I never understood why ppl go for "lean protein"

Options

Replies

• Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    ... I don't eat chicken legs. Or chicken with the skin, and salmon doesn't give me these "issues" when I eat it (that I am aware of, since I don't eat it often).

Answered.

Theeeere we go.

My sympathies, sir. These things are delicious.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I prefer the taste of leaner meats. I like a nice filet mignon or a strip steak but I have never much cared for a rib-eye. I have also always liked the taste of white meats over dark meat in chicken or turkey. I love Salmon and Tuna. Do love bacon and pork loin but I don't like ham so there's that.

Basically, I just follow my tastes and it happens that they are leaner meats. I always hit my fat and protein macros and they tend to be lower in calories anyway.

For me, personal preference. NBD.
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I like my ribeyes and prime rib, but I always cut the fat off because just biting into it induces a vomit reflex for me. It's just vile to me. I can't even eat the skin on chicken, it just grosses me out. I love the flavor it gives to meat but just can't eat it. Besides if I eat a chicken leg or chicken thigh or breast with a bone, I have to use a fork to eat it. Just the thought of my teeth hitting the bone grosses me out too, lol.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options

Lean = stupid! the only reason fats don't work is that folks want to love their processed carbos!

tumblr_mbt7oerWxu1rxaypuo1_400.gif
    spongebob-imagination-o.gif

Guess I do not know anything about weight loss. Sorry.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    My protein evens out. I love seafood, and most of it is lean. I love lean buffalo meat. I love fatty, tender pork shoulder and greasy hamburgers. I prefer fat in my chicken, like dark meat, or white meat cooked with the skin on, preferably with the deliciously crispy skin.

Face it. I love meat, lean, marbled, or in between.
  • MiamiKid305
    MiamiKid305 Posts: 357
    Options
    lean protein??? f that im cuban, bring out the pork! chicharones con limon daleeeeee
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I eat primarily lean proteins because my cholesterol points were out of whack. Now granted, this was way before MFP. My bloodwork is well within a healthy range now. Eating WAY too much is what caused the problem, I know this.

Now, it's just sort of what I've grown accustomed to. I still went out and ate a sirloin steak tonight. Fats don't make you fat...or unhealthy. An overabundance of calories do that.

But what I have also noticed, is that lean proteins seem to be lower in calories. A boneless/skinless chicken breast, ounce-for-ounce, is like half the calories of baby back ribs (which I love!) So, it's also because I get to eat more. Although I primarily stick to poultry and fish, every so often I get a hankering for steak....and I never deny myself anything I want. I just work it into my daily calories with lots of planning.
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    My dinner tonight: one entire chicken leg quarter (with skin intact) cooked in the crockpot over seven hours in a homemade brown sugar BBQ sauce. Transferred chicken leg quarters to the oven to crisp the skin over 30 minutes at 300 deg F before serving.

I saved the fat to fry the quinoa, peas and sweet corn.

Leftover fat and sauce has been refrigerated to marinade chicken breasts next week for BBQ chicken wraps.

opo077.jpg
  • Moosycakes
    Moosycakes Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    familial genetics or I could do some real damage.

Same here. I have a family history of gall bladder issues, and I don't process fat very well (I feel very ill).
    I'd rather keep my gall bladder than eat chicken skin, thanks! :)
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Because red meat gives me either constipation or diarrhea. Chicken and fish does not.
    that
    also i hate the taste of fat against my palate..
    ETA , some how, fish fat (mackerel, pomfrate, hilsa ) do agree with me , and i love them!!!cooked in mustered paste and grated coconut.....................ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh day dreaming!!
    you know,eat whatever you love in moderation....and don't bash someone else's taste because it doesn't coincide with you..
  • Cmuchoa
    Cmuchoa Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Let's hope yr carotoid arteries are clear - my husband ate similar and looked the picture of health and then had a massive stroke with a blood clot in his brain and was paralzyed on his entire left side. Has facial droop and drags the leg and is always tired - short term memory loss and cognitive brain damage - go ahead and enjoy those fats cuz one day your entire life can change in seconds.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    personal preference.
    Or are we not allowed to have a difference of taste buds here?

(though, I have never claimed to be bored of poultry. If I was, I'd move on to something else.)
  • Sharkington
    Sharkington Posts: 485
    Options
    Some people actually really enjoy the taste of chicken and fish and know how to make a variety of dishes with those meats. Turkey, on the other hand....ehhhhhhhhhhhh.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Some people actually really enjoy the taste of chicken and fish and know how to make a variety of dishes with those meats. Turkey, on the other hand....ehhhhhhhhhhhh.

I actually love ground turkey. I made it into spagetti one time because the store was out of the ground beef I normally get, and I've been using the turkey ever since because I thought it tasted really good.
  • michelleokelly5
    michelleokelly5 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Why do you care what kind of meat people choose to eat? If you love eating fat, then EAT IT!!!! If Joe Blow loves eating Chicken, then he should eat that!!! For the sake of everybody on here trying to lose weight, stop with petty friggen posts like this... "Blah blah blah!! My fatty diet is better than your lean diet!!" It is Nonsense!!!

We all need to support each other in our weight loss journeys... You have your reasons for eating what you eat, Just like other's have their reasons for what they eat... Not really sure why this needs to spark a debate???
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Cholesterol.

Cholesterol from animal does not affect your cholesterol as much as you think it does. Your body produces way more cholesterol than you probably consume.

There is a difference in good and bad cholesterol:

Animal fat = bad cholesterol LDL
    Avocados or olive oil = good cholesterol. HDL
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Because my diet is much more restrictive on calories than yours at the moment! LOL
  • ArchangelMJ
    ArchangelMJ Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I love ribeye steak as much as the next non-vegetarian, but lean meats are significantly fewer in calories, especially fish. I just end up getting to eat more.
  • beckymlong
    beckymlong Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I just don't understand why people are afraid of fat, fat is good for you, your body needs fat to function properly. Just because it's called fat doesn't mean it's going to make you fat, I eat about 90-120 grams of fat a day and I'm far from fat haha

I think you have hit the nail on the head, people are attracted to lean, low fat etc because they associate fat with negativity. Often low fat food is pumped with sugar, additionally I avoid sweetners I don't think they are any good for you.
  • alastria
    alastria Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I don't get why people get BORED of "lean protein".