Greek Yogurt

Options
I love Yoplait yogurt. But here lately I've been seeing so much about Greek Yogurt and have never tried it (or even heard of it). So I'm wondering how it differs from regular yogurt I've had in the past? And if I were to buy it next trip to the g-store, how do I eat it? Can you use it in your smoothie's just as you would plain lowfat yogurt? Thanks for any info and ideas.

Have a wonderful day!! :wink:

Replies

• F4play
    F4play Posts: 21
    Options
    Higher in protein, thicker, cremier and lower in carbs go for the low fat option in all honesty you will neer go back to the regular stuff if you like it...not that im biased being Greek or anything :-O)
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Higher in protein, thicker, cremier and lower in carbs go for the low fat option in all honesty you will neer go back to the regular stuff if you like it...not that im biased being Greek or anything :-O)

:angry: took the words right outta my mouth:grumble:

:laugh: I love the stuff! In the summer I take frozen berries, a small 4oz fruit Chobani, and a bit of milk (I put a bit of protien powder to boost it too) for the yummiest guilt free treat ever.

I cannot eat regular yogurt any longer.....just tastes to watery for me.:flowerforyou:
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    It's thicker, like sour cream. Plain does have a tartness, again like regular sour cream, so if you are switching from the usual yogurts, you'll want to perhaps go to a fruity flavored one instead of head-first into the plain. It takes some getting used to, but once you do, heavenly!

I can't stand "regular" yogurt now. It seems like such a pointless runny dessert candy thing compared to the Greek yogurt.

Personally, I love the Brown Cow brand, then the Oikos by Stoney Field Farm (or something close to that name). Chobani isn't too bad either. Watch out for Danon or Yoplait's version, one of them adds high fructose corn syrup to theirs. Ick! So make sure you read the label.

PS - How do you eat it? Like regular yogurt: spoon, stick in face. Enjoy! hehe Also, you can use the plain in place of sour cream in recipes.
  • Ashia1317
    Ashia1317 Posts: 415
    Options
    Chobani!

Yum!! I love their vanilla or honey with Kashi cereal. But the pineapple is my fave!!! :tongue:
  • tcac
    tcac Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    For me the price difference isn't worth it. Tried it once and didn't like the texture.
  • wilkypoo
    wilkypoo Posts: 52
    Options
    Well thanks everyone! Being a diabetic also, it sounds like Greek Yogurt will now be added to my grocery list. Can't wait to try it.
  • absie107
    absie107 Posts: 290
    Options
    Yo, Chobani vanilla or plain are the way to go. You can just add your own honey to the plain, or your own fruit or whatever. It's got plenty of protein, still nonfat, but way thicker and more satisfying. It takes one or two tries to get used to the texture... but it's way better in every way than the super sugary so-called 'healthy' other kinds of yogurt out there.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Yoplait Greek is gross, IMO. They put too much gelatin in it.

The Fage 0% is by far the best texture. I use it in everything, recipes, as sour cream, to eat as a snack with berries on top. Delish! I would definitely add something sweet to it though, because by itself it has a very sour-ish taste (like sour cream).

18 grams of protein and 90 calories in one 6 oz cup! You cannot beat that!
  • fonrouge82
    fonrouge82 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I tried the Plain Chobani first....Blech! :noway: I then tried the strawberry Chobani...MUCH better! So much healthier than the Dannon Yogurt that I have been eating!
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I've recently started eating greek yogurt and love it. I usually get the Oikos by Stoney Field Farm ones. I like the blueberry on the bottom one as well as the caramel one. I like to mix in 1/2 a serving of granola ceral into it as well. May try just the plain version eventually.

enjoy :)
  • BrownEyedG1rl
    BrownEyedG1rl Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I love Chobani yogurt! Strawberry, peach, vanilla and honey are good. The plain is good in place of sour cream on tacos, etc.
  • jbwegner
    jbwegner Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is so yummy! Basically, it's "strained" more than regular yogurt. You could take plain, regular yogurt, strain it through a cheese cloth or sieve, and you'd have greek yogurt. Straining it gives you more protein.

Definitely read the labels though. Don't get one with added sugars. I LOVE the organic Stoney Field Farms Vanilla one. You can add it to smoothies, eat it as is, or add fruit. I love to eat mine with Kashi instrad of milk. It's so filling.
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Agreed!!! I'm a little bit addicted. I normally go through a FAGE 0%, 2 cup container in 2 days. Low cal, fat free, high protein... my kinda yogurt ;)
    Higher in protein, thicker, creamier and lower in carbs go for the low fat option in all honesty you will never go back to the regular stuff if you like it...not that im biased being Greek or anything :-O)
  • lwebsmfp
    lwebsmfp Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I still have Dannon Vanilla Yogurt sometimes but most lately I've been eating the Chobani Greek Yogurt. I love everything about it and it is more healthy than regular yogurt. My favorite Chobani flavors are Blueberry, Strawberry, Pomegranate, and Pineapple. I tried the plain and didn't like it at all. Maybe I could try adding some fresh fruits and that would make it better...or make a smoothie with frozen fruits.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    The only yogurt I will eat is either Mountain High, full fat plain yoghurt or Fage Full Fat Greek Yogurt.

Both are very thick and creamy.................I just add some fresh berries and a splash of vanilla and mix it up. A very filling breakfast for me.
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Personally I can't stand the taste of lowfat or fatfree yogurt. Even the greek bands leave a sour aftertaste that I just don't enjoy. For me, it's full fat (whole milk) plain yogurt, which I enjoy so much I eat it every single day, sometimes twice a day! I haven't tried the greek full fat variety though, may have to try that next for a packed protein punch!
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Personally I can't stand the taste of lowfat or fatfree yogurt. Even the greek bands leave a sour aftertaste that I just don't enjoy. For me, it's full fat (whole milk) plain yogurt, which I enjoy so much I eat it every single day, sometimes twice a day! I haven't tried the greek full fat variety though, may have to try that next for a packed protein punch!

I can't do low fat or fat free yogurts either...............I don't do anything that is low fat or fat free..........

I end up eating way less using full fat products anyway, so for me it is a win-win situation. Eat less and stay satisfied for longer = consuming less calories over all!!!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Fage brand wins for me YUM-O Cherry is my fav!! Though I do like no fat or 1 or 2% but dang it's nowhere to be found so I'm a full on convert now.

Can't think of the other brand I've tried recently but it's to die for as well. The cow one:laugh: I'm sure one of you will remember the name:tongue: Brown Cow?? Something like that for the brand.:drinker: Loaded up on the Brown Cow brand as it was .59 a piece at my health food coop for the month. Excellent price in my book:happy:

I'm not sure I could even go Dannon etc. after eating yummy real Greek:drinker:
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    For me the price difference isn't worth it. Tried it once and didn't like the texture.

Thank you! I thought I was the only one.

People are saying it's similar to sour cream. I don't like sour cream- could this possibly be why I don't like Greek Yogurt?

And it's probably the Yoplait brand- they put High Fructose Corn Syrup in their regular yogurt, too.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options

Thank you! I thought I was the only one.

People are saying it's similar to sour cream. I don't like sour cream- could this possibly be why I don't like Greek Yogurt?

Likely could be the reason:wink::laugh: The first time I tried it was a few years back, so pulling from memory here. It was Fage Cherry and the cherry was in a seperate compartment than the yogurt and you or I (not sure what the rules were on eating it properly lol) took a bit of cherry mix and and bit of the plain yogurt and ate it together on the spoon. I was instantly in love and in Heaven all at the same time. Now without the Cherry stuff in it, hm, might of been a very different experience.:ohwell: