Eating back exercise calories

Options
There's probably been heaps of posts about this topic before but anyway, I'm wanting to know whether it's best to eat back your exercise calories each day, if it helps you lose weight faster (and keep it off) to eat them back or not to eat them?

Also, if it's best to eat them back, then is it ok if you don't do it every day?

Replies

• mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I think part of it depends on how you have you calorie goals set up. Mine is set at 1650 - my BMR. That is the minimum I try to net everyday. So if I "earn" calories by exercising, I eat them back to stay at my net. If I burn 500 calories that makes my daily allowance 2150. If I decided to set my goal at 2000, I wouldn't eat back my exercise calories unless I burn more then 500. Hope that helps.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Here's my explanation on why you should eat them back if you're using MFP's built-in method:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/mrsbigmack/view/finding-the-sweet-spot-452184

But keep in mind, your total daily calorie burn is an estimate, your calories burned by exercise are estimated and your calories eaten and recorded in your diary are also only an estimate. There is a huge margin of error.

If you eat them back and don't lose, go for half. If you don't eat them back but also don't log certain things then you're probably fine. If you're losing no matter what you're doing, keep doing it. It's working.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Eat them back. The NET number of calories you consume is already a big deficit and you are expected to consume them all.

Of course, there is a margin for error in the calorie burned counts, so I personally prefer to eat back about 70% of my exercise calories.

But yes, you are supposed to be eating them back. If you find it difficult, you should probably drop your exercise a little bit.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I will hardly ever eat mine back, I burn off on some days over 1000 cals, most days it's close to that & I just cant eat them all back. I will only eat IF I AM HUNGRY. I'm not going to force myself to eat when I'm not.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    bump
  • HPLW0705
    HPLW0705 Posts: 102
    Options
    I typically eat back some of them on the day of and then because I save for a treat meal, I eat back some of them after the fact. I've been steadily losing anywhere from half a pound to a pound a week, so for me, that works. I think for many people it depends on the person. I have my calories set to 1400/day and I average around 1250-1300 with eating the calories back. For the most part, I pay attention to how many calories I have allotted for a week and use that instead of the daily amount. A deficit is a deficit, right?
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I've just worked out today to burn 1275 calories, I have already eaten 450 calories, I still have now 2040 calories to eat. No way I can do all that in 6 hours. See what's the point of always trying to eat them back? I'm not even trying to lose weight anymore
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    If you are following MFP you are suppose to eat them back.

If you are follow some other method then most likely not.
  • carolinesparkle
    carolinesparkle Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    If you are following calories based on your TDEE minus a percentage then the workout has already been accounted for. I have just started doing this and so do not eat back my calories. If you just follow your MFP calories as a guide then maybe eat back when you are hungry?
  • bhatius
    bhatius Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this question because I'm new to MFP and was a bit confused about this aspect. I guess we're supposed to eat them back to maintain a steady and safe loss of fat. However, after going through a few people's diets I see they're eating 500-1000 calories less than MFP recommends. I'm sure it leads to rapid weight loss (not necessarily fat loss) but isn't that unsafe?
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this question because I'm new to MFP and was a bit confused about this aspect. I guess we're supposed to eat them back to maintain a steady and safe loss of fat. However, after going through a few people's diets I see they're eating 500-1000 calories less than MFP recommends. I'm sure it leads to rapid weight loss (not necessarily fat loss) but isn't that unsafe?

Actually it doesn't lead to rapid weight loss for long. it will leads to you stalling out and not losing at all.
  • cplanoue41
    cplanoue41 Posts: 34 Member
    Options

Actually it doesn't lead to rapid weight loss for long. it will leads to you stalling out and not losing at all.

So true...I stalled out and had to up my calories to kick start the losing again.....lot's written about that on MFP boards
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    There's probably been heaps of posts about this topic before but anyway, I'm wanting to know whether it's best to eat back your exercise calories each day, if it helps you lose weight faster (and keep it off) to eat them back or not to eat them?

Also, if it's best to eat them back, then is it ok if you don't do it every day?

This.... :bigsmile:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
  • carolynbergen1
    Options
    You are supposed to be eating them back because of MFP methodology. As someone else stated in this thread, the way MFP calculates calories (which is way different than using other methods) is that your base calories are at bare bones levels. Yes, you are still at a caloric deficit and will lose weight if you bed ridden all day. You then "earn" extra calories when you exercise so you are supposed to eat them back. Other methods, such as using your TDEE, give you a certain amount of calories which is more per day than MFP, but those calories already take into account your exercise level, among other things. So you don't eat automatically eat them back. You do have to calculate your TDEE more often than MFP so you know if you should be consuming more or less calories per day or week when your weight changes or your exercise level changes. There's an EXCELLENT thread on here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/750920-spreadsheet-for-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones which includes a link to a download of an excel spreadsheet which explains all of this in great detail and also guides you through how to calculate your TDEE among other important numbers. It also explains that TDEE calculators and other numbers can/will vary. This masterpiece of which obviously took a lot of thought and time to do,and which I appreciate so very much, also gives you various choices of methods on the tabs and explains each method, PLUS it gives you a way to "tweak" MFP so that MFP will integrate nicely with whatever method you choose.IT answered so many of my questions, the "eating back cals" here was my number one question and concern and I never got a response to it. I guess the old hands here are tired of explaining it to the newbies.

One thing to note....ever play with your MFP settings? It's kind of a joke. You can say you want to lose 2 lbs per week, 1 lb or .5 or maintain, and it still gives you the exact same calculations. Never 2 lbs. Ever. Same as choosing Sedentary or Highly Active. Same. Iy doesn't matter at all so I am not sure what the point of even asking is. Now I understand why many of the most experienced members here and practically all the Personal Trainers and the Lifters say that 1200 cal sustained per day is unhealthy and also why they all seem to use TDEE.

Anyway, check out that thread if you are interested in this kind of thing. It's a fantastic tool, even if not well received by some.

Take care! .
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Here's the real question at hand. How TRULY accurate are you logging your calories burned. It's such a dynamic and involved process people eff it up all the time.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I don't, I have my tdee set based off the num of days I train, and the cardio is the extra cals I've accounted for to aid in weight-loss.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Joe does something similar to what I do and eat at maintenance and whatever exercise I do during the week will be my deficit.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I lose well eating them back so can't see the point in making myself hungry and miserable. I also want to keep my immune system as high as it can be so malnutrition isn't a desirable option for me.
  • LordBear
    LordBear Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    if your trying to lose weight. you are trying to get rid of calories not put them on. so dont eat back calories...
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Joe does something similar to what I do and eat at maintenance and whatever exercise I do during the week will be my deficit.

Kind of but no. I eat at a caloric deficit of about 500-800 a day. It zig-zags each day but is designed to put me in a big enough deficit to lose about 1.6lbs a week based off my lifting schedule (3-5 days a week). I add in cardio just for extras so I don't eat back.

ETA:
    So say for example I were to lift weights and burn 300-500 cals I don't add that to my diary, I only add cardio. The weight lifting day is accounted for based off my original TDEE calculation. One day I may be lower because of training but the next day I might be way closer to maintenance because of no training. Eating back would just cause me to overeat past my goals.

Plus eating back can be a big prob because most machines that estimate cals burned are SUPER inaccurate causing many to over estimate expenditure.