Beating sugar addiction?

Options

Replies

• fkbourne
    fkbourne Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You aren't addicted to sugar. You are choosing to indulge. Make a different choice. It may not be easy, but you are in control of your own behaviour.

How can you possibly say that she is not addicted to sugar.
    Addiction to any and all food is a true addiction, just like drugs because food stimulates the dopamine receptors in your brain the same as drugs and I take offense to the fact that you cooly reply " make a different choice" pretty sure if it were that easy then there would be no need for web sites like this one.
  • Chrisgrz
    Chrisgrz Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Don't really have a "sweet tooth," I'm very big on eating fatty cuts of meat though. So my advice to you would simply be moderation, at the end of the day it's all about calories and meeting your macros. I personally have found a ice cream shop near by called Dlites that makes ice cream with low amounts of sugar and skim milk. 50 calories for 1/2cup of ice cream =D.

So find a low calorie treat that can help curve your cravings every once in a while, so long as you're getting your macros, calorie goals in and aren't diabetic, no harm.
  • bluebirdlx
    Options
    You aren't addicted to sugar. You are choosing to indulge. Make a different choice. It may not be easy, but you are in control of your own behaviour.

Addiction to any and all food is a true addiction, just like drugs because food stimulates the dopamine receptors in your brain the same as drugs and I take offense to the fact that you cooly reply " make a different choice" pretty sure if it were that easy then there would be no need for web sites like this one.

My thoughts exactly.
  • iknowiknow
    iknowiknow Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I started freezing regular yogurt, usually Yoplait because they have so many varieties. Then when I get a hankering for something sweet, I eat that. Because it's frozen, it feels like I'm eating ice cream. Yoplait Boston creme pie yogurt is awesome frozen.
  • Sarah_L_S
    Sarah_L_S Posts: 121
    Options
    Thank you very much to those who replied with advice and that shared your own strategies for overcoming addictions to various foods. I read your replies carefully. I've decided to cut all processed sugar (biscuits, sweets, chocolate) completely from today. I know it won't be easy, but knowing I'm not the only one struggling with this does make it easier.

(For those of you who think posting mean replies is clever, I'll refer to something my mum taught me - "if you haven't got anything nice to say, don't say anything at all". MFP is a support group, where we can all learn to make healthier choices together. Just because we're not on crystal meth mugging old ladies doesn't mean that we're not addicted to something or need a friendly ear now and then.)
  • punkypenny
    punkypenny Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I am of the opinion that sugar is one of the most underrated drugs. I also have a sugar addiction. I can't just have one chocolate. I end up having 10. When I cut it out of my diet I get a headache for a few days, but I always feel better physically and emotionally when I give it up. I also lose weight a a lot faster too. The problem is, I always let it creep back in to my life. It's very difficult when you're at a social gathering and everyone else is eating the sweets and asking why you're not. They don't want to hear how bad sugar effects the body. I've read that it leaches essential nutrients from the body, depresses the immune system, and is now linked to Alzheimer's Disease. Then they might say "Everything in moderation." Sure, you could smoke cigarettes or do cocaine in moderation, but why would you want to? I've considered making up a story that I'm diabetic, but I'm not a very good liar. I dread having kids and having to deal with the struggle of keeping them sugar-free in a sugar-laden world.
  • cwhussey
    cwhussey Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I want to cry reading your posts because people simply don't understand about sugar addiction. I have twin boys and I thank God every day for boys and not girls because I know if I'd had girls they'd be battling eating disorders like I have my whole life. I WANT to change my ways. I NEED to change my ways. I am trying so hard to eat healthy to instill healthy eating habits in my boys but we are surrounded 24/7 with food. We celebrate with food. We mourn with food. Our lifetyles have become a game of convenience and the food that is convenient is not healthy. It is a complex compilation of chemicals that tastes good and tricks our brains into wanting more. If you don't struggle with sugar addiction you simply don't get it. My own family doesn't get it. My mom is the worst - she buys my boys continual "treats"and gives it to me saying, "Don't eat it - it's for the boys." When I tell her how much I struggle, she says she is the grandmom and has the right to spoil her grandsons. I almost can't go over her house anymore because it is such a toxic environment for me.

This post wasn't supposed to be a rant, rather a CONGRATS to t hosewho are trying to make a change and break this lethal cycle so that future generations hopefully won't have to. Check out the documentary Hungry for Change - it is a very interesting flick about how sugar is like cocaine and the chemicals in food are proven to be addicting and how dieting can't and won't work. Stay strong folks!
  • jkt122
    jkt122 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this thread. I've been struggling with sugar addiction for as long as I can remember. I do best when I eliminate it especially processed foods with gluten and sugar. I find that after I am off of it for about 10 days the desire goes away. I feel so much better. Hope today has gone well for you and sending you encouragement to stay with it!
  • Timmi1978
    Timmi1978 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I've been trying to lose weight for the last year or so, after putting on 18kg in 2.5 years through bad eating habits and stress. I've lost 8kg of that so far through going to the gym 3 times a week, and choosing healthier breakfasts/lunches/cooking more for myself.

My problem is simple but difficult to overcome - sugar addiction. I don't have one biscuit, I have all the biscuits...

I know some people will think 'greedy cow, put the biscuits down/don't buy them, problem solved', but even if I resist the chocolate aisle when shopping, I have been known to go out again to the local shop at 10pm to fix that craving. I live alone, so have noone to feel ashamed in front of (and when I get lonely, I eat more!)

Have any of you overcome your own sugar addiction? I would really like to "go cold turkey" (I have tried and failed several times after a stressful day), and wonder if there's anyone who wants to join me?

Sarah

(ps - This is the first time I started a thread - please be gentle with me!)

Hi Sarah,

You remind me of myself, because I also kept up the discipline...until I had a weak moment and ate ice cream like it would be the last day on earth :)

I did the 21 sugar challenge which gave me some great insights into sugar cravings and I think the one thing that helped me most and still does:

- Always have healthy emergency snacks ready! Carrots, almonds, avocado, boiled egg, ... No matter where you are or go, as soon you feel that urge for sweets, start snacking from your healthy snacks.

Also, drink plenty of water before you eat anything.

All the best for you.

(For your reference, the sugar detox challenge: http://timreviews.com/21daysugardetox)
  • Eperkins2882
    Eperkins2882 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Sugar is a huge problem for me too. Instead of eating three cookies, you want the entire box. I just recently found a way to keep myself from eating a bunch of sweet things that add on the pounds in a hurry. I am completely dedicated to MFP. I do not go over my calories and I plan at least a day ahead so I know exactly what I am going to eat. I eat a lot of fruit throughout the day to combat my sweet cravings. Every night I have a pack of Special K Pastry Crisps in chocolate. I look forward to my nightly snack because is sweet and satisfying. Find a 100 calorie snack that is something that will be able to curb your sweet tooth and look forward to that each day. Good luck!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

This is true. But on the other hand we English language speakers really need a new word for this type of addiction to differentiate it from the ones that really do put some people in halfway houses, prisons, and very early graves (very very early, not late 50s heart attack early).

OP, I have the same issue. From late June until the past few weeks I had it mostly under control with a low carb diet and it was such a relief not to have my brain tormenting me for it.

But alas, Spring allergies are here and have triggered the cravings back somehow.

So because I am an all the cookies or no cookies girl, I've decided to try alternate day fasting, which is 500-ish calories 1 day and 2000-ish the next and on my 2000 day guess what I get to do? If you guessed stuff myself silly until I'm sick, have a cookie!

Supposedly this actually has major health benefits, at least in mice and maybe even in humans, but I'm just doing it so I can have my cake and my skinny jeans, too.

I'm not saying either of these will work for you (hell I don't even know if this alternate day thing will work for me in the long run, I've only been on it a few days) but I do know you should keep trying until you find what does work and don't give up. And don't think you're alone, and don't think it isn't a real issue because it is.
  • mommy1126
    mommy1126 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have found sugary stuff to be one of my triggers as well.
    Here is what I do, and while it works well for me, it may not for you.
    Usually a cup of coffee with Splenda is enough to solve my sugary craving. I also eat a lot of fruit. I eat sugar free fat free chocolate pudding to get my chocolate fix : ). And the McDonald's fruit and yogurt parfaits are really good (sweet & crunchy if you use the granola). Hope these suggestions help you.
  • MariaLivingFit
    MariaLivingFit Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm dealing with the same issue, but have been doing rather well for the last month or so. I've made an effort to really cut out all processed sugar and only eat sugar from fruit and vegetables. I've read lots of books about sugar addiction to understand how it was controlling my body. I started taking L-glutamine supplements, which are supposed to curb sugar cravings, and even if it's a placebo effect, it seems to be working. I used to have chocolate and ice cream every single day - and that's no longer the case. I'm not saying it's easy - I went through some bad withdrawal symptoms and it's sometimes a daily struggle, but I am leaps and bounds from where I used to be. Keep thinking about how negatively the sugars are affecting you - both physically and mentally. Cut it out slowly until you can cut it out altogether. Feel free to add me if you want food ideas - my diary is open. :-) Good Luck.
  • shellir05
    shellir05 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am working towards that myself. Its very hard, and I still find myself having a snack size candy bar here & there (although if I'm not careful- it quickly adds up!)
    Feel free to add me for more support and motivation!
  • PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Pave, and I, too, am a sugar addict.

And scientifically speaking, it's the truth - the human brain responds to sugar just like it does to narcotics.

I have a goal of a quarterly sugar detox this year. I've found that, like junkies with drugs, when I indulge, I can have a handle on it for a while... and then it spirals out of control until I'm binging.

So the first month of each quarter, I'm doing a 21-day sugar detox. During that time, I pull ALL sugars and sweet-flavoured things from my diet. No artificial sweetners (because I dunno about you, but my tastebuds crave it), no fruit (healthy, but still a sugar), no dairy, no grains, and a strict curtailing of my startchy foods (they become glucose really rapidly). I strip it all to veggies, fats, and proteins.

Yes, it's INCREDIBLY hard. I can honestly admit that I did not realise just how entrenched sweet things were in my diet until I did this the first time, and I reacted just like an addict when I knew I couldn't indulge - it wasn't pretty. But it was very eye-opening.

I'm getting ready to do it again, starting next Monday - and I'm much better prepared for it (I hope). But, yeh, it's terrible - I find that once I begin, I seem almost unable to stop myself. I cannot moderate.
  • nahiluoh
    nahiluoh Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    This is a pretty good resource for dealing with sugar addiction, whether real or imagined:

http://endsugaraddiction.com/
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    hi, I'm pave, and I, too, ama sugar addict.

And scientifically speaking, it's the truth - the human brain responds to sugar just like it does to narcotics.

I have a goal of a quarterly sugar detox this year. I've found that, like junkies with drugs, when I indulge, I can have a handle on it for a while... and then it spirals out of control until I'm binging.

So the first month of each quarter, I'm doing a 21-day sugar detox. During that time, I pull ALL sugars and sweet-flavoured things from my diet. No artificial sweetners (because I dunno about you, but my tastebuds crave it), no fruit (healthy, but still a sugar), no dairy, no grains, and a strict curtailing of my startchy foods (they become glucose really rapidly). I strip it all to veggies, fats, and proteins.

Yes, it's INCREDIBLY hard. I can honestly admit that I did not realise just how entrenched sweet things were in my diet until I did this the first time, and I reacted just like an addict when I knew I couldn't indulge - it wasn't pretty. But it was very eye-opening.

I'm getting ready to do it again, starting next Monday - and I'm much better prepared for it (I hope). But, yeh, it's terrible - I find that once I begin, I seem almost unable to stop myself. I cannot moderate.

Oooh I like this idea. I might have to try this once the worst of my allergies clears up a bit. I was already low carb for months so I know I can do it.
  • konerusp
    konerusp Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Sugar craving is often times a side effect of magnesium deficiency.

I struggled all life with sugar cravings-It really subsided once i started taking magnesium supplements.In addition i upped my intake of vegetables(i also juice vegetables most times).Now i crave sugar probably once in 2 months now.I eat fruit.I eat clean(homecooked rice, vegetable etc-nothing out of containers)- but otherwise just Watch out for foods that contain sugars.

The Food industry is really designed to make people buy their foods over and over again-for which they add sugars -really carefully read the labels-your grains (breads/pastas) need not have sugars-pick options of bread and pasta without sugar(or less than 1gm).Many a times if you ate one of these-because it has sugar-it makes you go back for that next serving again-and the cycle continues.These are trigger foods.
  • nekoface
    nekoface Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to do it. I just drink water and 'power through'.
    Sometimes I have a hot cocoa drink. It's more filling than a chocolate or a biscuit but is also sweet and 'chocolate'.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I am a definate cookie (biscuit) addict also. I made myself stop gettimg the store bought ones. If I want some, I have to bake them. I control the sugar and usually make them with oatmeal. If I don't want to take the time to make them, I really don't want them.