Trader Joes

Options
2»

Replies

• hempbabyxo
    Options
    I'm just starting up. Should I do my healthy food shopping at trader joes? It's a little bit out of my way but I can do it.
  • susanpasq
    susanpasq Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's is a glorified snack bar. Not very much in the way of healthy. Just healthier versions of snacks.

And they aren't known for having good quality produce.

I buy wild caught salmon, tuna, cage free eggs, organic milk, Greek yogurt, bread, hummus - I think I come away with some pretty healthy stuff. Their organic gala apples have a great flavor. They have a nice assortment of frozen vegetables, some organic. Some of their canned goods are BPA free - corn, beans, tomatoes and more - even though not stated on the can. There are some snacks I love - the dark chocolate almonds, but then again dark chocolate does have some health benefits. The frozen lemon squares - ok, just a snack but a little one and SO GOOD.
    Unfortunately I live in a state where grocery stores can't sell wine, so no$3 buck Chuck for me.

The store just opened a few months ago, so I'm still finding what I like the best.
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's is a glorified snack bar. Not very much in the way of healthy. Just healthier versions of snacks.

And they aren't known for having good quality produce.

I buy wild caught salmon, tuna, cage free eggs, organic milk, Greek yogurt, bread, hummus - I think I come away with some pretty healthy stuff. Their organic gala apples have a great flavor. They have a nice assortment of frozen vegetables, some organic. Some of their canned goods are BPA free - corn, beans, tomatoes and more - even though not stated on the can. There are some snacks I love - the dark chocolate almonds, but then again dark chocolate does have some health benefits. The frozen lemon squares - ok, just a snack but a little one and SO GOOD.
    Unfortunately I live in a state where grocery stores can't sell wine, so no$3 buck Chuck for me.

The store just opened a few months ago, so I'm still finding what I like the best.

i think most everything at trader joe's is pretty healthful, and the produce beats my local safeway any day...

and the joys of CA...it's 2 buck chuck here!
  • jrupe47371
    jrupe47371 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My husband loves the cookie butter too!
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Taziki sauce (I know I spelled that wrong). I dip sugar plum or grape tomatoes in it. Roasted red pepper and tomato soup. Edemame. (sp? again lol) Veggie stix.
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    96% lean ground beef
    Frozen peppers
    Plain yogurt
    Corn tortillas
    Blue chips
    Pita bread
    Garbanzo beans
    Almond butter
  • kimmae17
    kimmae17 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    i melt it and put it over ice cream! its amazing! or just eat it with a spoon!
  • JGainingHealth
    JGainingHealth Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I love their tomato basil hummus and frozen black bean enchiladas. When I'm running short on time, their pre-cooked lemon pepper chicken is really good too. Just got a bag of cara cara oranges that are delicious and I haven't seen them at our normal grocery stores.

My cats love the "Tuna for Cats" :)
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Those mini crispy crunchy chocolate chip cookies that come in the tub... which is precisely why I am glad I no longer live within an hour of a Trader Joe's. I could eat a whole tub in two days.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Well IDK about "healthy" but healthier than most their Mini Milk Chocolate PB cups are to die for, 190 in 3 ! And so amazing and worth every damn calorie, problem is stopping at 3 LOL!

I also like their coconut yogurt and ice cream, vanilla almond cluster cereal, southwest salad, the hummus & veggie wrap, less guilt frozen meals, their cherry juice is really good which you can't find other places, they have gluten free bread that's also pretty yummy.

Pretty much anything there is healthy or healthier and I've never had anything bad from there before.
  • deathbypretzel
    Options
    $0.19 bananas.
  • Sharkington
    Sharkington Posts: 485
    Options
    I don't shop at Trader Joes much, usually because it's a bit out of the way and I have to take muni to get there, but when I do go, I usually go strait for the bananas (they are so inexpensive there!) and some other produce items (if it looks good). Then I head down their "junk food" aisles where they have chocolate covered cranberries and knona cookies. TJs has a wide variety of what I consider "junk food". Some things i just can't resist trying every once in awhile.
  • SarahKhristan
    SarahKhristan Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    LOVE their Mahi-mahi burgers.

I always buy those, the $.19/lb bananas (best price ever!), they have a white fish with pesto and veggies that's a great dinner, turkey burgers, hummus.....

I'm going to have to try their seaweed snacks!
  • rfuchs
    rfuchs Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    If that is all you buy there then I suppose that is true (regarding it just being a big snack bar). I find plenty of healthy, real foods. They have a great return policy if you do have a problem with their produce or you buy something that you just don't like.
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    trader joe's is has cheaper healthier options than any grocery store I've ever been to! But it's also full of tempting junk. I can never buy their cluster cereals again - so sugary. delicious though!

this is literally my list of can't-live-without healthy TJ's products- these are always in my kitchen or my shopping cart!

large tubs of plain 0% greek yogurt, frozen fruit, unbeatable price for Ezekiel bread, baked tofu, frozen veggies, Cara Cara oranges, frozen gyoza, Island Soyaki sauce, Spanish olive oil, coconut & sesame oils, Orange Champagne vinegar, canned smoked trout, salmon burgers, frozen soy ginger raw cod, Sumatra coffee, garlic salt, individually portioned goat cheese, lite mexican shredded cheese blend, smoked salmon, great prices on produce, rainbow quinoa....
  • bananasd09
    bananasd09 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hummus, cheese(any), blue corn chips, mango salsa, ground turkey, premade salads(greek), cherry tomato, nuts... I could go on and on.
    Oh I forgot wine, it's good for the heart in moderation ;)
  • drugrug
    drugrug Posts: 50
    Options
    Trader Joe's Gone Bananas! Frozen bananas with a chocolate shell. So yummy