Plateau for nearly 3 months. Pls help

Options
I've opened my diary for this thread.

I need some help.

I've lost maybe a kg (2lbs) in 3 months and now I'm gaining and losing the same kg every week. I've lost nearly 18kg (39lbs) prior to this in around 4 months.

I'm getting really frustrated. I've tried upping my protein and lowering my carbs a little to see if that works, nothing for over 2 weeks.

Oh and the water, I drink 3-4 litres most days I just haven't been logging it in a while.

If you've got nothing constructive to say, please keep it to yourself. I'm looking for help, not being chastised. thanks.

Replies

• supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Hi hun, I looked at your diary , and you first need to add sugar & sodium to you diary, you do not need to be eating any sugar at all, unless it is a peice of fruit. Processed meats are really high in sodium, not good for you , do fresh fish , lean chicken , and tons' of fresh veggies, if you want you can add me as a friend and look at my food intake and ask questions..go back a week or so and you will get the idea, this will help you !!! :smile:
  • Mayanbound
    Options
    I find if I stop eating all the same foods and add only new foods I can get past a plateau. I also mix up my excerise, sometimes 1 extra long workout or Five 30 minute walks in the same day. I never let my body know what to expect.

Also take a look at the Shred diet, its 6 weeks and each week is different. I found this very helpful between my regular diet / workout. I know I've seen some Shred groups on MFP.

Don't let the plateau stop you! You've been doing great you'll find the right thing to snap your body past this!
  • ImRadical4Jesus
    ImRadical4Jesus Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    It took me a year to lose 37 pounds, I had and have many plateaus one lasting 117 days. I went to my dr recently and found that my hormones and thyroid are out of wack which keeps me from losing weight. I get my cardio, do toning and am eating healthy. I'm on meds for the hormone issue and he'll start me on meds for my thyroid next time I see him. Plus seeing a dietitian and following her plan.

Here is my link for my 1 year ann with MFP

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/928312-1-year-anniversary-36-pounds-lost-with-pics

Don't stop working out and toning and eating healthy, the weight will come off...don't let it get you down!
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    Thanks for the responses so far.

I have added in vegetarian eating where I use soy based products and have found out that soy can actually work against me.

I do not have any issues that need medication however I do have a very slightly underactive thyroid which is why I think the soy could be related. I started plateauing around the same time I added these foods to my diet.

I do try and and eat as clean as I can but do include treat foods when I like them. I try only once every 2 weeks for this kind of eating.
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    I will say the last few days of my diary aren't good. I was out most of the weekend.
  • charismanoodles
    charismanoodles Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    You have a fair bit of processed foods in your diary, maybe the sodium is mucking with your system.

To be honest i have no idea really, because looking through you seem pretty consistent with your calories and most meals are good ones.

I suggest looking at a TDEE calculator like pu suggested to see what your goal should be set at. You seem to have a lot of carb also and not that much protein, I had to change my goals to 40/30/30 (protein, carb, fat) to see more of a difference on the scale, this might help?

Also, I'm guessing your Aussie by your food choices ;)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    How accurately are you logging your food? Are you using a digital scale for everything not liquids and a scale/measuring cup for liquids? Are you making sure you add condiments, oils, etc?. Are you double checking that the database entries make sense? (they are often wrong).
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    I use a digital scale and cups/spoons. I don't eyeball anything.
    I log everything I eat.
    My TDEE is 2300 and my calorie goal is 70% of that which is the lowest I can go. I've checked a few calculators and they all come up with the same amounts give or take 50 cals.
    My BMR is 1450.
    I use a HRM to get my exercise cals which only gives me the burned cals above my calculated TDEE to make sure I'm getting the right amount.
    I eat them back when I can.
    I scan my entries wherever possible and always check the entries as much as I can.

I've also just changed my carbs/protein/fat back to 40/30/30 just to see what happens which is why I have the supplements in there now.
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    I may also change my carb focus to veg/fruit/complex rather than bread, wraps and potatoes.
    Urk that's going to be hard.
  • charismanoodles
    charismanoodles Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    You can try this recipe I've been using to get my protein up, I buy mine from bulk nutrients as it cheaper than buying protein powder in store.

Frozen blueberries (I use woolies brand) 50g
    Chobani 2% or 0% plain greek yogurt 100 grams
    1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (normal milk OK too) 1/2 cup
    1 scoop of vanilla WPC

Blend until smooth. It's really good and heres the details...

237 cals 10 carb 4 fat 41 protein 166 sodium 1 fibre
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    Thankyou! I have all that stuff at home now and on hand always! That sounds yum yum yum and a great way to get fruit in for me.
    Breakfast tomorrow!