CrossFit

Options
i am starting a crossfit class at a gym next week and was wondering if any of you have done it (are doing it) what are your thoughts. have you lost weight, gained muscle, toned? This class is 3 days a week for 3 months and i have never done a "class" at a gym, little nervous, but excited at the same time.

Replies

• ramdada
    ramdada Posts: 1
    Options
    Just be careful some crossfit classess Push you to hard and injury becomes a serious risk.
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    I have been doing Crossfit for a year now, and I absolutely love it. I have definitely gained muscle and toned up! Make sure you listen to your body. Pushing yourself is what Crossfit is all about, but make sure you listen to the trainers and ask for help if you feel uncomfortable/unsure about a movement. Form is key!

Thanks to Crossfit, I am stronger and faster than I have ever been. If you are looking to get out of your comfort zone and really push yourself, Crossfit is for you. Be prepared to be REALLY sore after the first few sessions. Once your body adapts, the soreness won't be as bad. Best of luck at Crossfit!
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    While some Crossfit gyms might be run by qualified trainers, many are run by people that only have a Level 1 Crossfit certification and no real education as a personal trainer. A Level 1 Crossfit certification is a JOKE in the fitness industry. All people have to do to get it is fork over money to Crossfit and answer some multiple choice questions.

I wish all the good, responsible personal trainers would stop getting involved with Crossfit and let all the Level 1 "coaches" Crossfit continues to certify give that organization the bad reputation it deserves!
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    Three months is a really long commit for a class you've never tried, especially when you haven't been going to a gym.

I hope they let you have a refund if you decide that Crossfit isn't for you!
  • Sefrick
    Sefrick Posts: 11
    Options
    The greatest thing about CrossFit is that ANYONE can do it; from teen girls to college athletes, to senior citizens. Just know your limitations at pace yourself. I think when it comes to weight loss and overall fitness CrossFit is head and shoulders above the rest.
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    There is NOTHING original about Crossfit. It is just a COMPANY BRAND that is using exercises that have been around forever, taking the exercise routines to the extreme, and trying to make people think it's something new and different.

My advice is forget about Crossfit and shop around for a good bootcamp type exercise program at the YMCA and your local gyms. They probably won't cost nearly as much as Crossfit, or be so extreme.

I know reasonable people that got hurt doing Crossfit because the coaches kept yelling at them to do the routines harder and faster, and cannot recommend that organization to anyone.
  • sjam720
    sjam720 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I must agree that some crossfit gyms aren't that great. You really should do a trial before committing. I've heard of some people who had bad experiences with crossfit trainers.

Before I started crossfit, I was a frequent runner and did at home bootcamp style workouts(following online daily workouts). I noticed I wasn't getting the results I'd like. I felt like I was plateauing and I REALLY want to be tone! I went into my first crossfit class, very skeptical and I thought I was fit enough to handle the workout. They gave me a toned down version of their workout and I was sore for the next few days! After doing 1-2 months I started noticing muscle gain and definition. It's the first time that I felt like i saw results very quickly. After 3 months I started Myfitnesspal and noticed even more results and more definition.

I won't say I know a lot about fitness workouts etc... But having a class and a trainer who pushes you really helps! I would not have pushed myself as hard if I worked out by myself. I think of crossfit as something similar to having a good personal trainer. You can get similar results if you hired a personal trainer or joined a bootcamp class that incorporates heavier weights. I think the reason to why I gained quick results with crossfit is that we had different workouts everyday(I went 3-4 days a week), lift heavy and doing cardio with weights. Just make sure you're cautious enough not to injury yourself.
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    Any exercise program that gets people in shape fast by pushing them to do intense workouts has a significant risk of injury.

I know a few people that got pretty bad shoulder injuries from heavy overhead lifting in Crossfit. So while the heavy lifting may benefit some people, it can injure others to the point they have to take weeks or months off from exercising and have to go through surgery or physical therapy to get back to the place they were before they started Crossfit.

Since you (the OP) are new to going to the gym, my advice would be to start with a less extreme program than Crossfit.
  • Sefrick
    Options
    I've never seen CrossFit classes. What I'd recommend is doing some research online about the various exercises and routines (actually there are no routines, that's whats unique about the style of training). You can find alot of the exercises on youtube and even segments of the annual CrossFit competition. I'd recommend working with a trainer initially to learn some of the olympic lifts and some of the medicine ball exercises.

Like I said before, ANYONE can do CrossFit, but you MUST pace yourself. Based on that, I wouldn't recommend a class, especially if you're getting yelled at to push to the edge of your limits. Pushing yourself to the edge of your limits comes with time.
  • alissadough84
    alissadough84 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love CrossFit next month for me with be a year at my box :). I have already lost close to 40 pounds, toned up and have muscles in places that I never thought I would. All around, I look leaner and feel amazing.

Don't be scared! The best part about CrossFit is that it can be scaled to anyone's fitness ability. When I started I sucked, but now I am surprised by things that my body can do. You will do great!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Unless you're very good with form and technique, Crossfit isn't a place to start. Even with people who've lifted for 6 months with no corrections on small issues on their form have gotten hurt from my experience. And it's usually not a minor injury. Torn labrums, injured rotators, patella injuries, torn meniscus', low back, etc.
    I'm not saying the seasoned lifters who know how to lift correctly can't benefit from it, but if people are joining because they want to get better muscle conditioning, and ripped up, it's not necessary since you can do a decent program at any gym and be consistent on a good eating regimen.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Apparently Health Gal has some issues with Crossfit...

The atmosphere is what is most helpful to me, as I turn in a better workout when I have others to push me. Kind of like team sports. The biggest thing to remember is make sure you only go as fast and as far as good form will allow. A good coach will help you with that target. Random excitable *kitten* coach who got his certification from the cereal box will not. If you have the former, you will be very happy. If you have the latter, be very careful, and then look fr a better box at the end of your 3 months. It frequently takes that long to do the beginner classes where you learn the lifts and exercises, anyway. Good luck, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options

The atmosphere is what is most helpful to me, as I turn in a better workout when I have others to push me. Kind of like team sports. The biggest thing to remember is make sure you only go as fast and as far as good form will allow. A good coach will help you with that target. Random excitable *kitten* coach who got his certification from the cereal box will not. If you have the former, you will be very happy. If you have the latter, be very careful, and then look fr a better box at the end of your 3 months. It frequently takes that long to do the beginner classes where you learn the lifts and exercises, anyway. Good luck, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
    I think the issue is how do you know if the coach is good or not? There may be a coach who's a total militant jerk, but is very good a instructing form and technique, or a "rah, rah" you're doing great coach who makes one feel good who doesn't know jack about actual lifting form or technique.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options

I think the issue is how do you know if the coach is good or not? There may be a coach who's a total militant jerk, but is very good a instructing form and technique, or a "rah, rah" you're doing great coach who makes one feel good who doesn't know jack about actual lifting form or technique.

I guess a smart person would watch a class or two and evaluate the coaches. It isn't rocket science. If one lacks the knowledge to figure it out from watching, I imagine one would learn from experience during the 3 month trial period. If one still can't tell, there's not much hope for said individual, is there?

I really have no idea why this is such a polarizing topic... If it doesn't appeal to you, don't try it. If it does, why the hell not? The are just as many horrible personal trainers strutting around gyms as there could be bad crossfit coaches. I doubt a Zumba class has never had somebody pull a muscle or turn an ankle at some point. The point is, there is risk of injury with ALL physical activity, it is up to each participant to select the activities that appeal to them and make sure they are doing it as correctly as possible. Yes, instruction counts, but ultimately the selection of the coach falls under the umbrella of personal responsibility.
  • Sefrick
    Options

"make sure you only go as fast and as far as good form will allow. A good coach will help you with that target." Couldn't have said it better. And you used the word "douchbag" - I like this guy! ^
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    I really have no idea why this is such a polarizing topic... If it doesn't appeal to you, don't try it. If it does, why the hell not? The are just as many horrible personal trainers strutting around gyms as there could be bad crossfit coaches. I doubt a Zumba class has never had somebody pull a muscle or turn an ankle at some point. The point is, there is risk of injury with ALL physical activity, it is up to each participant to select the activities that appeal to them and make sure they are doing it as correctly as possible. Yes, instruction counts, but ultimately the selection of the coach falls under the umbrella of personal responsibility.

If someone is just starting to exercise and go to the gym, they have no way of knowing whether the instructor knows what they are doing or not. They have no experience to judge it by. And for a person that is trying to lose weight and get in shape and is new to going to the gym, the thing you DON'T want is to be in an extreme fitness class -- whether it's Crossfit or something else -- and have an instructor that doesn't know what the heck they are doing or how hard a newcomer can push their body without causing a serious risk of injury.
  • cfbiii64
    cfbiii64 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Crossfit gyms are run by people...some good, some bad. If they are pushing you to sign up for 3 months right away, I would be nervous.

I personally love Crossfit and the PEOPLE in my gym. Story about my gym...the owner was helping a woman way overweight...not charging her for the first month...the workouts consisted of BUILDING confidence and comfort with the idea of being in the gym. I saw the end of one "workout"...consisted of sitting and standing with a 2.5kg weight in her lap...

Go slow and if you are pushed beyond what you are comfortable move on...like any gym.

I wonder how quick the MFP resident CrossFit hater will step up to the plate on this one!