5-HTP for Anxiety and Mild Depression

Options
I am interested in hearing from others who have taken 5-HTP. And NO I DID NOT HEAR ABOUT THIS FROM DR.OZ, I DON'T WATCH THAT CRAP. I recently visited a qualified naturopathic doctor who prescribed it for treatment of my anxiety and mild depression. I am not currently on nor have I ever taken any prescription medications for either ailment. The only supplement I am currently taking is DIM-Complex, which is to treat my estrogen dominance. I see a therapist, work out regularly, and engage in a healthy lifestyle. Neither my therapist nor my traditional MD have suggested that I need prescription meds (well, not YET anyway, lol) but I am looking for a way to encourage my healing and get the most of my efforts in feeling better emotionally.

Replies

• Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I haven't, but when I was younger I had mild anxiety and depression as well. I read the book "change your brain, change your life" which advocates natural remedies before meds. I started taking a B-complex, because he said a B deficiency can cause the symptoms I was having. It worked WONDERS for me. I don't take one everyday anymore but definitely find a healthy diet and exercise are usually enough for me. I also eat a high B diet and lots of healthy fats for the brain. :) HTH and good luck to you!
  • achojnacki
    achojnacki Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have taken 5 htp for anxiety and didn't like the side effects, it tended to make my hair fall out at a higher pace than normal. I didn't see any lasting impacts. I prefer valerian for anxiety.
  • Prephred
    Prephred Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    You might check your vitamin D levels. Most people's is very low or low and this causes depression to be worse.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    A few possible steps to
    check vitamin d level like prevously posted.
    take a b-100 complex and niacin (nicotinic acid) like prevously posted.
    eat foods high in tryptophan:

World's Healthiest Foods rich in tryptophan:
    http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=103

I wouldn't eat soy if you have problems with estrogen.
  • kusterer
    kusterer Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My doctor had me take that for a while. Long time ago. If I remember right, the theory is that your body may convert it into serotonin. Most modern prescription drugs for depression increase the availability of serotonin and/or dopamine is some way or another.
  • justkeepswimming83
    Options
    A couple people have suggested checking Vitamin D levels....I failed to mention that I am taking a prescription strength (50,000 iu per week for 3 months, then decreasing to OTC) Vitamin D supplement. The same hormonal blood test that helped me determine that I am estrogen dominant told me I was D deficient. Granted I live in Wisconsin and haven't seen sunshine since September sooooooo not surprised :)

@TheDevastator Do you know if soy-based skin products are problematic as well? I'm googling this now but just curious if you knew. I used Aveeno face wash and face lotions, and their big thing is that they use a Soy complex and are "natural"...whatever that means anymore.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    There is a little bit of evidence that suggests 5-HTP *could* be effective, however, the risks might outweight the benefits.

Here is a link to the University of Maryland Medical Center page regarding 5-HTP:

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/5-hydroxytryptophan-000283.htm

Another option is mediating by way of diaphragmatic breathing:

my.clevelandclinic.org/.../hic_diaphragmatic_breathing.aspx

Many mental health professionals promote breathing because of the positive effect on the parasympathetic nervous system (calms us down).

If your anxiety is mild, your Dr. might prescribe something like Buspar because of the mild side effect profile.
  • sarah3333
    sarah3333 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me to take them for my migraines. I went from about 2 a month to about 2 a year! I love them. No side effects for me.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    @TheDevastator Do you know if soy-based skin products are problematic as well? I'm googling this now but just curious if you knew. I used Aveeno face wash and face lotions, and their big thing is that they use a Soy complex and are "natural"...whatever that means anymore.

Yes they are as far as I know. If your skin absorbs it, it can do damage to your hormone levels.
  • Prephred
    Options
    I was on OTC vit-d that didn't move my levels at all. I have been on the (50,000 Units) 2 times a week and i stabilized at mid-range and have been for years now. Hopefully they will watch it for you.
  • Prephred
    Options
    My doctor told me to take them for my migraines. I went from about 2 a month to about 2 a year! I love them. No side effects for me.

Is this the 5-HTP you are taking for migraines? or something else?
  • a778c466
    a778c466 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have taken it since November 2012. It has greatly improved my mood and made my anxiety very manageable. I do not have any side effects. It has really done wonders for me.
  • rendonjr
    rendonjr Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    i love htp and melatonin 1 hr before bed. I sleep like a baby. I feel like I am floating on clouds as I drift off to sleep. I used to have anxiety attacks and this has helped alot.
  • deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I tried it, didn't seem to help me much but could have been because of dosage...I've been taking L phenylalanine and Tyrosine. Been getting a nice mental boost from those.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Not sure what your diet is like, but I had issues with depression and anxiety when I wasn't eating enough saturated fats.
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I have been using this

http://www.amoryn.com/

And it's great. 5htp did not work for me. I think this is the best I've found.
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,639 Member
    Options
    5-htp works well for my husband for sleep and seems to help level his moods. He's take it for a couple of years now without issue. For me, it helped some things but I had some side effects that included sinus aggravation that disturbed my sleep, so I stopped taking it. We were taking it at the dose intended for insomnia.

I've become a cheerleader for magnesium lately. The US guidelines, which changed to a lower magnesium requirement sometime in the 50s or 60s, are probably too low, and 2 out of 3 Americans aren't getting enough even by those likely-low standards. Although this is a serious problem for many, many reasons and conditions, I mention it here because anytime you are talking about serotonin, you should be checking magnesium first. This is because magnesium is absolutely necessary for the body's manufacture and management of serotonin.

The long list of complaints doctors now dish out antidepressants for like candy overlap very well with the list of symptoms caused by low magnesium levels, including anxiety, depression, insomnia, chronic pain, etc. ad infinitum. Some antidepressants actually artificially raise the level of available magnesium in the body, which may explain some improvement of symptoms, but obviously if that is the reason for the improvement (and I'm not saying it ALWAYS is, just that it may be one reason), there are better ways to raise magnesium levels, like.... taking magnesium. Unlike calcium supplementation, it is very low risk even at high doses for anyone with normal kidney function.

Based on my own experience, I agree with the theory held by many nutritionists that starting with magnesium supplementation can either eliminate the need for antidepressants, anxiolytics, or sleep aids, or reduce the dosage requirement for more severe cases. When I started supplementing magnesium I was able in less than two weeks to stop taking the prescription sleep aid I've been on for over two years, which is a low-dose antidepressant frequently used for insomnia. Before I eliminated it altogether, the magnesium helped right away with the worst side effect which was leg cramps.

Off my soapbox now, but if you would like more information feel free to contact me directly. The magnesium issue is broad and there are different kinds of supplements out there, and I may be able to help summarize the avalanche of information.

Good luck!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Before I took any supplement not prescribed by my doctor to treat a deficiency measured in my bloodwork, I would ALWAYS try to make the changes to my diet and routine that are shown to help.

For you, things like:
    -Following the same sleep schedule every day
    -Eating lots of complex carbs that contain tryptophan: beans, spinach, mushrooms, other greens
    -NO alcohol and only one cup of caffeine per day
    -Exercise a little every day or meditate
    -Give and receive lots of hugs that last for at least 30 seconds
    -Eat lean meats, but fatty fish like salmon, tuna, sardines, mackerel, and trout

Good luck <3
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,639 Member
    Options
    Before I took any supplement not prescribed by my doctor to treat a deficiency measured in my bloodwork, I would ALWAYS try to make the changes to my diet and routine that are shown to help.

Just a note--my doctor has ordered several "complete" blood panels over the years, which I am able to review online. The panel her office uses, which I assume is probably pretty standard, does not include a test for magnesium, and a separate test for magnesium was never once ordered.

This is a case, I believe, where a lot of mainstream and naturopathic practitioners are missing something very important.