30 day shred and weight gain?

Options
I started the 30 day shred on monday, so I just finished day 5 this morning. Before I did it this morning I decided to weigh myself out of curiosity. I've gain just under 3 lbs in 5 days! Is this normal, could it all just be muscle in that short of time?? I can't see how that's possible. I've read that others have gained some in the beginning, or simply just stayed the same with their weight. Have any of you gained this much this fast? I haven't changed my eating and am only eating back part of those exercise calories. And I've actually been more active in general this week than normal. I need some encouragement! Stories ,stats and pics please to help keep me motivated!

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    It is normal. It is not muscle. You're body is just adjusting to your new workouts. It will even out in due time. Give it a month or two, then your body will have adjusted and you can "trust" the scale a bit more.
  • popefarms
    popefarms Posts: 69
    Options
    But the shred is only 30 days! Ha ha ha! I had a feeling this would happen to me...just my luck lol. I really don't want to gain any cause if I do I'll get majorly discouraged. My main motivation since I started mfp is the fact that every week (with the exception a only a few) I've lost weight. The only good thing is that I've not gained any inches. Hoping actual weigh in day won't get me down too much!
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    When I started it in February, I gained about 4 lbs. Before the end of it, I lost that plus 2 lbs. I also lost 10" total during that 30 days, so don't go just by the scale during this time.
  • popefarms
    Options
    When I started it in February, I gained about 4 lbs. Before the end of it, I lost that plus 2 lbs. I also lost 10" total during that 30 days, so don't go just by the scale during this time.

I like hearing that! Lol. Maybe part of it is timing for me too. As long as I'm loosing inches I guess it doesn't really matter what the scale says...but it's hard to get away from that thinking.
  • mikki629
    mikki629 Posts: 37
    Options
    Sorry if I'm too frank in this answer, but are you close to that time of the month?
    Or, are you weighing yourself at the same time of day each time? Because if you've eaten or drank anything that probably effects the number you'll see. I always weigh myself first thing in the morning at the same time. Before I eat and after I, uh, use the ladies room, lol!
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options

I like hearing that! Lol. Maybe part of it is timing for me too. As long as I'm loosing inches I guess it doesn't really matter what the scale says...but it's hard to get away from that thinking.

It is hard to lose the mindset that we have to be a certain "weight" when really people of the same weight can be many shapes and sizes. It has taken me a long time. I still weigh once a week, but don't stress over it as much as before. I also recommend taking pictures of before and after. Sometimes I look in the mirror and think I can't tell a difference, but I can in the photos.
  • ICOZA7
    ICOZA7 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Are your muscles sore? It's not mucle, but it could very well be water retention. Muscles tend to hold on to water as they are healing. I know I will ALWAYS be up when my muscles are sore.
  • Galonamission81
    Galonamission81 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    No no... I've been told when just starting a new exercise program you'll gain a bit of water weight, as you'll retain extra water around your muscles as your body's way of trying to prevent injury. Keep at it, and take before photos. You will be glad you did by the end of the month.
  • popefarms
    Options
    Sorry if I'm too frank in this answer, but are you close to that time of the month?
    Or, are you weighing yourself at the same time of day each time? Because if you've eaten or drank anything that probably effects the number you'll see. I always weigh myself first thing in the morning at the same time. Before I eat and after I, uh, use the ladies room, lol!

Actually yes I was just at the end of that time of the month lol. My weight does fluctuate at that time of the month but I usually just have less of a loss and normally no gain. And I do always weigh myself first thing in the morning after going to the bathroom so it's always consistent. I'm going to give it some time and hope that things even out after a few weeks:smile:
  • popefarms
    Options

It is hard to lose the mindset that we have to be a certain "weight" when really people of the same weight can be many shapes and sizes. It has taken me a long time. I still weigh once a week, but don't stress over it as much as before. I also recommend taking pictures of before and after. Sometimes I look in the mirror and think I can't tell a difference, but I can in the photos.

I've taken pics all through my weight loss (including before pics for the 30 day shred). I can see the change from my starting weight and that's very encouraging. Crossing my fingers that I will see some noticeable results in the month to come:smile:
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Are your muscles sore? It's not mucle, but it could very well be water retention. Muscles tend to hold on to water as they are healing. I know I will ALWAYS be up when my muscles are sore.

This is why your weight on the scale went up. Ignore it. Stay off the scale except once a week.
  • popefarms
    Options

Really?? I never knew that! They were really sore the beginning of the week. I was finally feeling better by around thursday afternoon or so. My legs were so sore that it was difficult to go up and down the stairs and to sit and stand lol. Maybe that was part of it. I think I've gotten past the soreness for this level at least lol.
  • popefarms
    Options
    No no... I've been told when just starting a new exercise program you'll gain a bit of water weight, as you'll retain extra water around your muscles as your body's way of trying to prevent injury. Keep at it, and take before photos. You will be glad you did by the end of the month.

Pics have been taken! So glad to hear this from several of you and it makes sense...I just had never heard that before.
  • popefarms
    Options

This is why your weight on the scale went up. Ignore it. Stay off the scale except once a week.

I'm doing my best to avoid the scale! I should just hide it for a few weeks lol.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Definitely measure your success in ways other than the scale. If your clothes are looser, your inches are going down, your body fat is dropping, then who cares what the scale says? It measures more than muscle, fat, and bones, it measures all the water rushing to those muscles when you start a new program...and that is why too many people give up before they get the results the want!
  • cryswest57
    cryswest57 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have been doing it for the past four days myself haha. I haven't lost weight, but I lost two inches off my stomach overnight last night. I want to credit it to that because I ate 3 cookies last night lol. I take prescribed pain medication so I haven't been hurting or sore. I do push myself so I know I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing.
  • popefarms
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the replies!!! I completed day 7 today:smile: I'm determined to stick with this! This week is going to be the real test because I'm working all week (I'm a stay at home mom and only work occasionally during holidays)...my plan is to do my workout in the morning before I leave so I can't wimp out in the evenings. I've done really good so far though and have actually been looking forward to the workouts. Curious to see what my measurements end up being tomorrow! Today was a rough food day for me because it was my middle daughters birthday party but I estimated calories as well as I could and just enjoyed the day.

For those doing the shred....keep at it and let's be able to be the ones posting after pics before we know it!!!!
  • Peaches516
    Peaches516 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me, and I wanted to quit! But I read on another thread that the weight loss doesn't happen until Level 3, which is exactly when I started to lose weight. I didn't lose too many pounds by the time I finished the program, only about 4, but I definitely lost several inches. My jeans fit a lot better, and I was able to do pushups and situps!
  • ellygolightly
    Options
    I'm currently doing the 30DS and my advise is to ignore the scales and focus on losing inches. My weight stayed the same after the first 2 weeks but I lost 4cm from my waist! I also FEEL a lot slimmer even though my weight is the same. Don't give up! You'll be happy you saw it through :)
  • popefarms
    Options
    I just finished level 1, day 10. I didn't want to do it and I yelled at her the entire time lol. It was really tough today for some reason. I've seen only negative results so far with this. Still no inches lost and today my stomach looks HUGE!!! It's so frustrating. I really hope I have the motivation to start level 2 tomorrow. I was having a lot of knee pain today and hope that goes away. Wish me luck for tomorrow!!! Lol.