New to jogging - Any tips?

Options
I'd love to start jogging, mostly because it's free and there are no time restraints like there are with classes. The problem is, I currently can't jog for more than about 5 minutes without feeling like someone has stolen one of my lungs. I'm sure this will get better with practise, but does anyone have any tips on how to build up my stamina? Thanks :)

Replies

• natzkj
    natzkj Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • shelleycolton
    shelleycolton Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I'm new to jogging, i've started the couch 2 5k programme which is free to download with good upbeat music helps me, but i am on a treadmill till the snow is gone.
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    it sounds like cardio in general might be the same. That is part of getting in shape. Start with walks.. in fact, if you have a smart phone, download "couch to 5k" and you'll be running in no time flat.

Good luck!
  • travel_kat
    travel_kat Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it is the best advice I can give... Also try the http://www.c25k.com/.... Good luck and enjoy!
  • emtbabe
    emtbabe Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Walk for 60 seconds, light jog for 60 seconds. Never do less than 30 minutes (even if you have to walk) or there will be no benefits at all. No eating for 2-3 hours before hand. Maybe start with 20 mins a day with the on and off running/jogging and skip every other day. You CAN and WILL build up to a full jog for 30 minutes in less than a month. Promise!
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I tried the c25k but ended up going on my own.

If you felt that way after running for 5 mins, pace yourself and slow down a bit. That will give you stamina to run further. Then build upon the time you run. Once you can run a good distance for you then start upping your pace slowly.

I found walking fast with running sprints really helped me. I started back in Dec and can now run 10k at 5mph. Not super fast but at least I can run it. I also run with my baby and groceries if going shopping.

Lastly, make sure you have good trainers that are suited for you.

I love running and miss it when I can't get out!
  • whankammer
    whankammer Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I started running about a year ago and had the EXACT same problem. What worked for me was a mixture of Walking/Running Intervals. I used the c25k app from Active.com at first then tried other ones and REALLY enjoyed the Zombies, Run 5k Training app.

Make sure you find a pace that works for you, don't worry about speed right now that'll come in time. Find a pace that you can easily keep your breath steady enough to do 3 word sentences. If you get to where you CAN'T talk you're pushing to hard and you're gonna putter out rather quickly.

Another big thing is, if you're going to be running OUTSIDE, find a place that you REALLY enjoy and a ROUTE that you REALLY enjoy. Otherwise you'll get bored and want to stop. Change up your routes if you want but don't to it so often otherwise you won't become familiar with it. If you're running on a treadmill make sure to keep your incline at .5 or 1 to simulate the outside if you ever want to run outside.

Make sure to rest, research proper form, get fitted for proper running shoes, and after ALL of that.. Just get out there and enjoy it. Soon running will become your happy place. It's mine =)
  • ozigal
    ozigal Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Have to highly recommend the Couch 2 5km program (c25k). All you need to do is download it to your android phone or iphone, put some headphones in, play some music and off you go.

Before you do this make sure you go to a proper running shop (not a sports warehouse) and get custom fitted shoes and a sports bra. The shoes and bra will make a lot of difference. Ideally they should check your gait, custom make some insoles for you if required and let you try on a few appropriate shoes for your gait. This will ensure you dont hurt yourself (and besides, once you have spent all that money on running shoes and a new bra, are you going to give up easily? :)

I am on Week 2 of c25k. I found my first run really easy and it gave me too much confidence. I really struggled through my second run because I tried to go too fast. My legs were jelly and I couldnt breathe. My 3rd and 4th runs have been easy compared to that 2nd run because I learned my lesson. Dont try and go too fast. Keep the runs slow to start with. There is no shame in starting slowly. Just by getting out and doing the run you are doing better than 99% of the people out there who have no motivation to do it at all.

Set yourself a goal for added motivation. In the UK there are park runs every weekend. Commit to one for when you finish the c25k program and go and do it. I have my run on May 18th. I'm looking forward to it. I'm also committed to another run in August in Sydney, Australia and will need to build myself up for that but I WILL do it. Since it is 14km, I might have to walk part of it but I am going to do it.

Good luck and I hope this helps :)
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Just google Couch to 5k programs- there are a bunch of different ones. Essentially, you just do intervals for as long as you can, take a short walking break and repeat for 30 minutes, adding time to your running interval each day you go out.
  • Tenorninja1
    Options
    I'm new too and what I find most difficult is I pay too much attention to the fact that I'm joggin and how much pain I could potentially be in, then how much pain I am in, then how much I wish I could stop. So I try to find ways to distract myself. Focus on your form and your music. Let your mind wander. I listen to the Zombies, run! app and in between storyline clips they play your music so ill think about the meanings of the words or try to imagine how I'd make my own music video to them. I'm in NJROTC so sometimes ill sing Jodies out loud if no one is around.
  • nickip91
    nickip91 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all your advice guys & gals. It seems everyone rates the C25K approach. I've had a look on my android play store and there are so many apps for this! Can anyone recommend one they use which is any good? Thanks :) x
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Just jog, don't focus on time, don't focus on distance, just jog, everyday you jog it will get better, you will go faster, you will go farther..
  • michellelemorgan
    michellelemorgan Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    A wise runner once said to me "slow down if you have to. Just don't stop."
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Definitely couch to 5K, and consistency! You don't just have to jog to get better at jogging either. I hadn't gone for a run in about 3 months, and the other day I got on the treadmill and ran 4 miles without a problem, but it was because I had been keeping my endurance up with other cardio workouts and weightlifting. As long as you keep working out at least a few times a week, it will keep getting bettter.
  • katerinajulia
    katerinajulia Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I started just by alternating walking for 30 seconds and running for 30 seconds.
    10 weeks later and I alternate running for .75 miles and walking for .25 miles.
    It will take time, but you can get there.
  • seeled
    seeled Posts: 93
    Options

Before you do this make sure you go to a proper running shop (not a sports warehouse) and get custom fitted shoes and a sports bra. The shoes and bra will make a lot of difference. Ideally they should check your gait, custom make some insoles for you if required and let you try on a few appropriate shoes for your gait. This will ensure you dont hurt yourself (and besides, once you have spent all that money on running shoes and a new bra, are you going to give up easily? :)

SHOES, SHOES, SHOES, and start slow and work your way up. Watch the surface you run on as well. After running in my old shoes on the road, I have shin splints that wont seem to go away! Probably because I wont take a long enough break from walking or running for them to heal.
    I wouldn't run 20 feet when I started. I can run over 3 miles now. I am sure I could do more if I wanted but havent tried. Been thinking about signing up for 5K but haven't motivated myself to do that yet,
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Slow down. I'ts a very common mistake that new runners make, to go as fast as they can. Don't. Run at a pace that you can keep going at for 5 minutes, then add on another minute or 2 each time you run.

And get decent running shoes.

For short runs, you probably dont need to worry too much about what to eat beforehand or when, that'll be the fine tuning you do a few months down the line.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all your advice guys & gals. It seems everyone rates the C25K approach. I've had a look on my android play store and there are so many apps for this! Can anyone recommend one they use which is any good? Thanks :) x

I used this free one, which worked well for me.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.guyhoffman.c25k
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Just push through it. I did. I could get as far as the end of the street & feel like I needed to stop. I would keep going, just remembering to breathe. I would tell myself I was just out for a walk & would be back soon. You get through that horrid breathless part. Don't take off so fast & it helps.

Oh and as for eating beforehand, DONT. Trust me your stomach wont like food in there. Unless you are running to the toilet.
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    START SLOW. Couch to 5K programs. Or if you aren't necessarily trying to train for anything try walking 2 minutes, running 2 minutes (or whatever interval you're comfortable with)... and alternate as long as you can (20-30 min.). A Time Ironman Interval watch is great for this :) Good luck and JUST HAVE FUN!