1oz

Options
hi can somebody tell mw how much is one ounce. is it a handful a teaspoonful, soory for being so ignorant.
i just dont know
thanks.

Replies

• BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Are you referring to fluid ounces or ounces of weight? Unless you are talking about fluid ounces, you can't translate ounces directly to a measurement. One ounce of different foods will be different sizes, so it needs to be measured with a kitchen scale.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Are you referring to marshmallows or gold? feathers or concrete?

Water is 8 ounces per cup. Beyond that, read the package or get a scale.
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    28 grams.

It's a weight so it would depend on the item if 1oz ends up being a teaspoon or whatever.

If you're measuring food atm, look into a cheap food scale and start measuring things. I measure all kinds of things just because I'm curious! It's interesing to see how much something weighs/how much liquid something is, etc.
  • James_1954
    James_1954 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    A volume ounce is six teaspoons, or two tablespoons. A weight ounce is one-sixteenth of a pound.

Not very convenient numbers. Anybody for changing over to the metric system? Let's do it yesterday, folks!
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    An ounce can be a weight, approx. 28 grams, or it can be a fluid ounce, around 30 ml (US).
    Get a scale and a measuring cup to be sure.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    A volume ounce is six teaspoons, or two tablespoons. A weight ounce is one-sixteenth of a pound.

Not very convenient numbers. Anybody for changing over to the metric system? Let's do it yesterday, folks!

Not helpful unless shes just measuring water. A volume tablespoon of gold would weigh more than an ounce....a volume cup of feathers would weigh less than 8ounces.
    she needs to get a kitchen scale...metric or not. (I vote not....but that's me...)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    28 grams.

It's a weight so it would depend on the item if 1oz ends up being a teaspoon or whatever.

If you're measuring food atm, look into a cheap food scale and start measuring things. I measure all kinds of things just because I'm curious! It's interesing to see how much something weighs/how much liquid something is, etc.

Actually there are fluid ounces, which are volume and weight ounces.
  • stargazer008
    Options
    Get a kitchen scale, they are extremely helpful. One ounce is 28 grams if you are wondering.
  • James_1954
    Options

Not helpful unless shes just measuring water. A volume tablespoon of gold would weigh more than an ounce....a volume cup of feathers would weigh less than 8ounces.
    she needs to get a kitchen scale...metric or not. (I vote not....but that's me...)

Uhhhhh ... sorry, but a volume ounce is six teaspoons, regardless of the material. Similarly, a weight ounce is one-sixteenth of a pound, regardless of the material. Weight and volume are different physical quantities. In a rational system, the units of their measurement would not have the same name. (See the metric system.) Unfortunately, the "English" system ain't rational. Result: confusion of just this sort.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I heard google can help you with that.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    1 oz = 30 grams approx, this is one conversion site I use

http://www.unitconversion.org/index.html

There are sites if you google - how much does a cup of flour weigh or similar - then some conversion sites will come up and tell you how much a certain amount of ingredient equals. I didn't keep the link I used, sorry

Edited to add - getting a digital scale is a great help. As is metric - do it!!!! We converted from Imperial to Metric in Australia quite a while ago now - at first it was tricky, but is it easy to use, honestly :smile:
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I heard google can help you with that.

QFT
  • James_1954
    Options
    ... As is metric - do it!!!! We converted from Imperial to Metric in Australia quite a while ago now - at first it was tricky, but is it easy to use, honestly :smile:

Thank you, Christine S.! Regrettably, I don't see the US ever going metric. Have you seen the movie "Idiocracy?" It's about my dear native land, sad to say.
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    James_1954 wrote:
    Regrettably, I don't see the US ever going metric.

The US is more metric than it was. There are examples of metric increases in:
    military
    science
    medicine
    aviation
    retail
    transport.

It would be a lot quicker if voluntary 100% metrication in supermarkets wasn't illegal.
  • maximooo
    maximooo Posts: 9
    Options
    thanks for all your replies and comments i bought a food weighing scales and now weigh everything, its been an eye opener.
    thank u all.