A LADY WHO LIFTS - 1 year of progress! (pics)

Options

Replies

• __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    way to go
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    *like*
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Too dang awesome. Whoop *kitten*!
  • alsuna
    alsuna Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You look amazing! That's exactly where I want to be too!
  • Ginnie_Fizz
    Options
    If you could go back and do it all over, would you still have started with NROL or would you have gone straight to SL?

If I went back, I would definitely either do NROLFW to begin with or I would do Jamie Eason's LiveFit. I haven't actually done Live FIt but I've looked a lot into it and it's a similar program to new rules, starts with no cardio, adds it in in phase 2, has more lifts in each workout and focuses on certain parts of the body in certain workouts.

I don't like how the live fit trainer pushes supplementation so much, even though I think that it can possibly be very helpful, it may not be necessary for everyone or at least not while they're starting out especially if they can't afford it.

I like that nrolfw begins with higher reps and fewer sets and then progresses to lower rep higher weight because it assumes that the average female who is beginning lifting for the first time will *underestimate* how much they can lift (I did!) and thus should start at higher rep and then progress as their confidence progresses.

Nrolfw workouts can be a little confusing at first if one doesn't take the time to actually read the book and read the instructions. It's a short, informational, and really well done book but a lot of people skip to the end for the workouts and then say they don't understand how it's set up. It's confusing but if you read it closely, it is all explained!

And I like that nrolfw has a whole section devoted to nutrition and why eating ABOVE BMR and even at maintenance during lifting is CRUCIAL. I think this is the best information in the book, how to calculate your calories. In fact, I have this old post outlining it if anyone is interested:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538943-how-to-calculate-calorie-goals-according-to-nrolfw

I would not start with stronglifts if I went back and started over because although stronglifts is an amazing workout program, I think I would have been very intimidated by it (even more than I was!) if I had started with it. It's very much aimed at men, and as much as I am a proponent of women and men being able to lift the same, I liked having a program that I felt was aimed at me as a female when I first started. Stronglifts is great for me now because it's quick, the workouts are always the same, and it's not anything I have to think about. Plus the app is handy!

Thanks for the great question!

This is so helpful. Thanks!
  • xomellyxo
    xomellyxo Posts: 32
    Options
    That's amazing! I've always put weights off cause I thought I needed to lose weight first but I'm going to start now!
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Great post! I'm in my third week of stronglifts. I can't wait to have similar success! You look AWESOME!!!
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this! You look awesome! Lifting does a body good :smile:
  • Fat_Bottomed_Girl
    Fat_Bottomed_Girl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Amazing job! Thanks for sharing!
  • Tatiyanya
    Tatiyanya Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Now I gotta explain to everyone why I woof-woof'ed at my laptop in very sultry voice...:blushing:
    Amazing job, so gonna keep this thread as motivation to stop slacking and get lifting .

Hotdaaamn .

Edit:
    Nope, I still can't spell.
  • Cbefitforlife
    Cbefitforlife Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    total inspiration to me! I always hear that weights are better and i know that when i do weights verses cardio...my heart pumps wayyy more. I have a video by Jillian micheals where you do weights and lunges together. You double your fat burn then cardio alone. My heart pumps way faster in those 6min. segments, then a 30 min. brisk walk. You look great! Your abs are toned...your legs are strong, and your glutes even look higher. Total goal of mine...to lift my toosh...tush?? however the hell you spell that! lol! Anyhow...thanks for posting this...i am ready to fight this fat once in for all. YOu just proved to me that the scales are worth nothing. If you are toned, look good, and cothes fit...who cares what that blasted scale says!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Cbefitforlife
    Cbefitforlife Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Don't you think that some women are afraid of looking bigger or like a man?? Also they feel maybe that they will build muscles under fat and look really gross?? I think that is why we shy from it...but you just proved us all wrong!!!!!!!!!! I have a bowflex at home. My husband uses it...but i just do up to 10 lbs. with free weights. Maybe i should start using that bowflex!!!!!!! ;)
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Wow! I love lifting and you are a total inspiration.
  • SexyLovinmeCook
    SexyLovinmeCook Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Congrats....you look so good...Lean and Mean!!!!Happy 1yr
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    toomuchbootyindapants Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    HAWWWT! You really changed the shape of your body from frump to bumps in alll the right places! Good work girl!!
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Omg you are my inspiration. I just started stronglifts, today is workout 5 for me! Thank you so much for sharing, you have te perfect body. :)
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I LOVE YOU, FRIEND!!!!!!!!!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Fan-freakin-tastic results! :drinker:
  • kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Love this post ! Great to see your progress, thanks so much for sharing. You look great.
    Do you know what your BF was through the different stages?

I am on week 4 of SL and have not lost any weight BUT can tell I am losing inches so trying not to worry about the # on the scale (Trying is the key word !!)
  • MJO7164
    MJO7164 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm quite impresseed! I am 48, want to lose 25, but in the meantime, will try this "lifting thing"!! All I have are some free weights, do you think this will help at all? Currently I run on the treadmill 3 times a week total of about 6 miles.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!