Biking 50+ advice

Options
kskroch
kskroch Posts: 288 Member
ok, I did it. I bought myself a bike for exercise - one of my goals for the year.

I've not had a bicycle since college.

I'm going to throw it open for advice to make this a positive experience !

Replies

• billymcd
    billymcd Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Rembember to look over your shoulder....and don't fall off!!! Lol

On a more serious note....used to live in Holland and cycled everywhere. If you do embark on a long journey....remember you have cycle home again!!!
  • timpicks
    timpicks Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Here's a couple of tips:

1. Get some basic equipment like a helmet, padded shorts, and some bike gloves. Head injuries are forever and you don't want to associate your new bike with pain. High visibility clothing is also a good idea, as well as lights front and back.

2. Use your gears so you don't put undue stress on your knees. When it gets too hard to pedal up that hill, change gears. Sounds simple, but sometimes the instinct is to go macho when challenged and that can hurt you.

3. When you are comfortable, consider getting pedals with cleats on them and bike shoes. It provides a much more balanced leg exercise than just exerting pressure on the down stroke. I have pedals that take cleats on one side and have regular pedal pads on the other and use mountain bike shoes on my road bike because it is easier to walk with them.

4. Learn how to do basic bike maintenance like changing tires and greasing your chain. Nothing fancy, but a few basic things will keep your bike on the road, working better and out of the shop.

5. Start slow and safe, and work your way up. If you have a heart rate monitor, use it to see how your body is responding. Try to ride regularly and not just on the weekends. And try to find a bike path or trail that is safe so you are not competing for roadway space with cars or pedestrians.

Good luck and send me a message if I can provide anything else.
  • Irene_1
    Irene_1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I love my bike. When the snow goes I use it as transportation to work. Enjoy.
  • ThomasNMn
    ThomasNMn Posts: 37
    Options
    I added some more advice on your wall post, but thought of a couple more things. One way that can be really beneficial in getting comfortable with riding is to join a local bicycle club. Here in Minnesota, there are tons, and from what I can tell from Google, it also seems to be the same in Wisconsin.

Check out:

http://bfw.org/for-your-ride/bike-clubs/
    http://www.anythingwisconsin.com/wibikeclubs.htm
    http://www.race360.com/clubs/listings.asp?st2=WI&sort=name&clubtype=Cycling
    http://personalpages.tds.net/~rherbst/

Also, the shop where you bought your bike might have some organized rides.

The way in which group rides are helpful is that you can pick up tips that can help keep you safe when riding, in traffic, in large numbers, how to proceed around other bicyclists, the rules of the road, gear that can make bicycling more comfortable and just general camaraderie. Most of these clubs have riders of all levels and experience, and you'll be surprised how friendly they are. The goal is that everyone has fun bicycling.

Start off slow and don't push yourself too hard at first. Make your first ride short and sweet - maybe a few miles to a local coffee shop, take a rest and then a nice leisurely ride back. This will let your stamina build up and prevent you from getting burned out. It will also help you determine if your clothes work or if you need to think about getting some protective clothes for your more sensitive areas. :)~ - Mostly the butt!!!!

If you pace yourself and remember it's not a race, but a ride, you'll find that you build up distance and speed pretty quickly. Don't worry about keeping up with the others. Just have fun and embrace your surroundings.

Keep us posted on how the first ride goes? If next weekend's weather forecast is any indication here, you should be able to ride within a week or two - but watch out for ice/slick spots!
  • mostaverage
    mostaverage Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    ^
    ^
    ^
    Sound advice!

Your first time back on the bike, go somewhere safe from traffic, like a park or cycle path just to give yourself some room to get your balance back again. Don't over reach yourself , keep the speed down and the distance small, build gradually. You dont want to hurt yourself and put you off cycling again. Enjoy it and you will feel the difference really quick ! :-)
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Ride against the wind, or uphill first, so you have the wind at your back or are going downhill when you're tired!
    I know, not always possible.

Enjoy your bike. If you want to become a hardcore cyclist, then disregard what I have to say, but if you want the bike for exercise and fun, then I'd suggest you seek out some bike paths. We have rail trails that keep us out of traffic and go through some nice areas.
  • ThomasNMn
    Options

3. When you are comfortable, consider getting pedals with cleats on them and bike shoes. It provides a much more balanced leg exercise than just exerting pressure on the down stroke. I have pedals that take cleats on one side and have regular pedal pads on the other and use mountain bike shoes on my road bike because it is easier to walk with them.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with getting cleats - at least right away. The cleats are definitely something that takes getting used too. Cleats are how I ended up with a broken clavicle. They are helpful - especially if you have a bad knee, but they also can be dangerous.

If you do decide to get cleats - make sure you are used to your bike first and then practice in a safe spot away from others. Also, when first learning about cleats, it's helpful to stay un-cleated until you feel that you can comfortable get out of them quickly if need be. It only take second for the unexpected to happen and if you are clicked in - you'll wipe out quickly.

Agreed on the helmet 100% - Don't be a daredevil.

Also, most people agree that it's best not to have ear buds in when riding - and to call out your intentions to other riders - if you are gonna stop - say stopping well before or if you pass, tell them - "Pass on Left".

Safety First!!!
  • kskroch
    Options
    Lots of good ideas! Thanks guys.

1. I'm thinking I'll start out by biking my walking (4-5 mile) route through my subdivision/industrial park and down to the river. Some elevation changes and little traffic on the weekends.

2. Helmet - Certainly. A motor cycle helmet saved my face if not my life when I had the accident. Don't have to sell me on the value of that.

3. Shorts - ooh really have a tough time getting use to that idea - those tight black lycra shorts, my weight loss sag and the moose knuckles - not a pretty picture guys.... They really help ?

4. Seat - another sensitive area of concern for the 'boys' and because of my SI joint issues - just need to give it a try. Looks like there are lot of options.

Snowing here today, looks better for next weekend.
  • 007bondage
    007bondage Posts: 631 Member
    Options

3. Shorts - ooh really have a tough time getting use to that idea - those tight black lycra shorts, my weight loss sag and the moose knuckles - not a pretty picture guys.... They really help ?

Check out some mountain biking shorts. They look like normal shorts, but with the padding (way more forgiving) :)

If you are thinking about riding for more than (say) an hour at a time, I'd suggest you take your bike along to the local bike shop and ask them if you have got the bike "setup" about right. Setup includes seat height, distance from the handlebars etc and basically just ensures that you will be comfortable, efficient and not cause progressive injuries from riding in the "wrong" position.

Keep us posted on your progress :)
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    My shorts are padded and look like Basketball shorts...a little baggy. I bought mine at Dyck's (deliberately misspelled for MFP nanny/censor) Sporting Goods.

I ride chat-covered trails so bike gloves are super important. Same for roads. If you take a dive you will try to catch yoruself and road rash your hands. Gloves are right up there ... second to helmet.

Pay attention to the wind...it can be a blessing and totally the opposite.
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Wear your helmet. I hit a rock and was thrown off. If I had not been wearing my helmet, I would have had a serious head injury. It cracked my helmet. My husband and I do a lot of bike riding in the summer. We enjoy it.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    If you are going to be riding for more than 30 minutes or so, you definitely need to invest in a good pair of riding shorts with a thick shammy. You can get the bib shorts that have straps that go over your shoulders if you don't want the flop over belly.
    Also make sure you get fitted for your bike correctly by a bike shop. A poor fit can cause joint injuries. Try out different saddles to find one that works best for you. My hubby has one with the open space and he likes it. You need to have your 'sit bones' measured to get a saddle that fits you just right.
    Start out slow and build your resistance and strength up. Take rest days and don't push too hard in the beginning. Your butt will hurt at first, but you will get used to it in time.

They also have 'comfort' saddles that have more padding than the race ones. I ride a recumbent, so I don't have to worry about that, but if I was on an upright, I would definitely go for more padding, as I have back and SI joint issues myself (thus the reason for the recumbent).
  • dondimitri
    dondimitri Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Cleats: If you are coordinated enough to ride a bike in a straight line (not a given) you are more than capable of using cleated shoes/pedals safely. In fact I think it may be more dangerous to use either pedals with no retention capability (you can slip off the front and do a real number on yourself) or pedals with old-fashioned toe-clips and straps (they are actually harder to use safely and correctly than modern cleated shoes/pedals).

There are some set-up issues that you need to be aware of. One of these is the tension adjustment between cleat and pedal. Too much tension will have you falling over at the first stop light. Another is getting the alignment of the cleat on the shoe correct for your individual biomechanics.

A decent bike shop should be able to get your shoes/cleats/pedals set correctly.

If your set up is correct then 15 minutes in an empty parking lot practicing stepping in/out, starting from both feet on the ground, stopping, stepping out, rinse and repeat several times should have you ready for the real world although you may want a gentle bike trail as opposed to the street for the first couple of rides.

One of the most important tricks to remember is, when slowing to a stop, click out (step out) of a pedal prior to coming to a complete stop. Failure to do so may have you on your side with a bunch of people in cars looking at you with frowns on their faces. You usually only make that mistake once, early on, in your cleated shoe/pedal career.... Good luck.
  • dondimitri
    dondimitri Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Gloves: I agree that gloves are very important. I consider them to be a primary piece of safety equipment. I won't go for a ride without them. All you need is one incident picking yourself up off of the road with the skin on the palms of your hands peeled back like the top on a sardine can and you will agree with me.

Eye protection: Another primary piece of safety equipment. I have lost track of the number of times that either pebbles from passing cars, or insects, have hit my eye-pro over the years. Thinking of my eyes taking some of those hits makes me queasy. Get eye-pro with changeable lenses so you can use a clear lens on a cloudy day. (Amber lenses work well on cloudy days also.)
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Random tips from a Tree-

-On your typical road bike you should be setup to have 1/3 your weight on your feet 1/3 on your sit bones, and 1/3 on your hands. Apparently this is what makes it a "saddle" instead of a "seat."

-When starting out after the spring thaw in you know June (former MI tree here) take it slow to get your butt acclimated. A couple miles here and there for a few weeks, then build up. Your saddle will always seem uncomfortable for the first few rides.

-"Padded" shorts are actually more about chafing prevention than padding. Although the padding is a nice bonus. Chafing is a terrible terrible thing. If you plan on going for longer rides get some chamois cream. I like Doc's.

-Gel saddles are awesome for unacclimated sitbones for shorter rides (it will still hurt the first few though.) On longer rides MMV (no pun intended) but you will get to a point where it makes your happy parts go numb/hurt. This makes them less happy. This is why you just might as well find a good saddle in the first place. :smile:
  • kskroch
    Options
    Ok, looking at bike shorts. But I think i'll be bringing along a long shirt or something to cover up if I stop anywhere.... good bike shorts seem expensive ?

yea, with this weather they better be long pants for a couple more months....
  • ThomasNMn
    Options
    Nashbar

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/SubCategory_10053_10052_202483_-1_202329_202357

Cheaper bicycling shorts. They usually have clearance/closeout deals as well.

Re: The cleats. I knew someone was going to dispute my opinion. :). It's strictly my opinion - I personally don't like them and I know others that don't like them either. I knew how to use them, but because of another rider's unexpected actions, I didn't have time to click out and whammo - I paid the price. I'd rather have the option of not being clicked in and being able to use my legs to defend myself. They can be beneficial definitely, but they aren't my thing.
  • kskroch
    Options
    I'm a little leery of the cleats to start out with, advanced topic I think.

hard to think of shorts right now with it still in the twenties and snowing.... but I see they are practical, along with the gloves.

Cool! Can't wait to try it out!
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Ok, looking at bike shorts. But I think i'll be bringing along a long shirt or something to cover up if I stop anywhere.... good bike shorts seem expensive ?

Yep. Bike shorts are definitely an item where you get what you pay for. If you ever break down and try the really nice ones ($150+), you will never go back to the cheaper ones.
    I'm a little leery of the cleats to start out with, advanced topic I think.

They definitely take a little getting used to. When you go riding without them and the first time you hit a pothole and your foot flies off the pedal or your foot slips off during a steep climb, you will understand what they are for.
    I knew how to use them, but because of another rider's unexpected actions, I didn't have time to click out and whammo - I paid the price. I'd rather have the option of not being clicked in and being able to use my legs to defend myself .

That's true of cycling in general. Another rider's unexpected actions can cause you to crash whether you are clipped in or not. That's one of the reasons that cyclists are slow to accept new riders: they know and trust the people they ride with routinely and know they will not do anything stupid that causes others to get hurt. New riders have not earned that trust yet.
  • CentralCaliCycling
    CentralCaliCycling Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Start out riding short distances mostly to get used to starting and stopping.

Ride in areas that have little to no traffic and a very wide shoulder or bike lane.

When you start riding for more than 20-30 minutes you will want to think about bike shorts.

Ride at least three to four times a week, make it a habit.

Once you have gotten to the point you are feeling comfortable think about getting cleats (they really are easy to get out of and make you so much more efficient). The best way to get used to cleats is a trainer where the bike stays up while you practice getting in and out of the pedal. If you do not have a trainer available go back to your road with little to no traffic and practice kicking out of your pedal at speed and then as you go slower (remember, foot out of the cleat before stopping).

I think several people mentioned padded bike shorts,,, some mentioned high priced ones - I strongly agree (mountain biking shorts if you have to but high end road shorts will make the difference between being comfortable and not over time and distance.