good fillers. Cheese is a good filler; if you love it, allow yourself some, but limit it a bit.

Lastly, I would eat those mushy vegetables & fruits if they won't have an adverse affect on you. Winter squash rocks, as do mushy carrots, & applesauce with a bit of cinnamon sugar is AWESOME, as well as being low calorie and low sodium!

Best of luck to you! :happy:
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Hi mrs scottish ... I can't see your diary as you closed it ... however from reading the comments i see you are eating at around 1200? .... when i started MFP i was eating 1200 (and happy with those cals as I was very much sedentary lifestyle) however .. I am now "lightly active" and consume between 1600 and 1700 a day ... so maybe your answer is upping cals ... it very much depends on your lifestyle how high you up them so do it slowly maybe about 100 added a week till you get to your goal .... i upped mine about 9 weeks ago (i have blogged about my upped cals) good luck whatever you decide :)
  • t7mitch
    t7mitch Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I agree with you that some of the people on this page and even on this site are waaaaaaaay waaaaaaay too critical and judgmental. It blows my mind how folks, who themselves, have been heavy and lose a little weight and then think they are some kind of expert. I get so sick of seeing people judge and overly crticize (in the name of helpful tips) on My Fitness Pal.
    Now, here's what I I find has helped me feel fuller are nuts, low fat popcorn, string cheese.... make sure you snack throughout the day. Plus, here's something else that has made the difference for me: I don't stress eating "perfectly." If I want a slice of pizza, then I'll eat it. I just try to stay within my caloric intake, which for anybody who is reading this is 1200, but I also exercise A LOT, so I'm actually eating about 1,600 to 1,700. But that's what works for ME... it may not work for you or these so-called fitness/heath gurus who have something to say about anyone who doesn't eat the way they do... I say brush them off and find something that works for you.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    What healthy foods are good for making you full?

(i didn't read all the replies so if someone said this already i apologize)

here's another perspective...

why do you have to feel "full"? You don't have to have a full belly to have gotten enough calories and nutrients from your food. If you are actually hungry, as in not having enough energy to get comfortably through your day that is different, then by all means eat! but if you are looking to feel "full" then that's a way of thinking that needs to change.
    Having said that, i love to eat until i am full sometimes, so sometimes I do, but I am aware that that is purely about having a pleasant feeling, not about getting the fuel I need so I save it for special occasions. i have learned to really appreciate the feeling of NOT being full... to me that means I am not eating more than I need and that is a kind of satisfaction all its own.
  • holothuroidea
    Options
    It sounds like I should be able to eat it; I've never heard of it before. Do you fry this 'steak' up in a pan after you form it?

Nope. Just eat them up!

I've also been known to form them into balls and use them in place of meatballs, but I am kind of crazy.

In the south they are generally boiled in some kind of meat juice or bacon grease and you eat them with the cooking water.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Glad I could help. :) I usually just scramble the eggs first, then put salsa on it. If I feel really fancy, I put a dollop low fat sour cream on the side. Heavenly. With two eggs, a modest amount of salsa and sour cream, the whole meal comes out to about 200 cal.

I do this but use plain Greek yogurt to get more protein and cheese, yum.

I did not get to see your diary.
    Cook veggies with a small amount of olive oil with shrimp or chicken.
    I have problems with my teeth and can not eat raw carrots anymore.
    I cook them then refrigerate. I have also do this with onions and peppers.
    Then you can eat them cold and add tuna or other protein and use less dressing.
    Good Luck:flowerforyou:
  • elle77
    elle77 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Saw your reply post about being able to eat salsa. I personally love eggs and salsa! Very protein rich and filling.

Love eggs & salsa! I make a two egg omlete with lots of cooked mushrooms, spinach, jalapenos, turkey or ham, low fat cheese & salsa on top....soo filling! & its only 350 cals =)

Oatmeal is a filling food too ;)
  • ScottishMrs
    Options
    I would agree with some of the previous suggestions to eat food that is higher in fiber as well as protein - both of these help me to stay full. I eat a lot of eggs and oatmeal (for any meal). Oatmeal is much tastier if you put cooked fruit in it, so that might work well for your allergies. I eat eggs in lots of different ways, but a quick snack with protein is just a hard boiled egg sprinkled with some of seasoning you like. These are easy to make in advance and take to work. Another filling meal I like that might work for you is lentil or quinoa salads with a vinegar or lemon based dressing. I typically put raw veggies in, but I think they would be just as tasty with some roasted veggies. There are tons of variations on recipes out there - just search your favorite site until you find a combo that looks tasty.

You mentioned you like salsa. I love it too and didn't want to give it up, but can't trust myself with a bag of corn chips. Although this isn't high protein or fiber, a snack that I really like when I crave salsa is to toast a pita bread until its really crispy and then I dip that in a ton of salsa.

Good luck!

Thank you for the suggestions. I am going to have a lot of new and better foods to add to my diet because of this :)
    It's a shame you had to make your diary private again. I've never heard of anyone allergic to all fruits & veggies--{{HUGS}}. It must be very frustrating for you. I second a lot of what others have said.

1. Make sure you have your base calorie goal correct, then get your calories as close to that number as possible. Going over slightly now & again is not bad. If you're only taking in 1200 calories a day, every day, your body will go into starvation mode and hold onto all the fat it can. There are some days now that I have a hard time getting UP to 1200 & am full; others, I eat close to 1500 or more. I like to keep my metabolism guessing. :laugh:

2. Add some exercise if you can--walking, swimming, yoga, playing a sport you enjoy. Exercise will allow you to take in more calories, yet still lose weight. Vary your exercise to make sure you don't use the same muscles every day--they need to rest a day in between. I do the treadmill one day, calisthenics the next, treadmill, calisthenics, etc.

3. Protein, brown rice, beans, whole wheat pasta with homemade marinara sauce (fresh tomatoes, peppers, onion, garlic, basil, all heated in a pan or crock pot for at least an hour, until mushy :wink: )--all good fillers. Cheese is a good filler; if you love it, allow yourself some, but limit it a bit.

Lastly, I would eat those mushy vegetables & fruits if they won't have an adverse affect on you. Winter squash rocks, as do mushy carrots, & applesauce with a bit of cinnamon sugar is AWESOME, as well as being low calorie and low sodium!

Best of luck to you! :happy:

Thank you for all of the wonderful tips! I particularly appreciate the lists to go along with the suggestions. :D
    What healthy foods are good for making you full?

(i didn't read all the replies so if someone said this already i apologize)

here's another perspective...

why do you have to feel "full"? You don't have to have a full belly to have gotten enough calories and nutrients from your food. If you are actually hungry, as in not having enough energy to get comfortably through your day that is different, then by all means eat! but if you are looking to feel "full" then that's a way of thinking that needs to change.
    Having said that, i love to eat until i am full sometimes, so sometimes I do, but I am aware that that is purely about having a pleasant feeling, not about getting the fuel I need so I save it for special occasions. i have learned to really appreciate the feeling of NOT being full... to me that means I am not eating more than I need and that is a kind of satisfaction all its own.

I'm not really looking for a stuffed feeling, I just have a horrible gnawing hunger in the pit of my stomach and I want to feel good again. For the first week or 2 I thought it was normal because I had cut my calories, but now it's just too much and I need to make it go away/lessen.

Nope. Just eat them up!

I've also been known to form them into balls and use them in place of meatballs, but I am kind of crazy.

In the south they are generally boiled in some kind of meat juice or bacon grease and you eat them with the cooking water.

Awesome. I'll give it a try and see what happens. Thanks :)
  • mwooderson
    mwooderson Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Apple slices dipped in PB2 is a very filling and great tasting snack.
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    It seems like I'm saying this a lot these days, but I don't mind repeating it, because it was such an important lesson for me:

I started at 1200 and stopped losing weight. I bumped to 1400 and began losing slowly. When I bumped up to 1600, the weight just started falling off. I weighed in this morning and lost another 3 lbs. so I KNOW eating more is definitely working.

So first piece of advice, find out what your TDEE is, and give yourself a 500 calorie deficit from that amount:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Second piece of advice: Protein and whole grains/fiber

For breakfast, I always have an EAS Advantedge lean shake (20 grams of protein), along with some kind of real food...like Quaker Weight Management oatmeal or Nature's Own Oatmal toaster squares. For lunch, along with fruits or veggies, I go for things like Chobani greek yogurt, low fat mozzarella strings, tuna, or peanut butter. For Dinner, I choose from lean proteins like fish, boneless/skinless chicken breats or lean turkey and some kind of side like cottage cheese (and usually veggies).

So, my overall advice for combating hunger (and probably a plateau) would be to eat within a healthy range for your age/weight/height and increase overall protein and whole grain/fiber consumption.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    rolled oats flavored however you like with 2 Tablespoons of ground flax seeds.
    the flax has 4 grams of fiber.
    1 cup of rolled oats has about 8 g of fiber.
    the flax also has B vitamins and full of Omega 3's
    and more.