A LADY WHO LIFTS - 1 year of progress! (pics)

Options

Replies

• supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Well done! You look amazing!!
  • Happyme2009
    Happyme2009 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I love this post! Very inspirational!!!!
  • kiekie
    kiekie Posts: 289 Member
    Options

Basically my answer is that your workout regimen doesn't need to be all or nothing. Turbofire doesn't need to be done every day, you could do it only on rest days just pick whichever dvds you like! And then on the other days do heavy lifting or other programs. You can mix it up however you like best for YOU :) I personally don't do anything else with stronglifts but that's because I just like lifting best :) good luck!

Thank you so much for responding. This really is what I needed to hear!
  • Tulipgirl1223
    Tulipgirl1223 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the responses, so if it was answered sorry.
    First off....you look GREAT!!!!!!!
    Second off.....Is this a program you can do at home with hand weights, or do you need a gym or weight bench at your home

Thank you!! Definitely a program you need a gym or a power rack with weights for. As you can see from my post a lot of my lifts are over 50 lbs, some over 100 lbs. Those aren't the types of lifts you do with hand weights :) Nrolfw definitely requires a gym unless you have a lot of equipment.

If you google dumbbell workouts you can find some but you'd need pretty heavy dumbbells eventually! When I say lift heavy, I mean HEAVY, like as heavy as possible!

Bummer LOL, thanks!!!
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!!! Which do you prefer NROL4W or stronglifts?
  • firelle
    firelle Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I LOVE your back. And bejeezus, you shredded even before NROLFW with that TF. Congratulations! I'm a past TFer. I'm just going to pick it up for fun when I'm taking a break from my gym schedule. I'm finally tackling those circuits and lifting all the things!
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    If you could go back and do it all over, would you still have started with NROL or would you have gone straight to SL?

If I went back, I would definitely either do NROLFW to begin with or I would do Jamie Eason's LiveFit. I haven't actually done Live FIt but I've looked a lot into it and it's a similar program to new rules, starts with no cardio, adds it in in phase 2, has more lifts in each workout and focuses on certain parts of the body in certain workouts.

I don't like how the live fit trainer pushes supplementation so much, even though I think that it can possibly be very helpful, it may not be necessary for everyone or at least not while they're starting out especially if they can't afford it.

I like that nrolfw begins with higher reps and fewer sets and then progresses to lower rep higher weight because it assumes that the average female who is beginning lifting for the first time will *underestimate* how much they can lift (I did!) and thus should start at higher rep and then progress as their confidence progresses.

Nrolfw workouts can be a little confusing at first if one doesn't take the time to actually read the book and read the instructions. It's a short, informational, and really well done book but a lot of people skip to the end for the workouts and then say they don't understand how it's set up. It's confusing but if you read it closely, it is all explained!

And I like that nrolfw has a whole section devoted to nutrition and why eating ABOVE BMR and even at maintenance during lifting is CRUCIAL. I think this is the best information in the book, how to calculate your calories. In fact, I have this old post outlining it if anyone is interested:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538943-how-to-calculate-calorie-goals-according-to-nrolfw

I would not start with stronglifts if I went back and started over because although stronglifts is an amazing workout program, I think I would have been very intimidated by it (even more than I was!) if I had started with it. It's very much aimed at men, and as much as I am a proponent of women and men being able to lift the same, I liked having a program that I felt was aimed at me as a female when I first started. Stronglifts is great for me now because it's quick, the workouts are always the same, and it's not anything I have to think about. Plus the app is handy!

Thanks for the great question!

^^^ I think this pretty much addresses your question :) To sum it up, I prefer stronglifts now because it's straightforward and a quicker workout.
  • fittiephd
    Options
    I LOVE your back. And bejeezus, you shredded even before NROLFW with that TF. Congratulations! I'm a past TFer. I'm just going to pick it up for fun when I'm taking a break from my gym schedule. I'm finally tackling those circuits and lifting all the things!

AWESOME :) Lol I think my post TF pics are misleading I don't think I was shredded then but I definitely felt a lot stronger than when I started!! Any activity helps :) Plus TF was very fun! Lots of little changes here and there since then, mostly decreases in inches and increases in lifts!

And thank you!!!
  • geneal01
    geneal01 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    iv been doing kettle works for 3 weeks now, has anyone seen results doing this program?? I hate doing cardio, but enjoy weight training,

just want some input on kettle works please :) or any other suggestions!!!
  • babycakes1970
    babycakes1970 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have the NROLFW book and even started the program but I hated how it had me going all over the gym. I also decided that I wanted to spend LESS time at the gym not more.I think that we all have to do whatever program works best with our preferences/lifestyle whatever.
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    If you could go back and do it all over, would you still have started with NROL or would you have gone straight to SL?

If I went back, I would definitely either do NROLFW to begin with or I would do Jamie Eason's LiveFit. I haven't actually done Live FIt but I've looked a lot into it and it's a similar program to new rules, starts with no cardio, adds it in in phase 2, has more lifts in each workout and focuses on certain parts of the body in certain workouts.

I don't like how the live fit trainer pushes supplementation so much, even though I think that it can possibly be very helpful, it may not be necessary for everyone or at least not while they're starting out especially if they can't afford it.

I like that nrolfw begins with higher reps and fewer sets and then progresses to lower rep higher weight because it assumes that the average female who is beginning lifting for the first time will *underestimate* how much they can lift (I did!) and thus should start at higher rep and then progress as their confidence progresses.

Nrolfw workouts can be a little confusing at first if one doesn't take the time to actually read the book and read the instructions. It's a short, informational, and really well done book but a lot of people skip to the end for the workouts and then say they don't understand how it's set up. It's confusing but if you read it closely, it is all explained!

And I like that nrolfw has a whole section devoted to nutrition and why eating ABOVE BMR and even at maintenance during lifting is CRUCIAL. I think this is the best information in the book, how to calculate your calories. In fact, I have this old post outlining it if anyone is interested:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538943-how-to-calculate-calorie-goals-according-to-nrolfw

I would not start with stronglifts if I went back and started over because although stronglifts is an amazing workout program, I think I would have been very intimidated by it (even more than I was!) if I had started with it. It's very much aimed at men, and as much as I am a proponent of women and men being able to lift the same, I liked having a program that I felt was aimed at me as a female when I first started. Stronglifts is great for me now because it's quick, the workouts are always the same, and it's not anything I have to think about. Plus the app is handy!

Thanks for the great question!

^^^ I think this pretty much addresses your question :) To sum it up, I prefer stronglifts now because it's straightforward and a quicker workout.

Thank you, I glanced through a page or 2 but didn't read all 7. You really are inspiring. One of my New years resolution is to start a strength program.
  • fittiephd
    Options
    I have the NROLFW book and even started the program but I hated how it had me going all over the gym. I also decided that I wanted to spend LESS time at the gym not more.I think that we all have to do whatever program works best with our preferences/lifestyle whatever.

Yeah definitely! That's how I felt with nrolfw after a while too. It was perfect for me while I started but now I love that SL is just 3 lifts quick in and out of the gym if I want :) Although I usually add upper body isolation work at the end too.
  • jbbrannon
    jbbrannon Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    You look great!!
  • GonnaBFit2510
    GonnaBFit2510 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Wow great results you look fab,
    I've just started NROL4W and am really enjoying it, hope I get as good a result as you.
    I am managing to do it at home too which is good as I'm one of these lady's who is scared of what people will think of a lady lifting lol
    I will probably start going to the gym once I've got the hang of it all and can lift quite heavy (or run out of weights)
    FR sent ;0)
  • zeprose
    zeprose Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Great results! I really want to be where you stands but I have a long way to go. I hope I can get the same results:)
  • Tlove1111
    Tlove1111 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Great results! ! I've been lifting for a few months & starting to see some good results. You just gave me the extra boost of motivation I needed to keep at it! Sometimes it's easy to get discouraged if your not seeng the results quick enough. It's refreshing to hear you say that it took a year to get to where you're at now. Thank you. :flowerforyou:
  • weloveourboys
    weloveourboys Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic! But I maintain that doing cardio is good for people...it is important for cardiovascular fitness. For the recorded, I don't lift; only cardio! One can also look toned and strong by doing only cardio!
  • ScottishMrs
    ScottishMrs Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Awesome results! I really want to start a lifting program now! I don't want to go to the gym though because it's super crowded and I can never get to the equipment. If I saved up and got a barbell set, would I be able to do this at home?

I'm definitely going to try finding a dumbbell lifting program to start immediately though because we already have a set of Bowflex dumbbells and an up/down inclinable utility bench.

ETA: Mind if I send a FR?
  • Imigen04
    Imigen04 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Can I ask why no cardio? I am completely lost going into weightloss and getting myself healthy. I would like to find out more foods that are ok to eat. I do Zumba at my house before I head to school an hour away and I am there by 8:00 and don't get home til 6:00 so on the go foods are needed too. Does it matter when to eat ( like before exercise or after). I really have no idea about anything. Plus I don't eat mayo, fish, or turkey cause I'm allergic. :(. Helpppppp plz
  • kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    Options

Yeah definitely! That's how I felt with nrolfw after a while too. It was perfect for me while I started but now I love that SL is just 3 lifts quick in and out of the gym if I want :) Although I usually add upper body isolation work at the end too.

I agree, that is what I love about SL too !!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!