Options

Replies

• Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Too many rules!

1. Stay at a caloric deficit
    2. Eat nutritious foods 85-90% of the time
    3. If needed, use the remaining 10-15% for discretionary foods to keep you sane while maintaining carbs/protein/fats

The End

yes

yes

yessss!
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    These are good rules. No one could argue with them. But probably someone will! :smokin:

See above!

Sorry but my parents taught me to question things that don't makes sense and never to follow somebody blindly.

Sure, that's ok. Keep doing that.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    These are good rules. No one could argue with them. But probably someone will! :smokin:

See above!

Sorry but my parents taught me to question things that don't makes sense and never to follow somebody blindly.

Sorry, but I would rather be happy and satisfied while I take care of my body. Adherence is key...most people give up when there are too many rules, and are deprived of things they enjoy.
  • lua_
    lua_ Posts: 258 Member
    Options

See above!

Hahaha, true. Your post was hilarious. I don't agree with diet 'rules' in the first place.

My only real rules:

1. 90/10 (80/20 when I've lost weight) lifestyle
    2. No binges, remember why you started
    3. Portion control
    4. Exercise

Life is much better when you're not following a commercially dictated set of rules
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    more like the lolrules
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I think these rules are pretty decent as they target people's weak spots. I think rules is probably an inappropriate term though, maybe suggestions or tips. They seem to be more about getting your head around eating less, rather than the physiology of weight loss.

Rule #1 : Drink A Large Glass of Water Before Every Meal----No Excuses!

If you feel full prior to eating, you may eat less.

Rule #2 : Don't Drink Your Calories

Caloric intake from drinks have been increasing. Might be people don't factor them in as calories as much as solid food.

Rule #3 : Eat Protein at Every Meal----or Stay Hungry and Grouchy

I think most people on these boards would agree with this.

Rule #4 : Slash Your Intake of Refined Flours and Grains

Reducing refined foods in general is beneficial to health and weight loss.

Rule #5 : Eat 30 to 50 Grams of Fiber a Day

Der poops.

Rule #6 : Eat Apples and Berries Every SIngle Day. Every. Single. Day!

Odd one really. Maybe suggestion for people that don't like fruits and veg?

Rule #7 : No Carbs After Lunch

Odd one again. Although really no more strange than only have carbs near workouts.

Rule #8 : Learn To Read Food Labels So You Know What You Are Eating

No brainer.

Rule #9 : Stop Guessing About Portion Size and Get it RIght--for Good

HUGE for many people. What do you mean my glass of milk is really 2.5 servings?

Rule #10 : No More Added Sweeteners, Including Artificial Ones

A huge reason low-carb diets work is because they have simple rules like this one.

Rule #11 : Get Rid of Those White Potatoes

Again, simple rule for people that may not be eating the baked kind.

Rule #12: Make One Day a Week Meatless

Eating less meat has been linked to health and longevity. Also, leads people to try more fruit and veg.

Rule #13 : Get Rid of Fast Foods and Fried Foods

Simple to follow rule.

Rule #14 : Eat a Real Breakfast

I think this is for those people that eat a little yoplait or a nutrigrain bar for breakfast than are hungry an hour later
    finding a bagel or a donut. Again this is more about detracting from bad habits.

Rule #15 : Make Your Own Food and Eat at Least Ten Meals a Week at Home

I can attest to this one. If I make my own food I eat less. Mainly because I'm lazy.

Rule #16 : Banish High-Salt Foods

Just so I don't have to hear about being bloated.

Rule #17 : Eat Your Vegetables--Just Do it!

No brainer.

Rule #18 : Go to Bed Hungry

This one probably applies to night snackers. Again simple to follow.

---

A lot of weight loss has to do with breaking one's mindset and poor habits. These...tips...are perfect for that.

If people could follow the "simple" rules below without gimmicks more people would be healthy and an appropriate weight. The simple fact is people don't follow the simple rules, so they are not terribly useful.

1. Stay at a caloric deficit
    2. Eat nutritious foods 85-90% of the time
    3. If needed, use the remaining 10-15% for discretionary foods to keep you sane while maintaining carbs/protein/fats
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    My rules = stick to my calorie deficit.

Turns out, it's working pretty well and I'm nearly at goal at 2 months in.

Delicious carbs!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Rules for losing weight:

1. Eat at a calorie deficit.

The end.

I don't do well with rules. If they help you, that's great, but all they're doing is creating a calorie deficit through complicated and arbitrary means.
  • Elle562018
    Elle562018 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    bump
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Delicious carbs!

heretic! get the pitchforks and torches.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Not bad, though there's some to dispute there.

1) No carbs after 6 is silly. The body does not suddenly jum from 5:55 to 6 and go THAT'S IT WE'RE DONE METABOLIZING FOR THE NIGHT.

2) You do not have to go bed hungry. In fact that may only cause you to binge later.

The rest seems pretty sensible.

I agree. I do eat white potatoes, but otherwise I think these are good. Pre-baby, I lost over 100 lbs doing these.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Delicious carbs!

tumblr_m9f33nxezn1rd7sygo1_r1_500.gif
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

See above!

I'm sorry, but are you trying to punish yourself for putting on some extra lbs? I'm not attacking, I'm just curious. I know I thought that I HAD to eat salads and workout 24/7. However, I made sensible choices that will last me. I have been on MFP for over a year and been living a reasonably healthy life for 1.5. I don't have to goto sleep hungry. I don't have to not eat food after a certain time. I don't have to NOT drink milk (its not just for babies you know).

If you would like to follow somebody without questioning them, then thats your choice. However, please don't preach others to mindlessly follow crappy advice
  • freckletone
    Options
    No carbs after lunch?!

Prrfft.

I do most of the others though and the rest are good to know :D
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    This has a number of things that are a pile of BS
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Delicious carbs!

tumblr_m9f33nxezn1rd7sygo1_r1_500.gif

lol... that's nearly as funny as "is this water paleo?"
  • freckletone
    Options
    One of the best 'rules' I follow is to eat when hungry and stop when full
    takes a bit of training. its so easy to only eat at set times
    and it's easy to not want to waste food so you finish it all even though you are full

it takes some listening to your body

but i managed to accomplish this and lost a lot of weight with it :)
  • LessJITT
    LessJITT Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    #7 is basically IMPOSSIBLE for me! :laugh:
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Rule #18 : Go to Bed Hungry

Whyyyyyyyyy? That's one that I've never heard before. I can't sleep when I am hungry, it's probably my main diet rule NOT to go to bed hungry - even if I have no spare calories, if I am laying in bed unable to sleep because I am hungry I will try a big glass of water first and if it doesn't help I will go get something to eat. (generally though it doesn't happen because I do eat enough within my calorie allowance throughout the day).
  • fayeonherway
    Options

See above!

I'm sorry, but are you trying to punish yourself for putting on some extra lbs? I'm not attacking, I'm just curious. I know I thought that I HAD to eat salads and workout 24/7. However, I made sensible choices that will last me. I have been on MFP for over a year and been living a reasonably healthy life for 1.5. I don't have to goto sleep hungry. I don't have to not eat food after a certain time. I don't have to NOT drink milk (its not just for babies you know).

If you would like to follow somebody without questioning them, then thats your choice. However, please don't preach others to mindlessly follow crappy advice

Everything he said. Cheers to you sir! :flowerforyou: