Choosing to do that Lap-Ban...any concerns?

Options

Replies

• Deanna149
    Deanna149 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    my uncle has this, has had some good success, but also some drawbacks. best advice is to follow the guidelines, he was in pain when he steered away from the recommendations (ie: drinking pop....eating too fast or too much) i'm sure the doctor has given or will give you risks, benefits, and recommendations, i honestly don't know all the statistics or anything, but want to wish you luck either way you go!
  • carramel0705
    carramel0705 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I would avoid the surgery if possible , I started at 237.5 Jan 7 , 2012 I am down to 179.4 today no surgery or pills just lots of hard work and healthier eating .

ETA i think i may have been over 250 in Aug 2011 . my profile pic shows my progress from Aug '11 - Feb '13
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    there could be long term risk, erosions, band slippage etc, i'm sure the doctor already warned you.
  • adudu
    adudu Posts: 17
    Options
    DON'T DO IT!!!! Be patient, change your eating and exercise habits, and be patient, and you can change for life. The lap band is a crutch.

This is a really stupid statement and extremely ignorant.

Honestly, i don't see what is " extremely ignorant and stupid" about the statement. it is a true statement cause in this part of the world we are, we tend to go for the easiest way out. If we could only remember that good things take time and hard work, we wouldnt be talking about this. And i beleive that is why we are all here, to remind eachother of the ways of life and ancourage eachother. So "stupid and extremely ignorant" a statement it was not. IMHO
  • yetahbennett
    yetahbennett Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Im a nurse and I have taken care of my people who are having so many problems after their surgery. Some people lose weight initially and then start to gain again. Many cant tolerate having the Saline added after a certain point and have to have it removed. Not to mention being re-hospitalized due to complications. Its very risky and I really want you to research this procedure very thoroughly before commiting to it. Also research the Dr performing this procedure. Look up his infection rates, ho long has he been doing this surgery and see if their are any complaints out there. Just remember that it still requires you to exercise and change your eating habits....
  • briggsy13
    briggsy13 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I think the others covered the risks etc. I started off at 240 and am currently at 182. Its almost a 60 lb loss. I plan to get down to at least 160 if not 150. It will happen it just takes time and dedication. You can totally do this with diet and exercise. Good Luck!!
  • 2shortpeopleruleme
    Options
    I had RNY Gastric Bypass 13 months ago. My suggestion is to find support groups for people making or who have made the choice to have WLS. As these people who get it. People who have never had it done and know someone's friend's dog who had WLS and died are not people who you should be talking with. My surgery saved my life. Period. End of story. It is NOT easy, and something that you MUST live with everyday. I have had zero side effects/complications. It is major surgery, and shouldn't be taken lightly. But, if this is the right choice for you, then go for it! I am glad that I did!
  • adudu
    adudu Posts: 17
    Options
    DON'T DO IT!!!! Be patient, change your eating and exercise habits, and be patient, and you can change for life. The lap band is a crutch.

You're saying everyone who had lap band surgery was 100% successful? There is no chance of relapse? It is a crutch, it doesn't cure anyting, it "helps you" you still have to eat right and exercise.

Or is it ignorant because some people have such a "hard time" losing weight?

I would like to know also what she/he meant.
  • dez_yaoichan
    Options
    I don't think anything anyone else says on here is going to change your mind, I don't see that what I have to say will even be considered. I think you have already made up your mind that you are getting this surgery.

I say congrats on taking weight loss seriously, I wish you much successes.

How ever- again I don't really think what anyone says will matter to you but- I feel that unless you have been told that you MUST have this surgery to live, that you truly need it, don't do it.

If you can possibly lose by working out and eating right, you should take it slow and try it.

If you have medical reasons that you NEED the surgery, I hope everything works out for you.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    A couple of years ago the FDA relaxed the requirement for people to qualify for lap-band surgery - it used to be that you had to have a BMI of 35 or higher. Now you can have a BMI of 30 or higher as long as you have an additional weight-related health issue.

What bothers me is all the people on here talking about gastric bypass as though it's comparable to lap-band. It's just not. Lap-band has a failure rate of nearly 50%, meaning that a second surgery is needed because the band slips or degrades. Also, gastric bypass removes a large portion of the stomach and bypasses part of the intestines which has two effects: With a smaller stomach you don't produce as many hunger hormones, and with part of the intestine being bypassed you don't get as many calories out of the food that you eat. Lap-band leaves everything intact so you're just as hungry as you ever were and you absorb every calorie you eat. Not surprisingly, gastric bypass patients lose more weight and keep it off better.

Like most of the people on here, I know someone who had lap-band. As far as I can tell she lost the most weight in the time leading up to the surgery, but now she's just as big as she ever was. She doesn't talk about it so I don't bring it up. If you can't control your food choices and portions, don't think lap-band will magically change that. It is a tool, but like any tool it depends on who's using it.
  • lexijonahaddison
    Options
    I don't know enough about the lap-ban surgery, but I started my weight loss journey at 225-not far from you...I started the optifast program and have lost 25lbs. in 7 weeks. if you could avoid a major surgery I would and look for different options!!!! good luck!!
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    As someone who had to have emergency life saving surgery following an accident I would NEVER elect to willingly have any unnecessary surgery.

And make no mistake, this is a thoroughly unnecessary surgery. It's a lazy way to do something that is uncomfortable yes but not impossible.
    Many people on MFP have lost more than the 84lbs you are seeking to lose and have done it the hard way, without taking risks and while addressing the issues with food that got them there in the first place.

I don't agree with it. Just my opinion.
  • whitecapwendy
    whitecapwendy Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Only you can make the decision that is right for you. I started out at 279 pounds and am working hard at learning what healthy eating is, and increasing my activity to try to get the weigh off. I have been at it since Jan 4 and have taken off 32 pounds. I am looking at it as a lifestyle change and am determined to be successful. I have 3 friends who chose weight loss surgery. two chose the permanent kind. One seems to have had no struggles, looks great and has changed her eating habits. One looks great, but lost some of her hair and had a stroke afterward. My third friend chose lap band and had a lot of problems. She eventually gained the fifty pounds she lost back and had the band removed. She switched to the permanant wls, and is really struggling. She struggles to find foods that will stay down and pretty much does the cracker thing. She has lost over 70 pounds since late October. Whatever you choose, I wish you the best.
  • carolynbergen1
    Options
    ...and now Dr. Oz is recommending gastric bypass surgery for everyone who is 50bs plus overweight...I think that's when I finally realized to take everything this TV doctor says with a huge grain of salt. Let's get real here. This surgery should only be done after everything else has failed, and I mean everything. Think about what is being done to the human body, which is an incredible machine, when you interrupt the normal healthy mechanisms of the GI tract by tying it off with a lapband. The reality is that you are making your natural stomach into a small pouch. It's purpose is to make you take in less food because you feel "full", ergo you don't eat as much and you lose weight. To me this is medical insanity. This is where we are right now? Why? I'm serious. Why can't we control our food intake, move around more, etc? Yeah, I'm here because I have a problem. I was 50 lbs overweight. 8 weeks later I am down 12lbs. My problem was that I am on medication which has a known side effect of gaining weight, mechanism not yet known, my metabolism has slowed with age, I forgot what a "portion" really was, I had been drinking my calories with all the coffee creamer I was using every day. I reached a point where I was sick and tired all the time. I'm done with that. I'm here. I'm learning how to eat correctly and I am trying to exercise even though I hate it to begin with and have FMS which makes me hurt all the time. But I am doing it and I was the extreme couch potato 8 weeks ago.

So you get hunger pangs? Not to be a jerk, but so what? Why is that so terrible? I realize I am wired differently than most and maybe that's why I don't get it. I am doing fine on 1200 calories per day when I don't exercise and I eat back most of my exercise calories when I do work out and I am not going through the day hungry....not once. I hardly ever snack between meals probably because I'm not hungry! I'd go to a nutritionist if you are always hungry throughout the day, every day, and he/she can help to figure out a diet that will make you full and satisfied while still losing weight.

Ill catch hell for this post but oh well, so be it. I think that doctors, specifically GI surgeons, who make their money cutting into people, are treating a psychological issue, surgically. I don't think it's fair to the general population. What's next, let's staple people's mouth shut so they won't/can't eat anything but liquid protein?

Besides that these procedures have not been around long enough to thoroughly research them. It's like LASIK surgery. I'd love not to have to wear contacts or glasses all the time but I'll be damned if I will allow someone to cut into my corneas just quite yet, thanks.

Good luck to the OP. I'd really like to know what he/she has tried before thinking of doing this. Again should be a last resort for people who will die if they can't lose a ton of weight in 6 months...because you CAN lose a lot of weight in a year with diet and exercise...I dont get it....
  • ShreddedTweet
    Options

You're saying everyone who had lap band surgery was 100% successful? There is no chance of relapse? It is a crutch, it doesn't cure anyting, it "helps you" you still have to eat right and exercise.

He/she meant that lap band surgery is not a cure or a fix. It isn't always successful, as far as I'm aware there is a 50% chance of relapse because you're not actually solving your eating issues. I wouldn't risk surgery that doesn't give permanent results.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Dear OP
    I started ~40 lbs over your number, back in June. My goal weight is approx the same as yours. I have 2 cousins who had the band surgery, lost the weight, had no issues with it, other than they can't eat a lot of the food they used to and have to eat small portions and if they eat too much, too fast and certain foods, they come back up.
    Surgery is a big decision....I can't speak from any experience since I've never had any, but I did go to 2 gastric bypass group meetings to hear them out, and speak to others who had or were thinking about the surgery.
    I code medical records for a living and I see the complications that any bariatric surgery can lead to. Does it happen to everyone? NO, but who knows if you will be one of the lucky ones. Problems with band erosion, band slippage, complications of the surgery such as lacerations, infection/abscesses, hemorrhages, hematomas, bowel obstruction, anesthetic complications and so on. Any time you go under the knife you are risking your life.
    If the surgery is for medical necessity it is one thing, but if you are doing this electively, please do some serious research before you commit. From the info I got when I attended the seminars, you are required to lose x amt of weight ahead of time. If you can do that, why not commit a bit of time to try to do it on your own. The community here is supportive, whichever way you go, but there are a lot of folks here who lost some serious weight, way over what you and I are looking to lose, and they did it on their own, no pills, potions, or surgery.
    Only you can make up your mind, and hopefully you'll be an informed consumer when you make your decision. The band is reversible, you can gain weight with the band depending on what you eat/drink, same with the roux en y, vertical sleeve surgery and so on.
    No weight loss is easy, you will have to work at it no matter what decision you choose. I wish you well on your journey, whichever route you take.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options

He/she meant that lap band surgery is not a cure or a fix. It isn't always successful, as far as I'm aware there is a 50% chance of relapse because you're not actually solving your eating issues. I wouldn't risk surgery that doesn't give permanent results.

Wow, someone gets it. Maybe you didn't use the term you were meaning to use to describe it. A more appropriate word would be that WLS is a tool, not a cure or a quick fix. Saying it is a crutch just screams ignorance. Most bariatric doctors in the US require intense psychotherapy and classes before they will do surgery on someone. You have to go through very vigorous medical tests prior to surgery. It's just ridiculous to think that people don't exhaust every other option. It's a last resort that saves lives. Please educate yourself.
  • ShreddedTweet
    Options

Wow, someone gets it. Maybe you didn't use the term you were meaning to use to describe it. A more appropriate word would be that WLS is a tool, not a cure or a quick fix. Saying it is a crutch just screams ignorance. Most bariatric doctors in the US require intense psychotherapy and classes before they will do surgery on someone. You have to go through very vigorous medical tests prior to surgery. It's just ridiculous to think that people don't exhaust every other option. It's a last resort that saves lives. Please educate yourself.

I'm afraid I disagree, in fact it's extremely naive to assume that most people HAVE 'properly' exhausted every other option. It's a sweeping generalisation, a great number of people do turn to WLS because they have been unsuccessful in the past but many of those haven't had the proper knowledge to be successful with dieting. In that sense they have not exhausted every other option because they have not bent the laws of physics and they CAN lose the weight with diet and exercise, willpower and the right information.
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Laura, Your numbers are the same as my wife. She also has a goal of getting down to 150 pounds. She was at your starting weight just 7 months ago and she has lost 53 pounds since then by eating an average of 1650 calories per day. You are 15 years younger than her so you may be able to eat even more calories than her and still lose at the same rate as her. I just wanted to share with you that it is possible to do without surgery just by controlling the amount of calories you eat and drink. Whatever you decide to do I wish you the best.
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    You are only 234pds and are going to have lap band surgery?!? Good luck but I would not do it!! I was 330pds and lost 138pds by myself! Eat right and exercise it will come off the healthy way!