Choosing to do that Lap-Ban...any concerns?

Options

Replies

• mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    ^^^This^^^ I had rny gastric bypass surgery and it saved my life. I was only 246 pounds, but as a Type I Diabetic with multiple other health issues, a small intestine with nerve damage, and kidney damage, it was my save. I had tried every diet known to man, including no food and i.v. nutrition. Because of other issues, there was zero weight loss and continued to gain. My endocrinologist referred me for the surgery and I have lost 86 pounds since they rerouted away from that dead small intestine and did a hernia repair also. I am not a lazy person and resent being called so. Just because one person can lose weight normally, does not mean that everyone else can. We are each individual. As far as lap band or any other weight loss procedure, do your homework, prepare your mind and body prior to surgery. Stick with the plan and work out any issues you have before going into it. Make sure you have a good surgical team and dietitian and follow up with them as instructed and you will do fine. I would not change what I did for anything.

I understand your resentment and MFP should be a judgement-free zone. In my personal opinion, weight loss surgery should be specifically for life saving cases like yours and I'm very glad you are on your way! Congratulations and may you continue to have success. A note to others that pass judgements: please resist the urge. Instead of passing judgement, offer encouragement or another way of approaching a problem.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    84 lbs is totally doable without surgery of course.

The lap band is a tool - it will definitely help you with the weight loss, the danger is more in overriding the band, if you use the band I totally support that decision, just know that you will have to make a lot of life style modifications or the weight will come back, however that being said I know a lot of people find it easier to begin the lifestyle changes with a weight loss aid - so I am all about that. Best wishes with your decision!!!
  • Cbiowriter
    Cbiowriter Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My aunt had something similar but put much of the weight back on over time. 2 issues she had were the habits weren't changed and the loss of muscle mass which is your calorie burner. People tried to convince me to do it. I chose instead to try to do it through calorie counting instead. I still have my ups and downs but feel I am learning more as I go. You will need to make your own decision but I would only use it as a last resort if you tried everything else.
  • kathuggs
    kathuggs Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    At my highest, I weighed 258lbs. I am 5'2"; 5'3" on a good day. At my heaviest, I honestly thought about Lapband, but I was too broke to really consider it. I also thought about my chances on the Biggest Loser. I had just had a baby and I couldn't think about leaving her. So, one day I just woke up and thought, "why not start today?". I started walking everyday, because it was all my body could handle at the time, and slowly but surely I tracked my food and started making better food choices. That was almost 4 years ago. I lost 65lbs that first year, then I had another baby. Gained a lot back. Last year, I got back on track, and I am down to 176 lbs. The lowest I've really been in 10+ years. It takes time. And patience. But the surgery will also take time and patience. It is no 'get skinny quick' kind of thing. Either way you decide to lose weight, you really have to get your mind in the right spot so you don't gain it back. Losing weight slower has helped me appreciate every last pound that has left my body, and I finally appreciate my body for what it is. I still have a ways to go, but it is refreshing to be in a mindset knowing that as long as I eat right and exercise, the weight will come off.
    I say, go for a walk today. Then tomorrow, go for another walk. Each day, take one little step in a healthier direction.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Well, I weighed 245 at my heaviest (and I am 5'1) and I've managed to lose without surgery, so honestly I know you can as well. But best of luck if you get approved. And just know you still have to tea h yourself new eating habits and get into a routine to exercise...especially if you plan on maintaining whatever you lose
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    ^^^This^^^ I had rny gastric bypass surgery and it saved my life. I was only 246 pounds, but as a Type I Diabetic with multiple other health issues, a small intestine with nerve damage, and kidney damage, it was my save. I had tried every diet known to man, including no food and i.v. nutrition. Because of other issues, there was zero weight loss and continued to gain. My endocrinologist referred me for the surgery and I have lost 86 pounds since they rerouted away from that dead small intestine and did a hernia repair also. I am not a lazy person and resent being called so. Just because one person can lose weight normally, does not mean that everyone else can. We are each individual. As far as lap band or any other weight loss procedure, do your homework, prepare your mind and body prior to surgery. Stick with the plan and work out any issues you have before going into it. Make sure you have a good surgical team and dietitian and follow up with them as instructed and you will do fine. I would not change what I did for anything.

I understand your resentment and MFP should be a judgement-free zone. In my personal opinion, weight loss surgery should be specifically for life saving cases like yours and I'm very glad you are on your way! Congratulations and may you continue to have success. A note to others that pass judgements: please resist the urge. Instead of passing judgement, offer encouragement or another way of approaching a problem.

Thanks. And I agree 110% that no surgery should be taken lightly. If weight loss can be achieved w/o surgery, don't do it. I am certainly NOT and advocate for it, unless the case is extreme. I can promise that it is not the easy way out. But....my kidneys are functioning at 87.8%, as opposed to 35% pre surgery, my insulin usage via the pump is down from 155+ units a day to 25 units a day, no more blood pressure, meds, cholesterol meds, thyroid meds, or heart meds. I can walk and breathe at the same time and am alive. I lost both my mom and sister to diabetic complications and I am thankful that I do not have to go that same route.
  • NanaWubbie
    NanaWubbie Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I do not want to discourage you, but everytime you have surgery, you take a risk... and if you do not take care of the issues that caused you to get heavy in the first place, this can add complications and still add weight - Seriously consider other means, I am sure you ahve tried all sorts of things, but have you tried getting a personal trainer to help you exercise and eat right? I know that it seems like a quick fix, and it can work, but in the end there are no such things as an easy solution.

I totally agree. I have a friend that has bypass surgery(multiple reasons why this over non surgery ways) and she said while in the hospital "DO WHAT EVER YOU HAVE TO DO TO AVOID THIS TYPE OF SURGERY". This type of surgery should be an ABSOLUTE last straw/I will die if I don't have it type of situation. Your weight is by no means a reason to have surgery if you are otherwise healthy. I have another friend who is WAY larger then you and she is down almost 100lbs by counting her calories and exercising. These type of surgeries are an absolute life changing situation. It doesn't matter if you do a surgery or not, if you don't learn how to control what you put into your body you aren't going to have success. In my opinion if there are not any type of horrible debilitating health issues these surgeries are for lazy people that aren't willing to make healthy, long term sustainable changes to their diets and lifestyle. I wish you luck on your future.

I had Roux-N-Y gastric bypass 10 years ago, and it saved my life. I honestly, in my heart of hearts know I could not have lost the weight without the surgery. Only you and your doctor know what is best for you. My experience was very positive, and 10 years later I am doing great! I did gain back a little weight over time, but that was because I let emotional eating back into my life.eating back into my life. I was able to get my emotional issues back under control because I do now have the tools now to do the job. I am 18 pounds above my goal of 135....and that's not bad considering I was almost 300 pounds 10 years ago. When you have surgery you must always keep in mind that if you start eating like you used to that you can wind up back where you started. Take care of you, and best of luck in your journey.
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    My mom qualifies for this surgery (she's morbidly obese and diabetic) and I'm highly against her getting it. Mostly because she's like the most horrific diabetic I've ever met with no intentions on changing the way she eats. Her diet consists of almost nothing but fast food, mountain dew, and snack cakes/donuts/cake etc and the thought of exercise is like the worst thing ever to her. Even suggesting we go for a walk is "too much" for her. I threw her under the bus to the doctor that told her she qualified, and he even told her himself that it wont work if she continues eating like she does.

I think it's one of those things that works if you want it too. it's a lifestyle change that you've got to commit to, just like any other way of losing weight is.
  • Iamworthinvestingin
    Iamworthinvestingin Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    what a great example of committment - thanks for the encouragement -
  • Iamworthinvestingin
    Iamworthinvestingin Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    you are a sweetheart- thanks for the encouraging words
  • Kateweighs138
    Options
    My best friend had lap. She's lost 70 pounds in a year. I sort of think of it as the "get rich quick" of weight loss. It's the easy way out... if it a healthy one? What really got me is she lost 16 pounds in the pre-surgery diet. I wish she would've realized if she could do that, she could do the rest! Without the surgical risk, the sacrifice in health, the incredible expense, the pain.

You've asked for concerns. Here are some I've seen:

- she can't eat enough to get adequate nutiriont
    - she's always hungry
    - she eats those teeny bird meals and gets grumpy from hunger/deprivation
    - she isn't fun to eat with. I may get crap for saying so, but I think you're asking for the whole truth. It kinds bites to be with someone who cannot enjoy a healthy "normal" meal or has a timer at the table. It's socially isolating and off-putting.
    - she isn't building muscle so she isn't looking shapely at all

The pro? Well hells belles, weight loss doesn't get any more passive, does it? If no-work weight loss is your only goal, go for it. If you have healthy goals, maybe choose to do something different on your own and YOU WILL GET THERE! Only you'll be healthy when you reach that finish line. :)

I wish you great luck and health, whatever you do!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    To keep the results permanently, you will have to change your lifestyle permanently. Therefore, why not just change your lifestyle today and skip the surgery altogether? You will have a higher chance of success that way as well.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I know of people who had both gastric bypass and lap band. Those who made the dietary modifications and starting eating real food in smaller portions and started exercising had success. Those who failed to make the lifestyle changes they needed to make didn't have success.

Kinda like the people who didn't have the surgery...

You're not that much overweight that you can't do it on your own with the right lifestyle changes. And then you won't have the GI side effects and risk of infection that comes along with that surgery...
  • DtexR
    DtexR Posts: 1
    Options
    Like others I have stories. But first - Dont Do It

A good friend of mine did it (as a last resort) and after about 4-5 months he died from complications connected to the procedure. Yes he was obease but he would still be alive today had he not done it. My wife did the by pass about 2 years ago. She preped like crazy starting 3-4 months before she even had the procedure, meaning she reduced her intake quantity but in the final month or so she was strickly liquid. This was all done at the advice of her surgeon who had undergone the procedue himself. She is 62 and realized she was going up and down with every fad available. She now worksout at least 5 times a week. This is a choice that she had to make and a process that requires her to stay with it for life. I also had an employee who did the by pass, lost 100+ pounds. Never given any advice for prep - following sutible recoverey was told you can eat anything just in smaller amounts. No guidance - and she is now back past her original weight having eatend what was bad and eaten too much causing her stomach to stretch back out. I repeat Dont do it --

PS. My wife is looking good but she totally changed her lifestyle.
  • summersbest
    summersbest Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I had RNY surgery over 6 months ago and it was the BEST decision I ever made. Due to health problems and the medication I had to go on I gained over 100lbs. I was actually told by the doctor at the weight loss clinic that no amount of exercise or diet would rid the weight. I di much research on my own and went to all the preparation appointments and groups beforehand so that I knew exactly what was expected of me post surgery. Has it been an easy journey? Absolutely not but no type of weight loss is and I knew I could never loose the weight on my own given my circumstances.

Don't let anyone else decide for you. It's very easy for some people to be against surgery but they have no idea what we have been through to try and loose the weight. Before I got sick I was 170lbs. I worked out regularly and for the most part watched what I ate but it was a struggle just to maintain that weight.

That said, I have relatives who have had both gastric bypass and the lap band surgery. Those that had the lap band have not been successful and have gained most of their weight back. Where I live the provincial government pays for the entire surgery process but only for RNY as the lap band has been deemed unsuccessful due to complications with the band and weight gained back. My advice is to research each surgery type very carefully so that you are making an informed decision.

I wish you luck with whatever decision you make.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    DON'T DO IT!!!! Be patient, change your eating and exercise habits, and be patient, and you can change for life. The lap band is a crutch.

This is a really stupid statement and extremely ignorant.
  • bbydl64
    bbydl64 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Had a friend that had it done. Continued to eat her normal foods. (hotdogs, ice cream etc ) just in smaller portions. Did not change her lifestyle. Did lose the weight initially but after 2 years of not changing her habits, gained it back. Good luck in your final decision.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I think that most people posting on this thread need to educate themselves before making judgments and statements about something they are so clearly ignorant about.
  • adudu
    adudu Posts: 17
    Options
    I do not want to discourage you, but everytime you have surgery, you take a risk... and if you do not take care of the issues that caused you to get heavy in the first place, this can add complications and still add weight - Seriously consider other means, I am sure you ahve tried all sorts of things, but have you tried getting a personal trainer to help you exercise and eat right? I know that it seems like a quick fix, and it can work, but in the end there are no such things as an easy solution.

I totally agree. I have a friend that has bypass surgery(multiple reasons why this over non surgery ways) and she said while in the hospital "DO WHAT EVER YOU HAVE TO DO TO AVOID THIS TYPE OF SURGERY". This type of surgery should be an ABSOLUTE last straw/I will die if I don't have it type of situation. Your weight is by no means a reason to have surgery if you are otherwise healthy. I have another friend who is WAY larger then you and she is down almost 100lbs by counting her calories and exercising. These type of surgeries are an absolute life changing situation. It doesn't matter if you do a surgery or not, if you don't learn how to control what you put into your body you aren't going to have success. In my opinion if there are not any type of horrible debilitating health issues these surgeries are for lazy people that aren't willing to make healthy, long term sustainable changes to their diets and lifestyle. I wish you luck on your future.

I could not agree more with you two. for the amount of money you are going to spend on the surgery, you can get a trainer for atleast 6moths. We shouldnt run to the quiest fix, Just because we have that solution it doesen't mean it is the right one. Please consider and try a persnal trainer before puting your health in a risk such as a non-medical surgery.
  • angelamotley
    Options
    i heard bad thing i am also thinking about it going to the meeting next week now im on here thinking about not even going the things that happend 2 few friends its scairry dont know what to do but i am 280 and need to be 260 at the max but we can do it if you want to add me !