Tell me about your lunch! What do you usually pack?

Options
Its Sunday night! Surely many of you have already packed Monday's lunch or already know what it will be.... trying to get some new, simple ideas to help me stay within my limits and still lose!

As a disclaimer...for the longest time I did a shake and yogurt + fruit or veggies... but I literally got burnt out from that. Plus work started getting much busier around that same time so I stopped planning and packing ahead of time, and off to the work cafeteria I went... every..single..day. (fortunately I stuck with the "healthier" options but its just so darn expensive)

IDEAS PLEASE! THANKS IN ADVANCE! :drinker: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • a_dub
    a_dub Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I pack a lot of sandwiches, and never get burnt out on them.

I'm a vegetarian, so I stuff them full of veggies, and I replace the lettuce with baby spinach - it's less soggy, more filling, and MUCH healthier.

I'm also addicted to green smoothies. I have a Magic Bullet at home, so I make mine the night before. I usually just do 1 cup of almond milk, a huge handful of spinach, 3/4 cup of frozen blueberries, and a third of a super ripe banana. I've also made a huge batch of these, put a single serving in freezer bags, and then I take out a bag and let it defrost in the fridge overnight.

Some other lunch ideas I rotate:
    -- Babybel cheese (or string cheese, cheese sticks, etc..) and pretzels
    -- Tortilla chips, hummus, and guacamole
    -- Yogurt with granola
    -- Celery with peanut butter
    -- Salads - I use spinach (shocker!) as a base, and then add whatever I feel like... my favorite at the moment is spinach, shelled pistachios, goat cheese, dried cranberries, and low-fat raspberry vinaigrette

And I always, always have a TON of extra fruits and veggies on the side. Baby carrots, tangerines, apples, cucumbers, grapes, anything!

Hope this gives you a few ideas!
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    leftovers or a sandwich with some sides
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Homemade chili. Three pounds of ground beef, three cans of black beans rinsed, two chopped onions, a whole bag of carrots chopped and diced, a jar of salsa and spices. Last batch made 9 servings of about 560 calories per serving. Used the recipe tool to track it.

Don't make excuses for not planning. Planning is the key to controlling what you eat and not letting it control you.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    This week I have spinach and ricotta canneloni. I don't mind eating the same thing every day for a week, so sometimes I make batches of pumpkin and lentil curry, or a fritatta, and a lot of the time I just have salad veg with a can of chicken, some dressing and some sort of carb.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Egg Salad (sometimes on it's own sometimes in bread depending on how many cals I want to spend on lunch)
    Mini pitas with sandwich meat and cheese
    Noodles and alfredo sauce
    Pulled Chicken (sometimes on it's own sometimes in mini pitas or something)

Those are my main go-to lunches.
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I have leftovers from today's lunch packed for tomorrow. Spinach and Cauliflower Pizza Crust Pizza with tons of veggies and a little turkey bacon.
  • acraw558
    acraw558 Posts: 23
    Options
    i eat very simply--like i'm still in 5th grade! i like to bring snacks rather than a meal so that i can just kind of graze all day. Snack ideas:

cheese stick
    whole wheat crackers
    grapes
    apple slices
    peanut butter
    strawberries
    cheese slices wrapped in turkey and lettuce
    pudding cup
    pretzels
    pita chips and hummus
    cuties
    little tomatoes
    carrots and ranch
    broccoli
    etc.
  • FitGirl329
    FitGirl329 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'd love to know more about the cauliflower crust pizza!

I do either a turkey and avocado or peanut butter and all-fruit spread sandwich on Ezekiel sprouted grain bread with cucumbers, carrots or a fruit on the side.

I make a nice sized salad with 2-3 c. Romaine and add in a protein like chicken breast or egg, chicken or tuna salad and cherub tomatoes, avocado, etc. and either balsamic and vinegar or Newmans Own oil and vinegar dressing. I put the dressing in a small container made for salad dressings and put it in and shake right before eating.

Sometimes I do a snack type lunch with flax crackers, babybel cheese, turkey, celery and hummus.
  • lockettallen
    Options
    Lite Progresso has great soups in many good flavors. You can add a sandwhich.

Make a vegetable lasagna and cut sections and place in rubbermaid containers for the whole week, or freeze a few for next week.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Today I have brought the following...

1 can Tuna
    300g mixed frozen Veg (carrots, brocoli and coli)
    100g cottage cheese
    50g Oats
    50g Strawberry whey Protein shake
    2 eggs.
    1 Banana
    1 muller light yogurt.
  • tachyon_master
    tachyon_master Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Today:
    * Ciabatta roll with 1/4 avocado, a sprinkle of cajun seasoning and 50g smoked salmon
    * 2 plums
    * 600 mL bottle of coke zero.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I pack a salad:
    red leaf lettuce, chicken breast, sliced carrot, cucumber, a little organic olive oil, and (different flavors of) balsamic vinegar.

I also bring:
    chicken, ham or steak, and steamed vegetables and usually a piece of fruit or a piece of light cheese to go with that for dinner

I switch between those two for what is dinner and what is lunch. I'm working night shift right now and I work 12-hour shifts so I typically only eat breakfast at my house before leaving for work.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i have rice with veggies and spices a lot (if you eat chicken then maybe with chicken/turkey too)
    I also have falafels with hummus in a wrap a lot
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    I take salad every day atm (assorted raw vegies, a bit of cheese, sunflower seeds and sometimes some meat.). Usually I also take a piece of fruit, a yoghurt, and a couple of 'kids lunchbox'things like raisins, or a mini muesli bar, or a small package of cassava, potato or corn chips.

With it during the day I'll have a coffee, about a litre of water, and occasionally some chocolate.

This covers me leaving home at 730 am to arriving home round 6 pm
  • astralweeks82
    astralweeks82 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I usually bring in a Healthy Choice, just because it's so convenient, and a yogurt.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • RooBug88
    RooBug88 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My average workday lunchbox contains:

Carrots:35 cal
    Apple or grapes: 80-100 cal
    Fat free turkey or low-fat bologna sandwich with light cheese and fat free mayo: 240-250 cal
    Reduced calorie Pringles snack pack OR reduced fat Cheez-its: 100-140 cal
    Sugar free Jello cup: 10 cal
    Fiber One brownie or chocolate chip cookie: 90 cal
    Water bottle or sparkling flavored water: 0 cal

I average 600 cal or less at my meal (my target intake is 1750 cal/day, although I've been staying well under that and will probably drop 200-250 starting next week). It really is quite a bit of food and it takes me a long time to eat it (around 30 minutes of my 60 minute lunch break, much better than when I used to grab a Lunchable, chips, soda, and mini fruit pie and scarf down 800+ calories in under 10 minutes. Plus, the protein and fiber stick with me much longer than the high sugar foods I ate before. I wouldn't go back for anything, I don't even miss the junk food because I always include a low-calorie treat (the jello and Fiber One bar) so I don't feel like I'm missing out.
  • sherrymccall
    sherrymccall Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My lunch is boring, haha. Every day, all most, I pack a peanut butter sandwich, peanut butter protein bar, and a cup of chocolate milk.
  • mtbke5
    mtbke5 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites lately has been this:

Grilled Chix
    apple &/or grapes
    PB2
    All wrapped up in a lettuce leaf

You can add almonds, other fruits, etc to fit into your goals