1400 calories over my budget!? What do I do?

Options
I've gone 1400ish calories over my budget, do I excercise all night? Or reduce my caloric intake tomorrow? I'm afraid of ruined my goal of losing three pounds during my Spring Break.

Replies

• HappyGrape
    HappyGrape Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Neither. Deep breath, put it behind and start fresh tomorrow.
  • pushyourself14
    pushyourself14 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    The best thing you can do is just relax and start new tomorrow :) Everyone slips up, just make sure you enjoy it and start fresh the next day.
  • ltowne
    ltowne Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Don't worry.....it happens. Tomorrow is a new day.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Start over tomorrow. But don't say "Screw it, I'm going to eat even MORE tonight because I already blew it.". Really, start over this second.

I find punishing yourself for overeating by severely restricting calories the next day or by working out nonstop is a terrible thing. You feel bad about yourself, are miserable because you're hungry, and lose dedication. Forgive yourself and move on. One day of overeating won't end things.
  • OLeoLionessO
    Options
    I did that yesterday. I was like 50 calories under my set amount, then I went to NativeNewYorker with a friend. Let's just say I've been extremely reluctant to put my midnight snack in the log. Probably ate over 1000s calories last night alone....I did so well that day too, went on a 20 mile bike ride and everything.
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Move on but try to burn off those extra calories over the course of the next few days. It won't look like it balances out on your diary but that might help counteract the additional calories in the long run. It's not just calories in versus calories burned on a daily basis...it's overall so you still have time to work it off.
  • NikinCilla
    NikinCilla Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. Start again tomorrow. Treat day and tomorrow its all on. You can do it!!!
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I am out of town this weekend. I knew I would struggle, and I have. Then, truck breaks down last night. Left wife and one child in one town, me and another ride the tow truck 60 miles in hopes of getting it fixed today. I have totally said to beck with it. This weekend is a total bust. I'll get a k in the saddle tomorrow. So, in other words, move on and start fresh.
  • CrisAlex
    CrisAlex Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    A couple questions come to mind: Have you been severely restricting? Is your budget a realistic one? You don't want to get yourself in a vicious cycle of severe restricting and then overeating and then doing it again and again. And if it's just a one time or very rare instance, no biggie - we are all human.

In any case, I agree with the other posters that you just start fresh. If you feel bloated, eat lots of fresh foods and drink lots of water, continue your regular exercise, and you will be just fine!
  • suz155
    suz155 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    That was me yesterday. Today, I started a brand new day. I will eat right, do my normal exercise and just move on. To beat myself up, will not help me. And it won't help you. Hang in there.
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Move on, and learn for next time. But, how long is spring break? If it's just a week, 3 pounds may be expecting a lot.
  • Schmidty102
    Schmidty102 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    If you want to try to continue to be on track, you can do what I do. I don't pay attention to the green or red that MFP gives you. I pay attention to the overall week. I have 12,670 net calories I can consume in a week. Some days I go over the rough allowance of 1810 calories, and some days I go under. If there is a day I do really bad, I will exercise more the next day, and cut down a LITTLE on my calories. (THIS DOES NOT MEAN FAST THE NEXT DAY).
  • Sleepynita
    Options
    Tomorrow is a new day, start over and don't punish yourself over it.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    focus on your weekly intake, not daily.
    brush it off and move on.
    as long as you are not eating 1400 over every day then it's fine. you may see a spike in bloating and weight from sodium and food weight, other than that just drink water and move on.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    It's a marathon, not a sprint. Start fresh with the next meal and move on. We've all been there and done that on occasion. :bigsmile:
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Aww. Unless you eat 3500 MORE calories than you burn, you won't gain weight from it. Put it behind you and do better from here on out.
  • Pamko57
    Pamko57 Posts: 182
    Options
    Don't let a day turn into a week or a month. Get right back on the healthy eating with the next meal. Break that 1400 calories down into 7 day or 14 days and be under a 200 or 100. One of the reasons I try to stay under by about 100 a day is that I know life happens. Birthdays happen. This week, a meal out with my grandkids happened. I planned for it and was under the calorie budget but over what I normally eat.

This whole weight loss journey is about learning to live well in our lives. It's not realistic to think we are never going to eat out or entertain or attend a wedding or birthday party.

A dear friend's daughter, who is also my friend, as well as a FB friend and an MFP friend was beating herself for eating a 400 calorie cookie.

As I said to her, cookies happen. Just don't let the cookie (or whatever) become a spiral out of control
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Check your weekly calories. If you are still in your weekly caloric allotment, you will still lose weight.

If you are outside of your weekly caloric allotment and still under your TDEE, you will still lose weight.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Start over again tomorrow, eating your recommended calories. An extra 1400 isn't even half a pound.
  • fitnessfortash
    Options
    Neither. Deep breath, put it behind and start fresh tomorrow.
    [/quote
    Well said :)