Like Minded Lushes - Part 1

Options

Replies

• victorianjewel
    Options
    Yesterday was a good day! :happy: Finished the day under my calorie goal, got some excercise working on building a GINORMOUS pergola over my deck, and I didn't drink anything other than my morning Starbuck's coffee and at least 10 glasses of water. If day two of no alcohol goes as well, I'm on my way! :drinker:

Pergola BK??
  • dragonfly74
    dragonfly74 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    Into day two this week here. It is so hot out that a nice cold draft would be nice. However, I will refrain. :grumble:
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    No alcohol for me so far this week and have worked out both days :) I am 400 calories under my count today and it would be so easy to have a vodka and chilled fruit juice. Mmmmmmm. However I won't.
  • surlydave
    surlydave Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Hello barstool my old friend
    I'm here to drink on you again
    A full cocktail I see before me
    but soon in my glass nothing will be
    But the sound.... Of ice cubes
  • dawn_eichert
    dawn_eichert Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    This subject is just too good to pass up. I myself am a lush but have been abstaining mostly due to the fact that it is expensive. I am a single mom of two who also inherited grandpa into the house so there are times when alcohol is just needed for the sake of sanity. :drinker:
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Yeah, well, I had a beer last night. Thinking seriously about having one tonight. Sigh. This is too hard in the summer. I can do it when it's cold and rainy. Hard to do when it's nice, warm and sunny. Justification for drinking? None, really. Stressful day at work, but that is over, so really, can't blame that. I just want to. :grumble:

My husband has mentioned in the past that i drink too much. I really don't think that one or two drinks a day is too much. It isn't so much that I couldn't legally drive. In a lot of other cultures they have wine with every meal, or stop in at a pub for a drink on the way home from work to wind down. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :drinker:

As for the weight loss, I find that if I am well hydrated, and don't drink so much I make bad food choices, it doesn't seem to change anything. At least with this thread I am more aware and keeping within my calories. And yes, I do exercise for beer..... :bigsmile:
  • jendykstra67
    jendykstra67 Posts: 252 Member
    Options

Woa Dave.... that's deep. (I feel like I'm in a 1960's coffee shop)

So, I cooked beer brats tonight. Really, what are the chances that I wouldn't drink while my brats were simmering? Yes, I indulged in a cold one while the sausages were on the grill. But I only ate about a quarter of a brat, so I saved a lot of calories. (Which earned me my second beer! :blushing: )

Jen
  • h20lillys
    h20lillys Posts: 31
    Options
    . And yes, I do exercise for beer..... :bigsmile:
    [/quote]

I always say the same thing.... I run and work out so I CAN eat and DRINK what I want.
    (however i can't seem to get rid of the belly flab and i am told cut the drinks and bad foods!!)
    And for me.. drinks and bad foods always seem to go hand and hand.
  • a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    . And yes, I do exercise for beer..... :bigsmile:

I always say the same thing.... I run and work out so I CAN eat and DRINK what I want.
    (however i can't seem to get rid of the belly flab and i am told cut the drinks and bad foods!!)
    And for me.. drinks and bad foods always seem to go hand and hand.

i totally do too!!! and i can totally relate :) i've cut back on my wine habit big time since i've started working out/counting calories (as in attempting to have 1 glass every week or so) but you'd better believe that when i know i want to let loose and have a good time i spend a little bit of extra time at the gym...i can't give it up completely because then i will be destined to binge and not stick to it
    i have a bachelorette party saturday so i am going to try to be good all week and get in a good workout in the AM...the one perk to cutting back is that my tolerance is much lower than 10+lbs ago :)
  • naturebaby
    naturebaby Posts: 161
    Options
    Okay so I just found this thread ~~ my name is caroline and I am a wino~~~beero~~boozeo~~:huh: I also have a dead metabolisim and wonder why my weight loss progress stalls weekly..This group is just what i've been hoping for..I have already cut back in comparison to my "norm" I would like drink on occasion not stop on occasion. I love ~ love the honesty going on amongst us!
  • katielouhoo
    katielouhoo Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    well- my wine buddy & i did it up right on monday.

we had a reason too though. my dh found out that he has a new job and we will be leaving boise. we are relocating to lincoln, nebraska in august.

the job is a great step up for him, he's earned and deserves it. but i am sure going to miss friends here (and the mountains & low humidity).

oh well, on to new things and new experiences.

so, the rest of the week i am aiming to stay dry (we'll see).
  • surlydave
    Options

Woa Dave.... that's deep. (I feel like I'm in a 1960's coffee shop)

So, I cooked beer brats tonight. Really, what are the chances that I wouldn't drink while my brats were simmering? Yes, I indulged in a cold one while the sausages were on the grill. But I only ate about a quarter of a brat, so I saved a lot of calories. (Which earned me my second beer! :blushing: )

Jen

Like it? I was substituting words to the song The Sound of Silence (for you "kids" out there it's the song playing in Old School when Wil Farrell takes the tranqulizer dart in the butt and falls in the pool). And yes, I did write that FROM the bar, but had only had one at that point. Yeah, way off the wagon.

And I'm no lawyer (oh, wait....) but I am pretty sure there is a statute that says you MUST have a beer while grilling most foods, especially brats.

Tonight I'll try to squeeze in a work out just so I can earn some alcohol calories.
  • h20lillys
    h20lillys Posts: 31
    Options
    ...the one perk to cutting back is that my tolerance is much lower than 10+lbs ago :)
    [/quote]

ahh now that may be a valid reason to cut back!!!
  • alisonengland
    alisonengland Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    After reading through these posts I have come to the conclusion that there are SO many valid reasons to drink that no-one can castigate us..
    Grandpa moving in= drink needed to compensate
    Giant pergola on the porch= drink needed to commemorate
    End of exams= drink needed to celebrate
    Good band = drink needed to inebriate!
    Just run a 5k= drink needed to rehydrate!
    World Cup= drink needed to commiserate
    Annoying partner= drink needed to CALM DOWN!

None of these really would work with a cup of green tea...:ohwell:

And thanks to Surlydave my vacation now includes a trip to Fort Wayne Indiana so i will definitely need a ton of beer!

Yesterday I only drank one beer and as today I am watching the game with four small girls (by that I mean kids not short women) I guess I will abstain.
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options

And I'm no lawyer (oh, wait....) but I am pretty sure there is a statute that says you MUST have a beer while grilling most foods, especially brats.

It is a MUST... actually it's the unwritten law of the grill.
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    After reading through these posts I have come to the conclusion that there are SO many valid reasons to drink that no-one can castigate us..
    Grandpa moving in= drink needed to compensate
    Giant pergola on the porch= drink needed to commemorate
    End of exams= drink needed to celebrate
    Good band = drink needed to inebriate!
    Just run a 5k= drink needed to rehydrate!
    World Cup= drink needed to commiserate
    Annoying partner= drink needed to CALM DOWN!

None of these really would work with a cup of green tea...:ohwell:

And thanks to Surlydave my vacation now includes a trip to Fort Wayne Indiana so i will definitely need a ton of beer!

Yesterday I only drank one beer and as today I am watching the game with four small girls (by that I mean kids not short women) I guess I will abstain.

Hilarious! looooove it, and very very true. I think the problem is some people see drinking as just that... where as the rest of us see it as part of the day.... and I remember someone talking about Euro views compared to American... gee wonder what happened there :tongue:
  • surlydave
    Options
    Tabby, I completely agree. Having one or two a day is by no means drinking too much. Hell, isn't the American Heart Association, the AMA, or whoever still saying that a glass of red wine a day is good for you?!! You and Jessica both hit the nail on the head - we live in one of the unhealthiest countries there is, yet alcohol is demonized while fast food is the mainstay.

Alison - that a promise or a warning?! :laugh: :wink:
  • ivygirl328
    ivygirl328 Posts: 121
    Options
    Alison if you are vacationing in Fort Wayne, Indiana, the only thing to do is drink beer! Believe me, I know. :smile:

Reading all these posts is exactly what I was looking for. I know that alchohol is wasted calories. I know that I am undoing all the good choices I made throughout the day when I have a drink with dinner, or after dinner, etc. But you know what, I want that drink! My husband and I like to drink. We jump on the motorcycle, head to our favorite pub and have a drink or two a couple times a week.

We also like to go to the lake on the weekends. Lake = bathing suits = sheer terror. The lake is also sitting on the pontoon boat parked at the sand bar with a cooler full of beer. What is a girl to do?

I am just venting here. It's reassuring to read that I am not the only one struggling with this. So thankj you!
  • georgespelvin
    Options
    That's so true as far as Europe goes, in the Czech Republic it's literally cheaper to buy beer than water. And the thing is, you're allowed to walk in the street with an open beer, but as soon as they catch you actually drunk there's a huge fine. Funny how it's the other way around here...
  • surlydave
    Options
    Alison if you are vacationing in Fort Wayne, Indiana, the only thing to do is drink beer! Believe me, I know. :smile:

So, apparently the message board for drinkers on here draws heavily from Wisconsin AND Fort Wayne, Indiana. Scary. :drinker: