Metabolism boosters

Options
Do they work/help?
Which ones do you use, and would recommend?
What side effects do you think I should be aware of?
There are so many choices out there, I just don't know which one works the best, plus I'm also worried about side effects, but if I could lose the weight a little faster that would be so great.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Stop thinking about how quickly you can lose weight and start focusing on healthy lifestyle changes that you can maintain.
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Exercise, and the side effects are awesome.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    You cannot boost your metabolism. However, muscle does burn calories more effectively than fat - so for a better burn, add some kind of strength training to your exercise program. I use Pilates to develop core muscles.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Move more. Not just exercise. Walk as much as possible. Dance around when you clean. Use the stairs. Increasing your non exercise activity has a huge effect.
  • JewelSmith
    JewelSmith Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Pick up some weights and build some muscle..
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Getting up and moving and using/building your muscles is the best metabolism booster there is. (Plus getting plenty of sleep.) My FitBit and it's little nudges it gives me to keep moving and meet my step/calorie burn goals has been a great motivator.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Do they work/help?
    There are so many choices out there, I just don't know which one works the best, plus I'm also worried about side effects, but if I could lose the weight a little faster that would be so great.

If it were that easy everyone would do it .

Just eat right, move more, and add in some strength training.
  • knittingwitch
    knittingwitch Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Do they work/help?

I'm not talking about taking a magic pill to make all the fat go away on its own, I'm talking about something to help me lose weight with what I am already doing. Honestly do you think I lost 34 lbs sitting on my hands all day eating junk food like a pig?
    The only way every one would be doing it is if they didn't have to change there eating habits and didn't have to workout at all, people are looking for that magic bullet to get them to lose weight with little to no effort on their part with outrageous speed.
    That is not what I am looking for, I am looking for something that would just help, not do the work for me.
    I am doing cardio, and strength training, I workout 6 days a week for about an hour each day, I have an active life style I don't even get to sit at my job. I also get 8+ hours of sleep, but I am tired of waiting.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Save your money.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Do they work/help?

I'm not talking about taking a magic pill to make all the fat go away on its own, I'm talking about something to help me lose weight with what I am already doing. Honestly do you think I lost 34 lbs sitting on my hands all day eating junk food like a pig?
    The only way every one would be doing it is if they didn't have to change there eating habits and didn't have to workout at all, people are looking for that magic bullet to get them to lose weight with little to no effort on their part with outrageous speed.
    That is not what I am looking for, I am looking for something that would just help, not do the work for me.
    I am doing cardio, and strength training, I workout 6 days a week for about an hour each day, I have an active life style I don't even get to sit at my job. I also get 8+ hours of sleep, but I am tired of waiting.

You're doing it the way it needs to be done.
    What are you looking for exactly??
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    But all good things come to those who wait.

Seriously, taking a pill isn't worth it. They make you fill jittery, can raise your blood pressure, make it hard to sleep. You might gain when you go off them. Just keep doing what you are doing and be patient.
  • cschiff
    cschiff Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Well, it seems that when I drink coffee or green tea I have more bowel movements (sorry if that is TMI lol). I'm not sure if that is me revving up my metabolism or not, but I like that it helps me to feel "cleaned out," if you will. I have heard that green tea can boost metabolic rate, as well as cayenne pepper or other spicy foods, but I'm not sure.

For me, I drink coffee and tea because I love the taste and if it happens to have an added bonus I'm game.

I hope I have helped a little. :) Best of luck to you!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Patience. You are doing this the correct way.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Do they work/help?

Waiting for what?

Maybe you should focus less on weight and more on expanding your physical capabilities.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    but I am tired of waiting.

Everyone is tired of waiting. There are no shortcuts.
  • ReLearnFood
    Options
    the best metabolism booster is to equip your bodies natural biochemical processes to work efficiently.
    there are a number of books as well as natural supplements that are all based on sound science and research as well as being safe and banned substance free. think of your body as a old furnace that runs on wood/coal. you have to get the fire started before you can through a big log on the fire, and you have to have a 'mature' fire going if you want to throw a water soaked piece of wood on it.
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 220 Member
    Options

Yup, this ^^^.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options

Yes this^^

You didn't get overweight overnight, right? You won't reach your goals overnight, either. You should be proud of your progress and focus on making the things you're doing a permanent lifestyle change -- and then go out and inspire others! And not worry about how fast you're losing. Losing fast leads to saggy skin, bone density loss, anemia, etc. etc. You don't want those things, right? You're losing weight to be healthy, right? Well, you're healthier now. Embrace it! Live a long, healthy, happy life by doing exactly what you're doing. No short cuts are going to help you be healthier. If you want a little energy boost, drink some coffee. Otherwise, keep doing what you're doing, because you're doing a great job.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

The most important thing for fat loss is patience! There's no magic pill for that either!
  • knittingwitch
    knittingwitch Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Okay guys I went and asked the people form the GNC and they where able to answer my questions.
    I have decided based on what he told me about how they work I will not be using them.