Naturally large thighs?

Options
Is it possible to have naturally large thighs? I have always been an hour glass figure with a larger chest and bigger hips compared to my waist however I'm wondering if that contributes to my large thighs. :embarassed:

They have never really bothered me other than when I'm wearing dresses but I believe that's as I have weirdly short legs compared to my height I am 5 foot 9 and have quite a long body!

I am happier with my weight at the moment I am 9st 7lbs which is 147 pounds and my stomach has improved since starting controlling my diet and exercising but my thighs don't seem to have changed at all.

Does anyone have the same sort of problem or think they have naturally large thighs?

Replies

• iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I've always had larger thighs and a very wide back. I like having strong legs - always had them since my younger days of track and field. So I don't mind the size of my legs. Only problem seems to be when I let myself go, the big legs go to big fat!

My bigger hate is my huge back. It is fat and hard for me to muscle up. But I'll keep working on it.
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Yes! I have always been hippy and had chunkier thighs, but I have learned to accept them. They might shrink a bit and lose some fat, but chances are you could always just have a bigger lower body. Learn to love it girl!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I store a lot of fat on my thighs. I've lost 41 lbs and they haven't gotten much smaller, but just in the past 2 months since I started lifting I've lost about an inch there. That's without trying to eat at a deficit. Now that I've gone back to a deficit I expect to make more progress.
  • sd75
    sd75 Posts: 49
    Options
    I too have what i like to call 'chunky thighs' ... i have always put this down to being under tall (at only 5'2") but a classic hour-glass, & even before i weighed as much as i do now i have always had chunky thighs. The only plus i have for them is that whilst they are chucnky they are incredibly strong - but even tho strong they still have far more wobble than necessary. Its just one of those things i guess .....
  • Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door
    Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    that would be me! My dad's family always had naturally large thighs this is where I carry most of my weight. I am just now seeing my hour glass shape. I did lose 1 inch so far in my thighs by doing squats, lunges, inner thigh stretch, outer thighs stretch and using the nordic track and stationary bike.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I have a similar body type. Longer upper body. Squats, lunges and dead lifts with weights that challenge me has helped lean my thighs in the past.
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options

Awesome! Hear hear! Strong thighs rule! I want thighs I can crush a man's head with (ok not really, but anyone see that in a James Bond movie?)
  • MadisonLeo
    Options
    Yup I have always had thick thighs. I just make sure to keep em toned.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Of course it's possible! We all have different bodies.

I don't see it as a problem, at all! I like big strong legs on me and everyone else. They look sexy, strong, and just great! :wink:
  • AmandaW01
    AmandaW01 Posts: 138
    Options

Awesome! Hear hear! Strong thighs rule! I want thighs I can crush a man's head with (ok not really, but anyone see that in a James Bond movie?)

I know the scene you mean :-) Would be cool! I also have quite chunky thighs, I'm lucky in that I'm an hour glass shape no matter what my size (sometimes a 24 hour glass...) but my thighs have never had the whole thigh gap thing, even when I swam competitively for my county!
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 ft 9 too. I like to think I have an hourglass figure once I lose all the weight I want to. I'm all legs though, and not much torso. My thighs are destined to be thunder thighs though I think, I dunno we'll see.

But if you're at a point where you're comfortable with your weight loss thus far, and youre thighs are still a little large its probably nothing to worry about. You could always just do thigh/leg toning exercises I suppose.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I'm from a family of thunder thighs. We all attributed it to being fat.... but then my baby sister came along we realized it was something more. At 112 pounds she was a competitive wrestler throughout highschool... As you know wrestlers have a very intense workout and diet routine. She was soooo fit and muscles everywhere that a 17 year old girl does not usually have muscles..... but her THIGHS still giggled and were huge compared to the rest of her body.. She was wearing a size 00 top and a size 4 bottom, ok a size 4 does not sound big... but when you're putting it together with a 00 it's pretty large. Basically we discovered it's because we all have lipodema, which is a disproportionate fat in the legs. The thing about this fat, is that it does not release like normal fat.. Normal fat will release when you need it, but lipodema fat will not.. it will let your body starve and break down other tissue before it will release. As the condition worsens, it affects your calves creating cankles and eventually it can progress so that your legs basically look like the Michelin man. The fat becomes painful along the shins in the latest stages and forms nodules. The best way to avoid this progression is DON'T allow yourself to gain weight. Around 10% of women have lipodema but it only becomes a real problem if the woman starts gaining weight.
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    ! have big thighs, always have. I contribute it to years of athletics, gymnastic,soccer,track...

Their size doesn't change much...even with large weight differences. I just accept it, work the hell out of them.

The only time, I had a small thigh was when I was in a MVA, and in a wheelchair and cast...the muscles whithered...
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Yep, I have big thighs and big calves...have done all my life and remember my mother's same shaped legs too : ) (yep it is genetic) always get compliments on the shape of them (usually from creepy old blokes yikes!), so I am not complaining...
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9", 160lbs, 24" thighs. Took me a long me a long time to accept them but I think I finally have.
  • xXxHBICxXx
    xXxHBICxXx Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I have thick thighs, I have a thick lower half in general always have, even when I was very thin. But I love it :happy: I just want to make them look as strong as I know they are.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Yep genetics
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

Saw the word thighs, and knew and your lovely legs would be in here. :)
  • stealthSLOTH
    stealthSLOTH Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    <== 5' feet tall with small ankles and small wrists, but MAN THIGHS! :laugh: Apparently my legs are more like my Dad's than my Mom's chicken legs. They will always be man thighs, but they can still get firmer, stronger and more defined.
    I'm okay with that.

And I'm not kidding. I once saw a photo of myself in shorts and didn't realize they were mine. I had thought they were some dude's legs. :laugh: :noway: At least they are legs that got me through my 11 miler the other day.