can run on treadmill...

Options
I can run on a treadmill, but I find it SO difficult to run outside, even on a flat surface! I have no problem running for a full hour on a treadmill...Does anyone else have this problem?

Also, do you need an android or iphone to get the C25K app? Or is there a website you can use?

Thanks guys..

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If you *want* to run outside, set your treadmill to a hills interval run and do that for a while. Then head back out.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    If you want to run outside, then go run outside. Concrete doesn't have a moving surface that's doing 50% of the work for you. Don't worry, you'll adapt.

I bet you weren't able to run an hour on the treadmill when you first started either
  • Sefrick
    Sefrick Posts: 11
    Options
    If you *want* to run outside, set your treadmill to a hills interval run and do that for a while. Then head back out.

Yep... keep in mind that when you run on a treadmill the treadmill does half the work for you. The belt pushes your feet back on impact. I HATE treadmills but I live in Buffalo and I love to run. If I ever use one I set the grade to 1.5-2, then run. You'll see a difference.

Also, you're also exposed to elements when you're outside, it's not a controlled climate. Wind blows, as you run you have wind resistance...try to go faster; more resistance which makes it more challenging.

What I'd recommend is if you're in a climate that's conducive to running outside year round, make running outside your habit. Run on asphalt, gravel or grass...STAY AWAY from concrete surfaces.
  • boroko
    boroko Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Is it because you're running on hard pavements/roads? A good treadmill will cushion the impact. Have you tried running on grass?
  • nstubbs2010
    nstubbs2010 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you. I can knock out 30 minutes on the tred mill in no time but jogging outside is
    Completely different. I just suggest to run more out doors to
    Build your stamina. I use couch to 5k my ipod and its great.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    C25K web site. you can just use a watch to do it.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    just head outside to run. the others are right, the treadmill does a lot of work for you, but doing hill sprints on the machine may help.

if i may suggest, please avoid concrete. stick to asphalt, as it absorbs more impact. but if you have any forest trails in your area, hit those. you'll never want to be on a treadmill ever again.
  • hevhoyda
    hevhoyda Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    This happens to me every winter...It gets too cold I start running on the treadmill then when I head back outside again I just have to adjust ...If you just start with shorter runs and work your way up you'll be there in no time
  • erinpd
    erinpd Posts: 96
    Options
    I'm the opposite! I can run outside, but have a heck of a time running on the treadmill. I have a feeling it's because I can control my speed easier outside, so when I get tired, I just slow down. It's harder for me to do that on a treadmill, for some reason.
  • majoki
    majoki Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    What do people mean by saying that the treadmill does 50% of the work for you? Are you making the claim that running on a treadmill burns half as many calories given the same speeds, changes in elevation and time? Is this based on research? If so, I'd like to read it.
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I don't believe the treadmill does 50% of the work for you, but I haven't looked into it. I have read that setting the treadmill on 1% incline does equate it to running outside. I haven't tried it.

I run both outside and inside on the treadmill. I tend to run longer on the treadmill mostly because I can set the pace, outside I tend to run faster so it takes me less time to do my miles. Plus it's cold outside, which I'm sure plays a part in my ability to stay out running. So right now I prefer to do my long runs inside.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I find the treadmill easier because my pace is regulated. When I run outdoors, I tend to go faster (and faster!) and burn out too quickly. I need to work on my pacing.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone is making any claims about calories burned, but the movement itself is different on a treadmill than on the ground. A book I read recently on preventing running injury went so far as to say that pacing and miles should be built up on each separately (e.g. If I do the entire C25K program on the treadmill, I shouldn't expect to then run a 5K on asphalt without issues). Since I regularly run on both, I think I've done that naturally, but I think it could be an issue for someone who, say, lives in a place that actually has a winter, runs on a treadmill all winter, and then tries to do a long run on the asphalt come spring.

Anecdotally, I notice soreness in different parts of my body when I run on a treadmill vs. when I run on the ground. I also feel like I can run forever on a treadmill even though I keep within the same heart rate range as when I run outside.

To the previous poster: setting the incline to 1% makes a big difference for me. If I leave it at 0%, I end up with knee pain. I have no idea why that is, but it would be interesting if it were because the slight incline better mimics street running.
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options

To the previous poster: setting the incline to 1% makes a big difference for me. If I leave it at 0%, I end up with knee pain. I have no idea why that is, but it would be interesting if it were because the slight incline better mimics street running.

I keep seeing this, I'm going to have to try it.
  • 1980karen
    1980karen Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I was told when I first started training that running on a treadmill at 0% incline is like running downhill outside. I was told to put treadmill at 2% to make it the equivilant to running on flat outside. I always try to mix my running as I also find running outside harder but always feel like I've worked harder!
  • majoki
    majoki Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Ah, ok. I had heard about the 1.5% incline, but even 1% bothers my back (I had lower back surgery last summer). I put the incline at 5% because it's the most I can go without feeling it in my back right now.

I understand that the mechanics have to be different when you run on a treadmill vs outside; however, I didn't understand what the 50% refers to (and I still don't! ;) ).
    Happy running to all! =)
  • Sefrick
    Sefrick Posts: 11
    Options
    I'm the opposite! I can run outside, but have a heck of a time running on the treadmill. I have a feeling it's because I can control my speed easier outside, so when I get tired, I just slow down. It's harder for me to do that on a treadmill, for some reason.

I'm the same way! I despise treadmills! I'd rather run outside in 20 deg weather than run inside on a treadmill. I always feel like I'm going to lose my balance and fall, then wind up on Youtube,
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    "Anecdotally, I notice soreness in different parts of my body when I run on a treadmill vs. when I run on the ground. I also feel like I can run forever on a treadmill even though I keep within the same heart rate range as when I run outside."

^^^^I've found this too^^^^

Outside I feel it in my inner thighs and my right knee.
    On the treadmill I feel it in my thighs.

I use the different programs on my treadmill to get interval running and elevation changes.
    Besides dealing with the weather, I like using the treadmill because I can completely zone out. I don't have to pay attention to traffic, bicyclists, dogs chasing me or uneven pavement.
  • abc71
    abc71 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have exactly the same problem. I can't seem to translate the treadmill to real life! There is also no stretch of flat ground here in Seattle, so that messes with my endurance as well.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I have exactly the same problem. I can't seem to translate the treadmill to real life! There is also no stretch of flat ground here in Seattle, so that messes with my endurance as well.
    What about starting on a high school track?