A LADY WHO LIFTS - 1 year of progress! (pics)

Options

Replies

• SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    You read that right, I'm one of those ladies, the kind that lifts all the heavy things and EATS all the things (especially the protein)!

I have been on MFP since Jan 2012, love logging and love all my frands :) I started lifting 03/21/12 so now it's been a year!! I took some progress pics this morning, although I don't know if they really show all the progress I've made adequately lol.

The stats:
    I'm 5'8", 22yo, and ~135 lbs. When I started lifting I was ~131. That's right, I weigh more! I eat at or around NET maintenance and have for a year now. 1800-1950 calories plus exercise cals, I change it around with how I'm feeling. I don't do any cardio. Basically ever. Once in a while I'll jog like a mile.

I started lifting after finishing Turbofire. I did NROLFW through stage 5, ending in September. Took a break to try getting back into gymnastics, and then dove back into lifting in November. I've been doing Stronglifts 5x5 since November.

Measurements:
    03/21/12 ----> 03/21/13
    Waist: 26" ----> 24.75"
    Hips (hip bone): 33"
    > 31.5"
    Thighs: 20.2"
    > 21.0"
    Arms: 10.0"
    > 11.1"
    Just below bellybutton: 29"
    > 27.25"
    Under Breasts (ribs) 29.5"
    > 27.1"
    Over Breasts: 34.5"
    > 31.0"
    True Hips (widest part) 37.5"
    ^^ I didn't measure this until 01/27/13 and it is still the same.

Lift Progress: (start of nrolfw --> start of stronglifts --> now)

Squats: 50 lbs (2x15) ----> 95 lbs (5x5) ----> 145 lbs (5x5)
    Rows: 30 lbs (2x15)
    > 70lbs (5x5)
    > 90 lbs (5x5)
    Deadlifts: 60 lbs (2x12) --> 95 lbs (5x5) ----> 145 lbs (5x5)
    OHP: X
    > 50 lbs (5x5) ----> 70 lbs (5x5)
    Bench Press: X
    > 55 lbs (5x5) ----> 90 lbs (5x5)

And the pics:

Before I started exercise (Mar 2011):
    196772_10150442658710858_883250857_18004735_5900719_n.jpg
    P1000513.jpg
    P1000511.jpg

Mar 2012 - when I started nrolfw:
    03-21-2012frontback.jpg

03-21-2012side.jpg

NOW:
    P1020136_zps1f7fb24d.jpg

P1020131_zps0bd00a4d.jpg

P1020144_zps201626db.jpg

P1020145_zps689269b2.jpg

P1020127_zps7f3b0c2f.jpg

faa91c5f-22ab-4e63-82c9-a7ddf01648fd_zpsb826382a.jpg

P1020157_zpsbfd526e9.jpg

8715a837-69ab-419f-af16-0de4312889db_zps1a559e43.jpg

Hi Obliques :)
    5c7f3942-0095-43ea-8e4c-f31bed5697ae_zpsc2e4e258.jpg

Ignore my grumpy morning faces lol! -- Abs are starting to peak in:
    P1020147_zpsad1ddf40.jpg

Guess what I don't have to worry about anymore? Skinny arm - mine's always skinny ;)
    P1020150_zps8a222322.jpg

A progression shot:
    26c3f1af-4753-45c1-9beb-9090044a4711_zps9b91bfec.jpg

A few shots from my instagram -- follow me! @fittiephd
    23C992DB-8B12-430D-AE11-43A88283D6D1-3071-000002DF7F9A8E31_zpsc8bfcf4b.jpg

BDCB6344-A4B3-4849-B148-D3925BFAD4EE-3071-000002DF73D3FBE5_zps2dfc3c32.jpg

(new bikini bottoms!:)
    B989C630-6C35-491F-92E7-71A018AFAB75-3071-000002DF4DEF5D90_zps1c82f77b.jpg

Now does this look bulky to you?! ;)
    fd649b98-fc3d-41c0-b626-d27f890b83d6_zpscd8ed9bc.jpg

7441E8DD-97A4-4281-AA49-A650AE1E4568-3071-000002DF8995F8B4_zps5b53d75b.jpg

I love helping anyone who has questions about lifting and eating properly so feel free to message me!

IWHI
  • anjani_009
    anjani_009 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Wow awesome :) I don't like cardio, think I should start lifting as well :indifferent:
  • louiselavender
    Options
    You look fab
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm glad to see more women ignoring that myth about weighlifting = bulking up! My mom and I enjoy lifting together when possible, and have seen definite benefits from it.

Question for you: does the book - or do you - have advice on exercises that tone up the thighs, specifically the inner thigh area?

I firmly believe you can't spot reduce :) Sucks but it's true! I've noticed the most benefit to my thighs since really pushing my lifts harder. Ie since january I have gone from ~100 lbs on my squats and deads to 165lbs. That push along with increasing my average protein intake from ~27% to ~35% has really helped my legs get better definition. But they are one of the last places for me (last place being my abs) to get definition, and I've only really noticed it recently after about 1 year of lifting. Just keep lifting and eating right and it will happen!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Omg you look so bulky.

Just kidding--you look fantastic! Congrats on your transformation.
  • RockyDon
    RockyDon Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Nice nice nice work
  • fittiephd
    Options
    Omg you look so bulky.

Just kidding--you look fantastic! Congrats on your transformation.

lolol thanks :) Some may think I look bulky and that's fine if they do, I definitely have more inches on my thighs/arms than someone who is just skin and bones, but I'm glad everything is tight and muscular and I woudnt have it any other way!
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I dont know how I missed this, but seriously amazing progress... 'nuff said!
  • fittiephd
    Options
    I dont know how I missed this, but seriously amazing progress... 'nuff said!

Thanks hunn! You inspire me :) Glad to have you as a friend!
  • kfelux
    kfelux Posts: 34
    Options
    Kudos lady! Quite the inspiration!

I used to lift in college...deads, cleans, jerks, etc. And I really enjoyed it.

But six years and two kids later I've definitely lost that.

But this post may have just lit the fire under my butt to get back in it! Thanks for sharing!
  • MsMarlaJean
    MsMarlaJean Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    "I was VERY intimidated to go over to the weights and start lifting, but the best things I've learned are that no one else at the gym CARES what you're doing, and if you have a question about equipment, etiquette, or form, just ASK, almost everyone is very nice :) Don't be afraid, be confident and strong!"
    [/quote]
    oops! Somehow I messed up the quote, but what you said above is what holds me back too! Intimidation! I took a lifting class in high school, but that was over 20 years ago! For some reason I feel more comfortable on the weight machines over the free weights. I have NROLFW and have just started to read, so hopefully I'll get over it like you did...Thanks for sharing!
  • garnet116
    garnet116 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    WOW, you look great!

Can I ask how many minutes each of your workout sessions are? Also if you had to lose a larger amount of weight (like 15-20 pounds) would you do cardio then? Or still just skip all cardio and just lift?

I really need to read this book. I realize these answers are probably in the book but if you have a chance to answer I'd appreciate it :)

Hey!

The length of the workouts varies. Today I was at the gym for about 45-60 minutes. Stronglifts 5x5 is a pretty quick workout because it's only 3 lifts. NROLFW is notoriously longer, though sometimes the workouts are shorter depending on the stage and also depending on how many sets you do (they usually tell you to choose either 3 or 4 sets after the first stage) You can adjust your workouts and your rest periods as needed.

If you don't like cardio then you can definitely skip cardio and only lift even when you have weight left to lose. Lifting will get your heart rate up just like cardio does if your'e lifting heavy enough. NROLFW tells you to avoid cardio during stage 1 because your muscles are getting used to lifting and need all the rest they can get, but after that it incorporates 15 minutes of HIIT after every other workout, so you could choose to do that if you'd like.

I personally recommend NROLFW for beginners, but I've seen some people do LiveFit or Starting Strength or even Stronglifts as beginners and have great success.

Message me if you have more questions!

Thank you so much for answering my questions, I really appreciate it! I will read the book :)
  • Annelies11
    Annelies11 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! I look very similar to your before pictures and have just started lifting heavier.
    I do a dumbbells workout at home, 3x per week for about 45 minutes.

I would love to lose about 5 lbs, but really I just want to gain muscle and lose fat like you did.

I went to the post where you explained how many calories one should eat while doing a lifting routine (which I realize is a nrol4w routine) .

My stats are:

Workout days: 2300
    Rest days: 2000

I could lower that to 2000 and 1700 if I want to lose weight, but I don't think I will.
    However, since I am doing an at home routine and not doing cardio, maybe I shouldn't go quite as high as 2300.

So my question is, do you think eating about 2000 every day (rest and workout days) would be good to gain muscle and lose fat?
    Or, should I eat about 1800 on rest days and 2000 on workout days? What would you suggest?
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Question for the OP or others who have done NROLFW, I just requested the book from my library, but wanted to know is this something I can do from home? I do not belong to a gym and really have no desire to join one. Right now, my heaviest dumbbells are 10lbs, but there is a place in my area where I can get second hand weights really cheap. Thanks.
  • fittiephd
    Options
    You look amazing! I look very similar to your before pictures and have just started lifting heavier.
    I do a dumbbells workout at home, 3x per week for about 45 minutes.

I would love to lose about 5 lbs, but really I just want to gain muscle and lose fat like you did.

I went to the post where you explained how many calories one should eat while doing a lifting routine (which I realize is a nrol4w routine) .

My stats are:

Workout days: 2300
    Rest days: 2000

I could lower that to 2000 and 1700 if I want to lose weight, but I don't think I will.
    However, since I am doing an at home routine and not doing cardio, maybe I shouldn't go quite as high as 2300.

So my question is, do you think eating about 2000 every day (rest and workout days) would be good to gain muscle and lose fat?
    Or, should I eat about 1800 on rest days and 2000 on workout days? What would you suggest?

Hey! Great questions!

I think eating 2000 every day would be great, then you'd end up with about a 900 calorie / week deficit which is not large and would definitely allow you to essentially maintain your weight while losing body fat. Whether or not you are doing cardio doesn't have anything to do with it. Your body burns calories while lifting weights as well, even if it's at home! Your body doesn't care where you're working out as long as you're doing it ;)

My next tip/advice is to do what feels best for you. If you find after 3 months of eating 2000 cals every day that you are either really full, really hungry, or just not progressing like you think you should be, knock it down to 1900 cals or 2100 cals or whatever you think feels right. The calculations provide great starting points/guidelines but cannot give you the exact caloric intake you need because they're based on estimations and general averages. Also, as much as we like to think we are extremely meticulous in calorie counting, we'll never be absolutely perfect so it's best to just think of calories as a general goal and try to eat semi-intuitively. I usually focus more on my macros and often susbcribe to the IIFYM thought process. Right now my macros are at 40% carbs, 25% fat, 35% protein.
  • fittiephd
    Options
    Question for the OP or others who have done NROLFW, I just requested the book from my library, but wanted to know is this something I can do from home? I do not belong to a gym and really have no desire to join one. Right now, my heaviest dumbbells are 10lbs, but there is a place in my area where I can get second hand weights really cheap. Thanks.

You can do weightlifting at home if you are really committed to buying weights. But the point of it is to lift HEAVY, as in when I started pretty much any lift requiring a barbell was up over 45 lbs, and as I said in my post I am up to 165 lbs now etc. So its' really easier if you have a gym.

If I were you I'd read NROLFW for the great info in it and then try to look up some dumbbell exercise at home programs, or p90x, that use dumbbells and body weight. You can have great results from that at home. I personally love the gym but if you don't want to join one then you don't have to :)
  • fittiephd
    Options

"I was VERY intimidated to go over to the weights and start lifting, but the best things I've learned are that no one else at the gym CARES what you're doing, and if you have a question about equipment, etiquette, or form, just ASK, almost everyone is very nice :) Don't be afraid, be confident and strong!"
    oops! Somehow I messed up the quote, but what you said above is what holds me back too! Intimidation! I took a lifting class in high school, but that was over 20 years ago! For some reason I feel more comfortable on the weight machines over the free weights. I have NROLFW and have just started to read, so hopefully I'll get over it like you did...Thanks for sharing!

Yeah it really was very scary for me when I started! But now I love the gym :) It's very empowering. You can do it!
  • InnerConflict
    InnerConflict Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    SMASH
  • vwright0905
    Options
    Great job, started cross fit about a month ago, and now I cant stop, plus my husband is really happy that i lift with him!! cant wait for some major results, but im already stronger now!! Great job!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!