Knee injuries-what do you do?

Options
2»

Replies

• princesspeanutsmom
    princesspeanutsmom Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've had one knee replacement and will need the other one replaced. Go easy but keep going. Lots of ice and heat. Castor oil packs help reduce the inflamation as well. Get to physio if you can. A knee brace can help. Doing nothing will only make things worse. Use it or loose it. My knees are worse if I don't work out.
  • mcflat29
    mcflat29 Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options

A really great way to do squats and be good to your knees - use a pilates ball, place the ball on the wall and hold it there with your back, get into a seated position, knees at 90 degree angle and press your back into the ball for support. Slowly extend (the ball will roll up the wall with you). As I was recovering from an injury and trying to build muscle, my PT had me do these very slowly and I would often hold the position in the squat. It burned my atrophied muscles but it worked.

Here are instructions and a video: http://www.inmotionlife.com/squats-with-a-stability-ball/

That's one of the modifications I use! :happy:
  • Mokosh
    Mokosh Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My left knee has been popping out of the cap for years, but now it's happening every aerobic class.
    My right knee also started to hurt a little since I started doing aerobics.
    Also, 2 weeks ago teacher felt especially inspired to turning and my right knee started to hurt so real bad so I didn't do it.
    But last class, two days ago, I did all the squats and the lounges. Yesterday while performing a small squat while shooting hoops my right knee started to hurt real bad, so I couldn't squat or run anymore, I can't even go up the stairs, it hurts so bad.

What can I do until it heals so I don't have to starve myself for the next few days?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Do not do ANY squats! I injured my knee about a year and a half ago at work (50% patella tendon tear) and wasn't given the okay to see a doctor for two weeks (lovely no?) and kept doing my regular duties which included squatting & kneeling and it made it much worse so it took longer to heal (to the point that it has anyhow, it will never be completely better).

Rest, ice & elevate it and get yourself to a doctor as soon as you can. Don't mess with your joints! I'm 33 and there are days when I feel like an old woman because of the (lifelong) lingering issues I have with my knee. There are days I just cannot do my workout and I respect that because I know in the end a missed day of exercise is better than the several days of pain & swelling that will happen if I don't.

I am 22. I really don't want to mess with my joints this early, but I was wondering if it was ok to do some kickboxing/high-impact cardio.

Neither of these sounds like rest
  • justkate88
    Options
    I have three ruptured ligaments in my right knee, and a fractured patella (caused by a nasty dislocation) and am awaiting a multiple ligament reconstruction. I'm doing the 30DS and have found that squats have really strengthened my knee - check your form and don't try to go too low. I can't, however, do the buttkicks, jumping jacks or skipping jumps and just shadow box in place of those exercises.