Improving my long-distance running time / BF%

Options
Okay, so even when I was obese I was always active but since then I've lost 50 lbs, although, I still have about 30-50 lbs left to go (depending on where I feel is good to stop). The problem is, as a result of always being active, to lose weight for me, it was more than just getting up off my couch and not eating potato chips. I never ate junk food, I ate too much healthy food. And I always exercised so it's actually been a little bit harder for me to lose the weight, I think. On to the actual running part:

I enjoy long-distance running greatly but I've come to the realization that as of right now, I don't think my time is going to improve until I've brought my body fat percentage down to increase my V02 max. This is frustrating/discouraging for me because weight loss is slow as I've explained.

Now in my situation, do you think I could improve my running time during weight loss? Because I feel like I'm just at the peak of my fitness for my current weight and that is the only thing holding me back. But I'm wondering if anyone else has had experience with this or knows.

I weigh between 170 lbs - 165 lbs
I have between 30 lbs - 50 lbs more to lose
160 lbs and under will be normal weight for me
My height is 5'5''
I'm 21 years old
My resting heart rate is 52

Let me know if anymore information is needed. And also, please ignore my ticker thing, it is massively wrong and I forgot to change it again before I started asking this question and I just realized that.

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    What distances are you doing?
    What does your training look like?

I am the same height as you and I started out where you are. I continued to run the entire time and improved.

Why do you feel you need to stop running or cut back? I'm not sure I understand.
  • v6ikelind
    v6ikelind Posts: 14
    Options
    I don't feel like I need to stop running or cut back, I feel like my running time will not improve unless I lower my body fat percentage to increase my v02 max because I feel I am at the peak fitness level for my current weight.

I switch up my running quite a bit depending on my work schedule so I do anywhere from 1 mile to a 10k in an average week. Even though I push myself hard during a run, I cannot seem to get passed a certain time - even by a second and as I've mentioned, I feel like that's due to the fact that I simply need to lower my bf% to increase my v02 max.

I've tried a lot of the tricks like working on sprinting and doing intervals and making sure I switch up my distances but nothing seems to work. I have never run on a treadmill either, I only run outdoors.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I totally had a reading fail. I apologize (in my defence I have a head cold).
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it might be more of a training issue. You shouldn't be pushing yourself to your fastest every run, you will get burnt out that way. You should be able to comfortably carry on a conversation during your long runs. No doubt losing extra weight will drop your times, but you should be able to make gains regardless. What are your times like now?
  • v6ikelind
    Options
    It's okay, it happens. Hope you get better :)
  • v6ikelind
    Options
    Oh, I don't push myself every run. I just meant when I'm really trying to test myself for my time I really push myself but every time I try I can't beat it by even a second. When I run I can actually comfortably carry on a conversation too. I understand that as a runner you can't expect everyday to be your best time but when I go months without even a decrease in my time by a second, it's a little discouraging needless to say.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    Options
    Oh, I don't push myself every run. I just meant when I'm really trying to test myself for my time I really push myself but every time I try I can't beat it by even a second. When I run I can actually comfortably carry on a conversation too. I understand that as a runner you can't expect everyday to be your best time but when I go months without even a decrease in my time by a second, it's a little discouraging needless to say.

Understandable. Do you strength train as well? Lunges, squats, and planks really helped my times. That and running hill repeats.
  • v6ikelind
    Options
    I do have a strength training routine as well that I make sure to switch up on occasion too so my muscles don't get too used to it. I can actually see the beginning of abs under the chub that's left even.

I also am living in Florida right now which is a little bit of a disadvantage as it's flat as a pancake. I used to live in New York and desperately miss trail runs and hills. Do you think this has something to do with my lack of improvement? I thought maybe running in the Florida heat would balance out the lack of hills..?
  • ThickMcRunFast
    Options
    Could be the flat land, I went for years with no improvement when I lived in Ohio. Being able to run up mountains in California has helped me, but you should still be able to drop your times with intervals. Any running clubs or groups around you? Sometimes running your tempo runs with people who push your pace a little will make you speed up a bit. You can also look up some track workouts if you have access to a track, and throw in some plyometrics.
  • v6ikelind
    Options
    I also do plyometrics so I have that in there as well. I tried to go running with my fiance but even though he is way thinner/leaner than me, he isn't really at my level yet so he fell behind and it didn't work out well. I never thought of clubs though, I'll have to look that up because I know I don't have access to a track.